D-Jetronic Rebuild

12doplumbing

Reaction score
I would like to rebuild my fuel injection system; from the ECU forward, if possible. I want peace of mind in my rebuild, so swapping out all electrical and fuel components with new (aftermarket recommendations okay) is what I want. The 123Ignition thread intrigued me, but I'd have to switch to the L-Jet to achieve the programming which that thread commented on. I am unclear if this swap is worth it, or how to accomplish it.
Anyone know of sources and a punch list for completely redoing this ignition and fuel system?
Appreciate feedback.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 1,650

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Is it not running correctly?

D-jet is a good system. My mechanic and I went through all the connections with a fine toothed comb, resoldering and cleaning all the connections. We found a few wires that were compromised.

The system has been working flawllessly for 4 years.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The ECU is NLA
The TPS is 125.
The MPS is NLA
The distributor is available new for 1400
The wiring harness is NLA
There are other sources besides BMW thank god.

12doplumbing

Reaction score
Is it not running correctly?

D-jet is a good system. My mechanic and I went through all the connections with a fine toothed comb, resoldering and cleaning all the connections. We found a few wires that were compromised.

The system has been working flawllessly for 4 years.
No, adawil2002, she's not running too well; dieseling, oil blow-by through exhaust, skipping/missing/coughing when accelerating - other than this, she's great! :)
Could use all the advice I can get.
Sfdon? What's a TCF? And what do you think of 123Ignitionusa's distributor? The one for the D-Jet is non-programmable (not clear on the mechanics of why not) and only $475. I'm not a purist - I'll save all the stock parts in case I die and my kids want to sell it.
I've ordered cap, rotor, plugs, wires, coil, radiator (from Ireland), hoses, and put in a request to help identify/provide correct injectors to a vendor listed in links. I want to replace as much of my crusty wiring as possible. All ears on what suggestions and route/process I should take.

12doplumbing

Reaction score
Per Request, added:

Hi Bill, thanks for your message. My 3.0si E3 came w L-Jet. My 3.0 CS is carburated.

These are good questions for the whole group. I encourage to post your questions on the forum so all can contribute and benefit. I'll participate and respond there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12doplumbing
Luis,
Did you decide to switch out your D-Jet system with an L-Jet? I checked out your blog on the 1800 and felt you'd be the one to ask for advice.
I just bought a '73 3.0csi and it's dieseling and idling a little rough. I started reading about all the issues this could relate to and came up with some modifications I'd like to consider; a 123Ignition programmable distributor being one of them. Well, D-Jet won't work - need L-Jet.
Have you gone to L-Jet in your 3.0? Is it a difficult swap?
Any advice would be appreciated.
Bill Ernst
Windsor, California

www.1966bmw1800.wordpress.com

12doplumbing

Reaction score
Bengal taiga

Bengal Taiga's suggestion in Luis A's thread from seven years ago:

To test the throttle switch, open the throttle with the key on but the engine not running. The injectors should open exactly twenty times, evidenced by twenty evenly spaced clicks.

Is the throttle switch this (see pic) - the linkage? I tried turning the key on and then pushing back the throttle linkage... Nothing but the sound of spring stretching... No twenty clicks....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 369

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
I know almost nothing about D-Jet but changing over to L-Jet would be extremely expensive and likely not needed.

12doplumbing

Reaction score
thanks luis -- one of our vendors in "links" says:( to my wanting a complete rebuild)
This is not the recommended approach to the D-Jet injection system. Should you (for some reason) wish to rebuild the system for the old coupe, it is extremely expensive. All parts are available new, except for the absolute manifold pressure sensor, auxiliary slide valve and injection wiring harness. Injectors are 232.00$ each
Front strut brace is 269.00$
No rear strut brace is required, there is a maximum amount of steel between the rea wheel houses, and there are no rear struts to deflect

Bwana

Reaction score
The ECU is NLA
The TPS is 125.
The MPS is NLA
The distributor is available new for 1400
The wiring harness is NLA
There are other sources besides BMW thank god.

Don, have you had any experience with these guys?

http://www.eps-elektronik.com/index_en.php

http://www.eps-elektronik.com/bmw-c...ne-control-units/0280001007_en.php?0280001007

Also, wiring harness seems to be available from these guys but the guy in OZ that bought one hasn't updated his thread about his experience

http://www.autosparks.co.uk/index.php

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I'm lucky to live 1/2 hour from fuel injection corp. I was there at lunchtime yesterday.
NorCal is a very good place to be!

12doplumbing

Reaction score
Half hour from an EPS-Elektronik facility? Or is "fuel injection corp" a business in the Bay Area? -- I'll google it once I get my Idiot cap off...
Here's a thought: pull the motor, drop in another with weber carburetors, and have fun rebuilding my original.
I think there's a good running one out of a 2800 for under 3000 -- with webers -- 30 minutes away
Thoughts?
I don't know where I found this photo, but it's pretty. Looks bigger than 2800 or 3.0...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 387

Bwana

Reaction score
I'm lucky to live 1/2 hour from fuel injection corp. I was there at lunchtime yesterday.
NorCal is a very good place to be!

DIfficult website and they make no mention of D-Jet. Have you had them rebuild a D-Jet controller for you?

12doplumbing

Reaction score
HB Chris and SF Don -- you crack me up; I'm talking about "that guy". Man, it's a small world in here; I better be careful. I'm pretty easy to outrun, though. He seems harmless, and he does have a lot of nice stuff hidden from his boneyard. He's got a '70 2800 that he's done quite a bit of strengthening modifications to. I was impressed, but maybe I'm easily impressed...
He's definitely an experienced builder of motors and restorations; a '40 Ford Coupe, '36 Ford pickup and some other pre-war hot rod that are done so well that I'm certain he's pretty well known in that Pleasanton/Hot August crowd. Anyway, I was considering something easy to drop in my '73 so I could keep it a daily (once weekly, really) driver. When I saw what the Kormann (probably broke a rule by mentioning their name) Corp charged for rebuilds, I about sh_t.
One of my many confused plans was to weekend swap Mr. Petaluma's 2800 motor into the '73 and then take my time rebuilding the stock original.
I'm open to thoughts, and flabbergasted insults too! I know I deserve it, for taking up so many of your time.
Btw: Yes that thread/primer on the D-Jet is helpful. Thank you
Also: I am buying Glenn I.'s seats -- member from SF Bay Area. When I said "I think I can fit them in my coupe" he insisted on driving them up to me. I'm an hour and a half away. Class act. I'm liking the E9 crowd.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 307

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
They are probably wonderful people.
Their descriptions are terrible as are their prices.
Here's an ad from the guy i'm talking about in Petaluma. Think you should buy it?

BMW 3.5 1987 535i E30 COMPLETE ENGINE CORE

Hint: it doesn't exist.No such thing.

would you prefer the coupe/bavaria driveshaft?
Hint- it doesn't exist. different lengths.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/pts/4888218131.html

Or? Maybe this fictional item...
1971 E9 2800CS COUPE.
31,000 MILES ON COMPLETE REBUILD WITH E30 CYLINDER HEAD.

I would pay big money to watch some one put an e30 head on a 2800 engine.

All their stuff has been for sale for ever.

You want a nice rebuilt 3.0 engine?
1000 bucks.
Let me know.