DIY - Aftermarket Evaporator Installed In A Coupe

Hi Team. I set out this year to find a replacement evaporator for the AC systems in our E9s and E3s (and E12s and E21s).

I found one (originally made for a 2007 Land Cruiser). It fits in the original box pretty well and it’s in my car working now. I’ll show you how I did it and then update you at some point in the near future as to whether there’s any advantage to it over the original parts. This is a work in progress and you are joining me in the experiment!

I want to emphasize that many members on this board have made their AC systems work pretty well using the original BMW parts and that if you are in need of better cooling in your car start with the basics by making sure your system is charged with the correct amount of oil and refrigerant; making sure that you’ve cleaned the bees out of your condenser; inspecting your switches and wires; checking if the seals are still there on the little flappy doors inside your heater box; and seeing to other correctable things.

On the outset, I wanted to find an evaporator upgrade method made from cheap, commercially available, and reliable parts that could be shared as a DIY guide that anyone could follow. How’d this turn out?

Is it an upgrade?: TBD
Is it cheap?: Pretty affordable I guess. See the spreadsheet below.
Is it reliable?: I already feel better knowing that the connections have o-rings, not copper washers.
Are the parts commercially available: Most yes, some no.
Can anyone do this?: Yes, except for a few parts which are hard to fabricate. Read on.

Here is the stock evaporator box with its big tube-and-fin evaporator.

1623266254758.png

Here’s the old evaporator and associated plumbing.

1623266289129.png

Here are the new evaporator, thermal expansion valve (“TXV”), and associated plumbing:

1623269663659.png

1623269686767.png

I modeled all of these parts to make selecting an evaporator from the Internet easier. You can see here that this new evaporator isn’t quite as tall as the old one but it fits in the box snugly against the blower cavity despite not being quite as tall as the old one.

1623269726336.png

Below are all the parts needed for this conversion as well as a source for them (in the spreadsheet). This assumes you have an original AC box with a working blower assembly and that you’re willing to modify the box.

1623269766245.png

1623269784931.png
1623269827894.png

1623269803454.png

Here is the kit assembled and in the box (top view):

1623269876911.png

Thoughts and reflections:

I’m pleased! It’s been cloudy but I got a sunny day today finally. I got a chance to run the system starting with an interior temperature of 107º. I was measuring temperature drops (measurement of air going in minus air coming back out) of as much as 35º as the cabin cooled down. I’m going to keep tweaking some things to see if I can get more cooling.

I didn’t make any modifications to the blower even though it is probably the biggest limitation in this system. I’ve determined that the blower (with whichever evaporator is in the box) makes about 190 cubic feet per minute of airflow. If I’d found a way to switch the blower and the evaporator at the same time in this experiment there’d be know way to know which made the bigger difference.

I wanted this to be made completely from parts anyone could source. The 3D printed stuff I’m kind of excusing here since there are probably dozens of ways to secure an evaporator in a plastic box and 3D printing was just the easy way for me. Also, I can share those files with anyone who wants them.

As far as the fit of the new system, it was kind of a bummer that the TXV interfered with the back of the box since it was almost a perfect match. Have a look at this cross section:

1623269948725.png

View from the bottom of the valve and the box cutout:

1623269969581.png

A window shaped like this needs to be cut out from the box. Aside from that, the only other modifications to the box is a few screw holes.

1623270050393.png

The blue plate (part D4 on the illustration) is a shell that makes a little more clearance around the TXV (particularly at the bottom) and also collects dripping condensate and returns it to the bottom of the box using gravity. I have it installed pressed against a foam seal and I’ll be checking it periodically this summer to make sure it doesn’t leak. It could also be glued in with silicone.

The real missing link I couldn’t find on any website was an adaptor from that particular TXV to an O-ring-stye connector and a clamp to squeeze them on. I’m referring to parts C3, C4, and F on the diagram. I made the adaptors on my little lathe and brazed them to tubing.

1623270077890.png

This was my first time brazing. It seems to have worked well but I know this option isn’t easily available to everyone at home.

