D-Jetronic Rebuild

12doplumbing

Reaction score
It means - I don't know what it meant!
I know: I was having an incredibly difficult time removing the old starter. I had read how others were able to squeeze blindly in there and unbolt their starters without needing to remove much, but I most certainly was not able to. I had to remove EVERYTHING it seems. And I was thinking a more experienced, actual mechanic, would be shaking his head if he were watching how I approached things here...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 271

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The original starter is fat and I could only get it off with a spanner. Probably took 50 repeats of turning the nut a couple mm, reversing the wrench, putting it back on the nut, then moving another 2mm.

The new ones go on with a socket thankfully.

12doplumbing

Reaction score

Tried to clean it as best I could

Grime grime everywhere - the head and valve cover mostly from what appears to be the power steering hoses and oil pressure sensor

I taped all the open orifices (orifi???) before spraying with brake cleaner, scrubbing, spraying, scrubbing

The yellow you ask? And black? I just grabbed what I had in Rustoleum. I wanted a lighter color and contrast to be able to discover leaks easier. Assembling was much easier due to the fact I had taken so many pictures.

Wish I could've made the metal shine like Chris's but I am expecting to get my injectors back from Fuel Injector Inc. Tuesday and I just want to drive.
I think I am going to do The Swap at some point, so this motor and the work I'm doing is really for me to just learn my way around this engine compartment and BMWs in general. Maybe I will keep it original - in which case I would be hunting for another stock motor and D-Jet complete system to rebuild and make as pretty as Chris'. Sfdon, you got one?

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The proper tool is a thin walled stubby universal 17mm socket.

Bwana

Reaction score
Have you taken out the FI wiring harness? I want to get a new one as the boots on mine are all shot and the connectors are old. But I can't tell what happens to it when it disappears down below the air filter. It appears to have a connector bolted onto the frame rail but both the RealOEM sketch and a photo of a new harness appear to have continuous wiring from the FI plugs back to the D-Jet ECU.

Here is a thread on the new harness. Photos 8-11 in his flicker link show a pretty good idea of what I'm talking about. Is this what yours looks like?

http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18202

12doplumbing

Reaction score
Sorry Bwana - took a while getting back. No plugs on mine; from under distributor it goes through frame rail without connectors.

Painted over... Grrr... Another reason this is going to be restored to Fjiord Blau some day
Here is an update: Fuel Injection Inc. rocks!, as my son would say. They sent back the injectors within three business days, completely stripped, cleaned and rebuilt -- so perfectly tended to I would challenge someone to tell me these aren't new. Packaged individually, new hoses, gaskets, clamps, and all bolts, washers and clamp-down holders degreased and stripped. And get this: they sent me the right male electrical connectors, boots and, unlike FCP and Autohausz (who both sent me the wrong male connector and boot for my '73), they gave me six inches of wire lead connected to the male ends - not just loose clips requiring a crimper tool I don't seem to know how to use or have. Fuel Injector Inc., or Fuel Injection Corporation (I don't know which is right, I just added "Tracy California" to search) is awesome -- all six within three days for @ $200 bucks? Jeez... And I found out they test and rebuild ECUs. This company I trust. They are local to SF; Tracy, California. Thank you Sfdon; that was a really good referral. Lady was nice and communicative, and the gentleman who listened to me describe my need of male leads was the same.
Now I get to put them in - put my coupe back together and drive

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
2 versions of the engine harness. One has a connector at the rail.

Bwana

Reaction score
2 versions of the engine harness. One has a connector at the rail.

Thanks, that's what I was wondering. The picture above doesn't look like mine. Mine looks like it has a big plug at the frame rail. If I order a replacement harness, I'm hoping I can just get the one inside the engine compartment and not have to thread the whole thing back to the ECU. I'm planning on using these guys

http://www.autosparks.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=2263

Unless somebody can suggest somewhere reliable in the U.S.

twistinglane

Site Donor
Reaction score
picture of two piece FI harness?

I'd be interested in a picture of the two piece harness if easy for someone. Either how it is connected at the frame rail or one that is already out from the car.

Bwana

Reaction score
OK, I got a couple of shots of my harness connection. I probably won't take it apart until it's hot here (June/August) and then send it in for duplication somewhere.

Overhead shot. Front is to the right. The ornge hose is for the A/C

P4240595_zpsm1doz7kf.jpg

A shot from frame rail level from back to front perspective. Looks like it's secured by a couple of small screws (probably strip out on removal :sad: )

P4240599_zpsvwyffgws.jpg

Sort of a sideways shot from the engine side towards the fender. Definitely looks different than twistinglane's harness

P4240598_zpsdkbicznh.jpg

I've never seen a connector like this. I'm wondering how common it is and is it available commercially or is it a BMW supplier item only? Don or anybody else have experience with this connector?

12doplumbing

Reaction score
Okay, got her back together aaaaalllmost: I don't know what which wire or side of injector is ground? Anyone know of a thread on this? I know I've seen/read one, but I've been looking for the past two hours and can't find it. Fuel Injection Inc sent me plugs which can go into the injector either way... BMW didn't color code....

twistinglane

Site Donor
Reaction score
Bmw has little printed numbers on the FI harness wires. At least ones I've seen. These correspond to positions in ECU connector.
If someone does not answer your question first, I'll look at info I have this eve.

12doplumbing

Reaction score
I can't find that thread where the poster shows his ohmmeter and goes through the steps of identifying positive and ground... I know it's out there, I just can't do the right search. I'm all done with this little tune-up finally and all I have are these wire leads to connect...
Hating my idiocy at this moment...
Before

After

After-after...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 227

twistinglane

Site Donor
Reaction score
Attached are wiring diagrams for the injectors as well as the full d-jet FI system. (From my German language Bosch manual for E9.)

Wires 26, 28, 27, 29, 4, and 6 go from the ECU to the injectors for cylinders 1-6 respectively. While wires 31-36 are connections to ground.

Hope this answerers question. I'm not familiar with post you mentioned. Paul

Attachments

• IMG_20150504_222751.jpg
    IMG_20150504_222751.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 272
  • IMG_20150504_222743.jpg
    IMG_20150504_222743.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 435

12doplumbing

Reaction score
Damn, that's good stuff -- thank you Paul. Appreciate it.
Turned my wife into a Giants fan, so I have to wait till the game is over before I try finishing up this chore.
Btw: this air intake offend you?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 293

Bwana

Reaction score
Attached are wiring diagrams for the injectors as well as the full d-jet FI system. (From my German language Bosch manual for E9.)

Wires 26, 28, 27, 29, 4, and 6 go from the ECU to the injectors for cylinders 1-6 respectively. While wires 31-36 are connections to ground.

Hope this answerers question. I'm not familiar with post you mentioned. Paul

Odd, are you sure this is for our CSi FI and not another car? The reason I ask is because I don't think the diagram I have is the same. I don't have it here at my fingertips so I could be completely wrong, I'll check tonight. I thought my car had a 1X1, 1X1, 2X1, 2X1 injector sequence, i.e., it is a modified 4 cylinder setup. Also, pins 21 and 22 are from the timing points in the FI timing distributer, I can't read your diagram well enough to see if this is the same.

The plugs on my injectors only fit in one way, there is a taper on one side.

Bwana

Reaction score
Damn, that's good stuff -- thank you Paul. Appreciate it.
Turned my wife into a Giants fan, so I have to wait till the game is over before I try finishing up this chore.
Btw: this air intake offend you?

A little loud but each to his own :)

You're also taking intake air from directly above the hot exhaust....