CSL Barn Find 2285251

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
More progress on the car. The bonnet and boot have now been fitted. The window mechanisms are also back in the car. A particularly tricky job was getting the hood lining back in place as it was very dry and had shrunk roughly 2 inches on each side of the car. After a couple of days of misting it down with a mix of water and cabriolet cleaner it stretched out back to where it originally was. Have also trial fitted the rear quarter windows and them seem fine. Still a lot to do but feel like things are coming together fairly quickly now. This week will see the parcel shelf and rear seat belts fitted in order to allow fitting the rear screen. The front screen will also be fitted.

Ideally the belt trim will also go back on this week but can't find the 2 x front fender pieces for the life of me. I know they came off the car so must be in the shed somewhere. How do you misplace something so big...

image1 (7).JPG

image2 (2).JPG

image3.JPG

Mal CSL 3.0

Site Donor
Reaction score
Looking great Wes. Did you decide with or without the rear CSL small boot spoiler?

(They are a PIA getting them to fit neatly)

Reactions: Wes

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
More progress this week.
Both the front and rear screens are in after some jiggling and holding your mouth just the right way.
The rear screen and quarter windows are perspex as it should have been in the Limeys hadn't messed with it.
The door windows are glass but have installed manual regulators for the same reason.
Also found the missing belt trim - it was where I left it 18 months ago....
The remainder of the external trim will go on after hopefully my last W&N order arrives.
This week the aim is to finish installing the second rear quarter window, mount front seat belts - this requires some messing around on account of the fixed windows.
Other jobs that can also now occur include roof hoop, carpet, rear seats and bonnet rubbers (when they arrive.
Then we turn our attention to finishing the rear bumper, outer sill covers, door trims etc.
Aim is to be on the road prior to April 24..

image1 (7).JPG

For comparison:

20181015_144616.jpg

image2 (2).JPG

And again:
Note the exhaust...

20181015_144658.jpg

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Wonderful stuff for the Unbeatable BMW!

questions- is AC needed in Tasmania?

no rear fog light?

factory exhaust?

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I'd go with AC for summer as it does hit 40 deg Celsius here. We also have no Ozone Layer. No way on earth I'd retrofit in the CSL - just put the windows down and go faster!
There was provision for one of those rectangular Bosch rear fog lights that sit under the bumper but one was never fitted to the rear valance.
The exhaust is all stainless and came from Jaymic - made in Italy for the RHD cars fitted up pretty well.
Perspex windows are from Lexan in the UK - took around 12 weeks from order to delivery.

Very tempted to get a new 'Unbeatable BMW' sticker for the rear screen.

E3-3.0Si

Reaction score
I'd go with AC for summer as it does hit 40 deg Celsius here. We also have no Ozone Layer. No way on earth I'd retrofit in the CSL - just put the windows down and go faster!
There was provision for one of those rectangular Bosch rear fog lights that sit under the bumper but one was never fitted to the rear valance.
The exhaust is all stainless and came from Jaymic - made in Italy for the RHD cars fitted up pretty well.
Perspex windows are from Lexan in the UK - took around 12 weeks from order to delivery.

Very tempted to get a new 'Unbeatable BMW' sticker for the rear screen.

I know a guy in the UK who makes replica decals and he does the 'Unbeatable BMW' ones. Just a small point of interest, the Unbeatable BMW slogan was coined by BMW Concessionaires GB at the end of the 1973 season to celebrate BMW winning the following championships: European Formula 2, European Touring Cars, and Group 1 of the Castrol Saloon Car Championship in the UK.

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Another weekend and more jobs ticked off.
These jobs look simple but there's a load of stuffing around to get things sitting just right. :D
Air dam installed - tick..
@BBOY that's your nose trim and CSL arches. Before anybody asks they are the proper BMW ones as have the original stickers on the back and the sharp edges.

