CSL For Sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
Were there euro-delivery "City Packs", or was "City Pack" an UK-only marketing strategy?

Isn't what we have here a dealer who made a purchase for re-sale, and assigned a high asking price (probably paid a high price) without even seeing the car, let alone having the knowledge or consideration for what makes a high-priced CSL a high-priced CSL. Even with 30k of spares (and I apologize for not making concession for that part of the description) the asking price is unrealistically high for what appears to be an older and rather lackluster collision-repair. 30k can buy a lot of resto bits even at today's BMW Mobil Tradition prices, maybe more than this car needs. A very nicely-restored white lightweight, properly restored RHD car sold out of the UK for ~20K GBP. Thats about the max this project is worth, pending an inspection and provided the spares and other items the seller has described can be verified as well.

Pass if more than 1/3 the asking price

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
Were there euro-delivery "City Packs", or was "City Pack" an UK-only marketing strategy?

Isn't what we have here a dealer who made a purchase for re-sale, and assigned a high asking price (probably paid a high price) without even seeing the car, let alone having the knowledge or consideration for what makes a high-priced CSL a high-priced CSL. Even with 30k of spares (and I apologize for not making concession for that part of the description) the asking price is unrealistically high for what appears to be an older and rather lackluster collision-repair. 30k can buy a lot of resto bits even at today's BMW Mobil Tradition prices, maybe more than this car needs. A very nicely-restored white lightweight, properly restored RHD car sold out of the UK for ~20K GBP. Thats about the max this project is worth, pending an inspection and provided the spares and other items the seller has described can be verified as well.

chicane

Reaction score
9Werks said:
chicane said:

PO is looking at the nose on the photos of the Golf car and not seeing how it's different from his.

Condition and stable/documented history are probably the most important aspects of purchasing one of these cars (besides of course the obvious rust issues). If you don't have the first two, no one serious is going to bother looking any further.

chicane

Reaction score
9Werks said:
chicane said:

PO is looking at the nose on the photos of the Golf car and not seeing how it's different from his.

Condition and stable/documented history are probably the most important aspects of purchasing one of these cars (besides of course the obvious rust issues). If you don't have the first two, no one serious is going to bother looking any further.

RonP

Reaction score

Dale, all CSLs were euro delivery. And you and I both know that the RHD CSLs are worth considerably less than the LHD models. This thread is very reminiscent of one I remember quite well. First of all, if you read the original thread, the current seller is only selling the car for a friend/client that purchased a Porsche from him. I don't have any idea what he will make on the sale, but I don't know anyone that has responded to this thread that is being harassed outside of their workplace with signs protesting the fact that they will be bringing home a paycheck on Friday!!! No one here has even seen this car in person, but yet are passing judgement on it as if you all have driven the car, know all of it's owners, have known the car as if a neighbor of yours owned it since new. Give the guy a break for cryin' out loud! He has been honest and forthwith with every question and I don't think he deserves any of this B.S.

This forum was created to help fellow coupe owners across the country, not to broadside them or kick them in the nuts or act like you are the formost authority on all things CSL. I think John has been quite humble.

My .02FWIW

RonP

Reaction score

Dale, all CSLs were euro delivery. And you and I both know that the RHD CSLs are worth considerably less than the LHD models. This thread is very reminiscent of one I remember quite well. First of all, if you read the original thread, the current seller is only selling the car for a friend/client that purchased a Porsche from him. I don't have any idea what he will make on the sale, but I don't know anyone that has responded to this thread that is being harassed outside of their workplace with signs protesting the fact that they will be bringing home a paycheck on Friday!!! No one here has even seen this car in person, but yet are passing judgement on it as if you all have driven the car, know all of it's owners, have known the car as if a neighbor of yours owned it since new. Give the guy a break for cryin' out loud! He has been honest and forthwith with every question and I don't think he deserves any of this B.S.

This forum was created to help fellow coupe owners across the country, not to broadside them or kick them in the nuts or act like you are the formost authority on all things CSL. I think John has been quite humble.

My .02FWIW

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
RonP said:

My .02FWIW

1) you can call it b.s. thats your right Ron,
but I know that all flippers/dealers/"restorers" do not de facto have a vested interest in candid rigor.

2) My question was: were "city pack" cars UK only, or were they also available in Europe?

3) For cryin out loud when should a dealer looking to make a buck escape scrutiny?

4) Photograph on monitors or laptop screens can be a difficult medium to verify sound condition of a vehicle. They can far easily reveal a substandard car. From what was posted, this car does not meet the standard set by other, known cars sold recently for far less.

Just blowing up the fotos you posted for your buddy show problems with the wheel arches (by the way where are the 2-3000 dollar CSL extentions?) nose and headlight alignment (or is the left high beam and left side headlight bucket the very rare "popeye" version?)

5) All that said, Ron, why don't YOU plunk down 87 large for this project car, and refinish it? I guarantee you, I'd shut up if YOU did that.

Dale "time to unclick the notify me when a reply is posted box" Phelps
Montagna lunga Colorado USA

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
RonP said:

My .02FWIW

but I know that all flippers/dealers/"restorers" do not de facto have a vested interest in candid rigor.

2) My question was: were "city pack" cars UK only, or were they also available in Europe?

3) For cryin out loud when should a dealer looking to make a buck escape scrutiny?

4) Photograph on monitors or laptop screens can be a difficult medium to verify sound condition of a vehicle. They can far easily reveal a substandard car. From what was posted, this car does not meet the standard set by other, known cars sold recently for far less.

