CSL Barn Find 2285251

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
More work on the motor today.
Finally got the upper timing cover back on after having to fix a stripped out thread. Was also able to get the water pump back on and the inlet manifold back together.

IMG_4879.jpg

Also got stuck into the gearbox. Drained the oil and replaced all of the seals. The selector shaft seal looked to be original and was a doozy to get out.
Managed to spill oil all over the place as well.

IMG_4880.jpg

Still have a load of engine bay bits to clean or replace ahead of my next W&N order arriving.

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Just got back from an evening session on the motor.
Managed the following:

Tappets have been set;
Thermostat fitted;
Distributor fitted;
Rocker cover on - looks great with the chrome cap nuts @sfdon provided;
Gear box back together, apart from the shaft linkages;

IMG_4897.jpg

My latest W&N order should have all I need to finish the rebuild to the point where we can return it to the car.
Looks a bit different from when I pulled it from the car!

IMG_4637.jpg

Reaction score
Great story. I live in Melbourne and are nearly 95% through a restoration of a 1969 BMW 2800CS I bought out of the UK four years ago. The car was from California and had only been in the UK for 3 months when I bought it at auction.

Great to hear you scored this barn find from Perth. Looks like a fantastic project.

Have been involved with Targa Tasmania over the past few years as part of the Shannons Classic Tour and really love Tasmania. Real drivers roads across the island.

Hope to get the BMW down there once we are allowed out of Victoria. Would love to see the project in the flesh at some stage.

Cheers

Richard Sherman - 2800CS 2280028

20190802_100856.jpg
20191030_182450.jpg
20190802_100925.jpg

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Great story. I live in Melbourne and are nearly 95% through a restoration of a 1969 BMW 2800CS I bought out of the UK four years ago. The car was from California and had only been in the UK for 3 months when I bought it at auction.

Great to hear you scored this barn find from Perth. Looks like a fantastic project.

Have been involved with Targa Tasmania over the past few years as part of the Shannons Classic Tour and really love Tasmania. Real drivers roads across the island.

Hope to get the BMW down there once we are allowed out of Victoria. Would love to see the project in the flesh at some stage.

Cheers

Richard Sherman - 2800CS 2280028

View attachment 98415View attachment 98416View attachment 98417
You need to get down here when it's safe to do so. I've also a restored 72 CS, so always up for a drive.

Here is a film BMW did on it last year:

W.

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Red letter day at the workshop today.

Fist off motor back into the engine bay:

image1 (3).JPG

Then gear box and prop shaft back in the car:

image2 (1).JPG

We finished out the day with plumbing back in the engine and running all of the wiring back to the motor.
Planning another full day tomorrow where we will finish out the engine bay and cooling system. Then attention will turn to the brakes and other systems.
Ideally we should be in a position to attempt to start the engine at the end of the week.
But for now I'm putting my feet up a bit as worn out.

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Loads more progress today.

image1 (3).JPG

All of the brake and clutch lines are finished and ready to bleed tomorrow. Also test fitted a certain set of restored wheels.
All of the cooling system is also finished, along with the ignition circuit and most of the under dash wiring.
We finished the day with adding the engine oil and flicking to switch to see if she would turn over. Turned over on the first go, a big relief as wiring isn't my thing.
I can't seem to figure out the wiring for the oil pressure switch as I don't seem to have anywhere to plug it in but will post in the help pages.

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Spent another whole day on the car and things have really started to come together now.
Few electrical gremlins to sort but think I've a handle on them. Tomorrow I plan to bleed the brakes/clutch and go over all the suspension.

The big news was the engine ran for the first time in 37 years..
Will post some pics later.

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Here is my CSL Tasmanian delivery specification side exhaust, even rarer than the Swiss all steel doors
*Kidding. Just didn't want mess over my clean body work and we needed to start tuning the engine. Stainless exhaust kit arrives in a couple of weeks.

image1 (3).JPG

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Another day on the tools. Today We bled the clutch up and the brakes. The latter are still a little soft for my liking as I suspect there is still some in the lines around the rear brakes or proportioning valve, as the front brakes are rock solid. My exhaust is a couple of weeks away so we wont tune the engine until then as you can't hear yourself think with it running without an exhaust..

Still having some electrical gremlins as most of my gauges are not wanting to work properly. For example, the oil pressure light comes on before the ignition is moved to the crank position and it wont turn off. I know it's wired right thanks to Don. The fuel gauge is also playing up and the taco is a non-starter. I think the issue might be a faulty ground or a loose positive from something not connected, such as tail lights, touching the chassis. I plan to re-fit all of the still stripped out electrical components and then tick them off one by one. Hopefully without running out of spare fuses.

For those of you that can't remember what the engine bay looked like before we started:

20181015_144938.jpg

IMG_4297.jpg

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
After what seemed an age my stainless exhaust finally arrived from the UK and is now fitted to the car.

image1 (6).JPG

Think we are on the home run for the mechanical stuff now as the last big job is going over all the suspension to tighten it all down.
Have managed to run down almost all of the electrical gremlins now and have all the dash working. The injectors are still giving some trouble but think this may be as simple as a loose electrical connection. The plan is to sort this when we do final commissioning as I'll get a new set of plugs and covers for the injector harness.
Hopefully these last couple of mechanical jobs will happen this week and then we are back to the body shop for a short wait and then top coat of the body and hanging panels.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Looks just absolutely great!

Huge amount of quality work. And now you know more than most Csl owners because you have actually taken one completely apart and put it back together.
I’m impressed.

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi, Can I ask where in the UK you got the Exhaust system from ?
Cheers
Rob

I went with Jaymic mate. There was a bit of stuffing around with freight delay due to Covid but I've always found them pretty good to deal with. Think they are actually made in Italy.

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
No pictures but spent some time on the car today.
All the the suspension has now been tensioned and the car moved under its own steam for the first time.
There still seems to be a slight miss in one cylinder but it's running better than before after working through the troubleshooting guide @sfdon gave me.
We also hooked the motor up to a smoke machine to see if we had an air leak in the intake/injector system. This saved hours of diagnostic work as it showed there was an air leak on the cold start valve. I also double checked the ignition circuit for spark, confirmed the CPU is telling the injectors to fire in addition to sensor in the distributor.
I suspect we will eliminate the miss completely once I replace the electrical plugs and boots for the injectors as the only other issue(s) that could be causing is an issue with an injector or a poor ground connection. I don't think it's an injector as the multi-meter gives them all the same resistance reading.
On the down side we've lost brakes, which is a bit odd as we haven't dropped any fluid. I had a suspicion that the rear proportioning valve has an air lock in it. Will look at that issue next time.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Btw- compare spark at coil to spark at plug and you did use the csi rotor and points not the carb ones? Fresh not old condenser?

The rotor is NLA but can be bought NOS in Sixth of October City in Egypt cheap!

Almost gone so buy quickly.

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Cold start injector or additional air slide valve?
One should leak air when cold, one should never leak.
The AAV is now available cheap ? brand new for what I used to charge for rebuilt.

Bought the air slide valve new from W&N. There was an air leak from one of the hoses going to it.
Running the correct rotor but might grab one of those NOS ones just to be sure.
Never thought it could be a condenser issue so will also look at that.