IMG-4535.jpg

Roof hoop installed - tick..
That was made by a Werner Hand as his stamp on it.
Still have to fit all the rubbers and pinch grip around the door frames.
Also have to fit B Pillar trim.

image2 (2).JPG

Rear bumper fitted - tick..
Have also made a start on the lightweight carpet from KHM.
Still have some mucking around to do with the quarter panel window rubbers as they aren't seating correctly.
@deQuincey can you spot your aerial?
Ducktail spoiler will go on shortly.
@Markos none of your parts here other than the tow hook - not for want of us trying though :D

image1 (7).JPG

Other jobs completed included fitting the seat belts along with the inside trim below the rear quarter panel windows. Anybody know what the large hole in the card are for? The parts book doesn't show anything fitting inside. Have seen another CSL with rubber grommets.
Dropping some more parts off in the morning. Running out of jobs until my next W&N order arrives this week.

nosmonkey

In Rust We Trust
Site Donor
Reaction score
This is coming along great Wes. Many an envious restoration candidate e9ers on here I think, me included! Can't wait to be at the stage you're at although it is satisfying having less and less rust fall out the car every day, although maybe when that stops we should worry as it means there's nothing leftl

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
So. A fair bit has been going on since my last post on this thread. In no particular order:

1. Accepted a promotion at the other end of Tasmania - starting March 29;
2. Have to 'rentovate' my home so we can rent it out when we move up north;
3. Pack our existing house up;
4. Have put an offer on a new house at the other end of Tasmania and need to settle the sale;
5. Organise a handover for my existing role;
6. Look at school options for the kids..

Oh, and on top of all that finish the CSL...
To that end, it's been all go on the car. Apart from some interior trim and the boot spoiler it's basically ready for its roadworthy.
Yet to fit @sfdon mirrors as some idiot forgot to order the rubber seals from W&N last time (me)..

image1 (7).JPG

Looks a little different than before.

20181015_144533.jpg

All the electrics are sorted and work like they should. I'm still waiting on the pinstripe to arrive - got to love Covid delays..

Most of the interior is also in. Have left a few special CSL bits out as as I don't want mechanics climbing all over them.

image2 (2).JPG

And before:

20181015_144845.jpg

Back seat is basically complete.

image3.JPG

And before:

20181015_144813.jpg

To paraphrase Kurt Cobain 'one W&N order left to go and we are done and the car can go home.'
I expect to have the car complete in the next two weeks or so. Then depending on other commitments it will either go for roadworthy or into storage until I've settled into my new job.

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Thought it was time for an update.
My life is a bit manic at present as I'm madly renovating our house of a weekend to get it ready to rent out as I've taken a new job at the other end of the state. On top of that I take possession of our new house in a couple of weeks and will need to move house. There's a 600km round trip commute between the two!.
I have had some time to keep the car moving along though. Today the tow truck arrived to take my baby to Hobart BMW for the final commissioning work and to get it's road worthy ticket ahead of restoration. They are going to keep hold of the car for me while I'm moving and will display it in their showroom. It's going to feature as the backdrop for the Tasmanian launch of the new M3 and M4.
There a still a few small jobs to do like run down some small interior trim sections and the like but I'm basically done. True to form it wouldn't bloody start this morning. Seems the fuel pump is dead.

Anyway here are a couple of pics.

*Before anybody chimes in there's one feature that's not right at present but it will get us over the pit test. @Markos can you figure it out?

IMG_0066.jpg

IMG_0069.jpg

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
*Before anybody chimes in there's one feature that's not right at present but it will get us over the pit test. @Markos can you figure it out?

Darn don’t put me on the spot like that. I’m gravitating towards the rear tow hook. I can’t see it in any pics.

My eye is drawn to your black wiper blade holders. I’m surprised that the dealership accepted it t in that condition!

Looks amazing! Remember, we are hard on process, not on people!

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Darn don’t put me on the spot like that. I’m gravitating towards the rear tow hook. I can’t see it in any pics.

My eye is drawn to your black wiper blade holders. I’m surprised that the dealership accepted it t in that condition!

Looks amazing! Remember, we are hard on process, not on people!

Nup.. :)