CSL Redo for Vintage Racing

lafngrvy

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I took the CSL over to Bend, OR yesterday where German Master Tech will begin the restoration of the car in preparation for next summers racing.

The plan is to build a replica of the 1973 Schnitzer car (silver & orange) that was driven by Brambilla and Pescarolo.

I will post photos and updates as I can.

I've attached a photo of our target car, and a photo of my car arriving at GMT's shop yesterday.

Wish me luck! :-D

Steve

Attachments

• targetcar.jpg
    targetcar.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 999
  • inbend.jpg
    inbend.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 885

chicane

Reaction score
i took the csl over to bend, or yesterday where german master tech will begin the restoration of the car in preparation for next summers racing.

The plan is to build a replica of the 1973 schnitzer car (silver & orange) that was driven by brambilla and pescarolo.

I will post photos and updates as i can.

I've attached a photo of our target car, and a photo of my car arriving at gmt's shop yesterday.

Wish me luck! :-d

steve

good luck!!! :D

CSL 1973

Reaction score
Good luck Steve!

Very nice car - may I ask which VIN your CSL-72 has got?

Cheers

Mario L.

Reaction score
So are your plans to go from the Gruppe 5 flares back to the Gruppe II flares with the closed front and closed back? Or are you leaving the present set and changing the color scheme?

lafngrvy

Site Donor $
Reaction score
The fenders I ordered from Zap Racing in England arrived Friday afternoon. They are very well made parts, and I was impressed with how well Chris packaged them. They arrived with no broken edges or corners. They are copies of the 1973 Schnitzer Grp. 2 fenders. Several photos are attached. The Grp. 4 fenders that are currently on the car have been spoken for, and will be mounted on another racing CSL, if we can get them off the car in one piece.

I also heard yesterday from Tim @ GMT that they had removed the engine yesterday and would begin on the rest of the driveline on Monday.

Several Questions have been asked about my car. Its VIN is 2275204. It was originally a street car (Verona red), and was converted to a race car in the early 1990's. It ran BMW Club, SCCA, and some vintage races in the Midwest, retiring in August of 2000. The car then sat for about 8 years. I ran it three races last summer, with a best finish of 1st in GT3 at the Rose Cup races.

Yannik mentioned that the silver/orange Schnitzer car never existed. Brambilla and Pescarolo were paired in the 1973 1000 Km race at the Nurburgring in the car #16. They qualified 6th and DNF'd after an accident. I would point anyone interested to the following sites for additional information:

Photos: http://homepage.mac.com/frank_de_jong/Pages/p 1973 Nurburgring.html

Race results: http://homepage.mac.com/frank_de_jong/Races/1973 Nurburgring.html

roundel

Reaction score
Lafngrvy,
What Yannick is pointing out is that the picture you attached of a `Schnitzer` car #10 is actually of a replica car built here in England recently & that the fenders were sourced same as yours. But they are the wrong style, as Schnitzer cars always used the old arches from 1972 on their cars.
The original car does still exist, very close to me. Unfortunately it has lost it`s original fenders & is now Gp 5 style.
It is possible I can help with the parts you are looking for, send me a message & we can discuss.
Alex.

lafngrvy

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Alex & Yannick,

I know that the picture I included is of a replica car with mis-matched fenders that are not true to the original Schnitzer car. I mis-understood what Yannick was trying to say. After I posted my reply and re-read what he said I understood what he meant. Mea culpa.

My intent is to do something other then the usual white w/tri-colored stripes. The silver/orange is eye-catching and very visible in my opponent's rear view mirror when I come up to pass. :twisted:

Alex, thank you for the offer of help. I will let you know if there is anything I can't find around here.

lafngrvy

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Here are some shots of the disassembly work thus far. Tim is finding some damage in the floor pan, but nothing too serious. The roll cage is all coming out. It is made from seamed tubing and not DOM. How someone could race that way is beyond me. Engine will be shipped to Korman early next week for tear-down and analysis.
CSLDisassem_1.jpg

CSLDisAssem_2.jpg

CSLisassem_3.jpg

bdigel

Reaction score
No offense , but that cage is porly designed , besides the the tubeing. Don't think it would pass tech with BMW CCA CR, and other nitpicky orgs. it looks like The harness bar doesn't go all the way across?? None of the bars are triagulated?? the bends in the down tubes around the dash?
Ive been racing an e12 based car for 7 years and Im getting ready to start my own cs race project for BMW CR and NASA GTS!
I'll be watching your project closely! thanks for sharing

lafngrvy

Site Donor $
Reaction score
No offense , but that cage is porly designed , besides the the tubeing. Don't think it would pass tech with BMW CCA CR, and other nitpicky orgs. it looks like The harness bar doesn't go all the way across?? None of the bars are triagulated?? the bends in the down tubes around the dash?
Ive been racing an e12 based car for 7 years and Im getting ready to start my own cs race project for BMW CR and NASA GTS!
I'll be watching your project closely! thanks for sharing

No offense taken. I didn't build the cage, but I get to redo it and make it safe and legal. I think it was built on the cheap many years ago. It did pass SCCA tech last summer, but I'm not sure they looked all that closely at it.

It is a real hodge-podge, and not at all safe. For example, if you look closely at the down tubes at the front you will see they are mounted on a little triangulated pedestal barely larger then the tube itself. These are not welded to the floor, but are welded to plates on the main structure tubes running under the door sills. If the car went over and landed on its roof these would break away immediately and punch out through the floor. You can see it more clearly in this shot:

pedals.jpg

bdigel

Reaction score
yeah that is kinda scary looking, too bad you have to redo all that work, but the good news is you can get a cage that might stiffen the car up and make it preform better! here a couple of pic's from my 5er
you gonna stick with the 12 vavle engine?
BD #112 Black and blue

Attachments

• new dash 009.jpg
    new dash 009.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 476
  • new dash 002.jpg
    new dash 002.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 468
  • finished shifter 001.jpg
    finished shifter 001.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 469

lafngrvy

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Well, everything is about out of the tub. Here are a couple of shots as it sits today. Tim and Johnathan have been making great progress.

We are finding a bit more rot and wreckage then we expected in the tub, but nothing that cannot be fixed. It seems the former owner did a bit of off track sightseeing, leaving the floor panels bent and torn in a couple of places. :oops:

Next is finish cutting the old cage out of her, get the tub on the chassis cart and over to the body shop while the engine is crated and sent to Korman.

CSLDisAssmbly_1.jpg

CSLDisAssmbly_2.jpg

bdigel

Reaction score
Ah road rash! My last off resulted in a driveshaft comeing though the floor board!! you've got a lot less work to do than me!
keep the pic's comming

chicane

Reaction score
No offense taken. I didn't build the cage, but I get to redo it and make it safe and legal. I think it was built on the cheap many years ago. It did pass SCCA tech last summer, but I'm not sure they looked all that closely at it.

If it passed an SCCA inspection it should be good enough for other race organizations. Nobody is more nit-picky than SCCA. All you should have to do is should them your vehicle's logbook.

lafngrvy

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Well the heavy lifting of the disassembly is complete. Shell is ready to go to the body shop, and the engine is headed east to Korman.

I don't think there will be much progress now until after the New Year.

Steve

caroncart.jpg

enginecrate.jpg