Just blowing up the fotos you posted for your buddy show problems with the wheel arches (by the way where are the 2-3000 dollar CSL extentions?) nose and headlight alignment (or is the left high beam and left side headlight bucket the very rare "popeye" version?)

5) All that said, Ron, why don't YOU plunk down 87 large for this project car, and refinish it? I guarantee you, I'd shut up if YOU did that.

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
This thread is a disgrace. I only hope the original poster doesn't take it to heart and can have a laugh at it.

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
This thread is a disgrace. I only hope the original poster doesn't take it to heart and can have a laugh at it.

chicane

Reaction score
30csl said:

Why is it a disgrace. THere are legitimate questions here.

chicane

Reaction score
30csl said:

chicane

Reaction score
dp said:

What he said ^^^.

Look dealers using the excuse that I am just selling it for a friend, blah blah blah, is just that. Dealers seem to relish knowing as little about a car as possible when should try to know as much about a car as possible. There seems to be numerous issues with this car. Until the OP can provide info I will reserve judgement, but I do know it is NOT an $87K car.

chicane

Reaction score
dp said:

What he said ^^^.

Look dealers using the excuse that I am just selling it for a friend, blah blah blah, is just that. Dealers seem to relish knowing as little about a car as possible when should try to know as much about a car as possible. There seems to be numerous issues with this car. Until the OP can provide info I will reserve judgement, but I do know it is NOT an $87K car.

eastsideM3

Reaction score
chicane said:
dp said:

What he said ^^^.

If someone pays the price it could be. :) So difficult to find one of these cars with all the original parts. So many details that need to be known, to determine it. Besides the most common items that came on a CSL, unless someone has an obsessive knowledge of these cars from the 70's its very difficult to determine if a car is 100% correct. They all are missing something, and that includes the meticulously restored Alpina CSL. That in turn creates a lot of false markets and poor selling and buying decisions.
Most common is someones false belief they have something exactly the same as to what sold for big money when in fact they do not. There is a reason the good original cars fetch big money, because they are few and far between.

eastsideM3

Reaction score
chicane said:
dp said:

What he said ^^^.

If someone pays the price it could be. :) So difficult to find one of these cars with all the original parts. So many details that need to be known, to determine it. Besides the most common items that came on a CSL, unless someone has an obsessive knowledge of these cars from the 70's its very difficult to determine if a car is 100% correct. They all are missing something, and that includes the meticulously restored Alpina CSL. That in turn creates a lot of false markets and poor selling and buying decisions.
Most common is someones false belief they have something exactly the same as to what sold for big money when in fact they do not. There is a reason the good original cars fetch big money, because they are few and far between.

RonP

Reaction score

Because you are consistently caustic and abrasive to whom ever you chose to be-so no one is safe from your constant tounge lashing at CSL sellers. The problem is your ignorance and speculation.

I have a check in to see it this is actually a City Package car with a formost authority and will get back to this thread to confirm. However, it seems as if you have already determined that it isn't and have lashed out at the seller wondering where the plexi windows, the lightweight bumper, and why the car has a front bumper!

Also, the Golf yellow CSL that sold last year (from my inside information) was full of rust. I know who purchased the car and it will easily be a $100k restoration.

Furthermore, the car looks to be sound as it sits. There are some cosmetic changes that are easy to fix that would certainly add more appeal to it's present state, but I see no reason to publicly bash a car so badly, try to discredit the seller, and speculate that he or the car is a fraud.

I am sure there are E9 coupe owners in Florida and I think it would be prudent to have whomever is close to the seller's location to go see the car in person and give a professional opinion of the car first hand and report back.

I do have an idea that the car is a City Package, but the problem is that BMW didn't keep very good records on their early cars. Once I find out, I will report back.

On another note, I didn't see any responses from you on this thread with proof of current CSL sales.

http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5041&highlight=

Nor did I see you comment on the price of this car at $125,000-which by the way....has already sold last year to the current owner for the same price.

http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4787

I guess what I am trying to say, is that I don't feel you add anything positive by your ignorant comments.

My .02 FWIW

RonP

Reaction score

Because you are consistently caustic and abrasive to whom ever you chose to be-so no one is safe from your constant tounge lashing at CSL sellers. The problem is your ignorance and speculation.

I have a check in to see it this is actually a City Package car with a formost authority and will get back to this thread to confirm. However, it seems as if you have already determined that it isn't and have lashed out at the seller wondering where the plexi windows, the lightweight bumper, and why the car has a front bumper!

Also, the Golf yellow CSL that sold last year (from my inside information) was full of rust. I know who purchased the car and it will easily be a $100k restoration.

Furthermore, the car looks to be sound as it sits. There are some cosmetic changes that are easy to fix that would certainly add more appeal to it's present state, but I see no reason to publicly bash a car so badly, try to discredit the seller, and speculate that he or the car is a fraud.

I am sure there are E9 coupe owners in Florida and I think it would be prudent to have whomever is close to the seller's location to go see the car in person and give a professional opinion of the car first hand and report back.

I do have an idea that the car is a City Package, but the problem is that BMW didn't keep very good records on their early cars. Once I find out, I will report back.

On another note, I didn't see any responses from you on this thread with proof of current CSL sales.

http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5041&highlight=

Nor did I see you comment on the price of this car at $125,000-which by the way....has already sold last year to the current owner for the same price.

http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4787

I guess what I am trying to say, is that I don't feel you add anything positive by your ignorant comments.

My .02 FWIW

Status
Not open for further replies.