Presumably I or someone more experienced than me could make this assembly into a kit if the DIY route is too confusing. Also, I took all the pictures needed for a full "how-to" guide. But I think anyone with enough ability to take their box out of their car and / or charge up an A/C system should be able to assemble this.

I have enough parts for another prototype if someone with time on their hands wants to reimburse me for just the parts and postage. All I’d ask is that you’d be able to compare this system with the previous one in your car and report back for everyone’s benefit.

Anyway, it can now be said that someone has used a non-original evaporator in an E9. I’ll post a critique of the function soon. So far so good. Thanks for following along!

Last edited by a moderator:

Blinkling

Site Donor
Reaction score
I can confirm the success of the can side-tap way! And I managed to get an open box of six unused cans of R-152 from eBay for around that price. I was going to say that the things are probably $9 apiece from Home Depot now (inflation for sure). But that's still cheaper than R-134a by a little bit.

The can should say "difluoroethane" on it.

^^ I also have a relay that controls my fan via temperature probe. I LIKE it. I have the sensor strapped to my receiver/dryer and I have it set to come on at around 110ºF (30ºC). It's a cheap eBay import module. We'll see if it lasts. I made a little plastic case for it. In case it dies I still have my trinary switch which will engage the fan based on pressure -- they're wired in parallel so they're redundant.

ATL_Alan

Reaction score
Prior to installing the Ireland engineering AL radiator, I did install a manual override switch that would turn on the AC condenser fan whether the AC was on or not. Was just a simple relay added and a switch under the dash. Used it occasionally when temps creeped up, but don't remember using it after the AL radiator.

Thanks
jjs2800cs
Hi, can you describe the relay you used for this? And does it connect to the same line that powers the compressor and condenser fan?

Thanks, Alan

jjs2800cs

Reaction score
Hi, can you describe the relay you used for this? And does it connect to the same line that powers the compressor and condenser fan?

Thanks, Alan
Sorry for the late reply

I used something like this, typical relays found all over ebay and amazon

Basically spliced in the relay to the fan. When relay is off, fan will operate normally being turned on/off by the system. When relay is switched on via a switch under the dash, 12 volt is applied to the fan whether AC system is sending 12V or not.

Hope this helps

jjs2800cs

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Alan,

Just to expand a little on jjs2800cs's description...

There are two basic ways to wire your AC system. Using essentially all stock wire routing and electrical devices, or adding a trinary switch and related wiring and electrical devices like a more modern system. Both are pictured in post #44 of this thread and described.

With the stock system, you will need to add a relay in the heavy wire between 7 and 9 to connect it with the heavy wire between 9 and 13. The relay would close and send power to the condenser fan when activated. It would be activated with the switch under the dash that would send 12v through a light wire to the relay. The 12v to and from the under dash switch could be either switched (only works when the ignition is on) or not switched (direct from an always hot 12v source)

If you are running a trinary switch, you only need the under dash switch to provide an additional ground on the blue wire running between the trinary switch and the relay controlling the condenser fan.

Blinkling adds an optional circuit in post #46.

jjs2800cs

Reaction score
AC update, Finally we are getting to the finish line in our restoration including the AC upgrade with Blinkling's replacement evaporator.

Yesterday we evacuated and charged the system now using R134a. So new Sanden (real one), new parallel flow condenser,, all new hoses made in house, and of course the replacement evaporator.

We do have a small leak which we will address at the connection between the larger copper line going through the firewall and coming from the compressor.

This is a flare fitting and hope a slight loosen and retighten will fix.

Got the system blowing cold with 2 -12 oz cans of 134a, was a struggle to get the system to empty the cans but we got there. Not sure why.

Since we still do not have front or back windshields in, cant really make a determination as to vent temperatures as of yet. Hope in the new few months we can give a definitive assessment of the new evaporator performance as it heats up here in Florida.

Cudos to Blinkling for taking the time to develop and offering the parts. Here are a few pics of my fitting the unit.

Thanks
jjs2800cs

100_7164.JPG

100_7166.JPG

100_7151.JPG

100_7159.JPG

Blinkling

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm so happy to see another one making cold air! More cold air than mine, in fact, on account of me using the fake Sanden 508.