E9 registry site now live!!!

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Wow looks really nice. Was wondering, can we or will you register cars that are listed on E bay or elsewhere etc ? There are two I think that are listed on ebay right now.
One that looks like its going to the scrapper,maybe the last chance to get the vin number !

G, using eBay you can contact the seller. Inquire to see if the car is going to the scrapper and grab the number

Stan

chicane

Reaction score
Fine with me Dan too, would that drop down menu include e24's?

Ran

I believe this is an E9 registry not a and E24 registry. I believe there was a guy on here working on an E24 registry though....

Ives

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Simple Registration

Dan,

I just finished registering and it was simple, straight forward and forced me to pull out my records and get a better idea of my Coupe's history. I think the "General History" category is an excellent idea. I'm lucky because the previous owners kept records and I have them back to 1986 with mileage and part #s.

Thank you for ram rodding this and it will be interesting to see how it evolves. When we want to see the register info will we access it from here through a link once we log in or on a separate site URL?

Regards Jon

FlyWulf

Reaction score
Nice!

Very well done.

Kudos!

Very pleasing to the eye, dripping with class, just like a well restored E9.

perfection!

Bravo!

Ed

jhjacobs

Reaction score
Will we be able to search or sort/group by VIN, e.g. all US automatic 225xxxx? Or color? Just a thought.

Chris, searching is something we definitely plan to enhance. We also plan to add summary information (with canned searches built in) on the home page. We are also testing a direct image upload capability; hopefully it will work well.

JhwShark

Reaction score
Are there plans to add a link to the Registry on the main page and the top nav bar?

Tod,
Good suggestion...to confirm you think a link on the e9coupe.com home page. Or add it into the LINKS page list??

I know that this site is a fairly fixed bulletin board structure that the fine folks at e9coupe.com administer. I am not sure if they would do some php modifications to allow a main link on either of the tab bars...It can definetly be added to the LINKS page.

DAN, what are your thoughts?

Jon

shanon

Reaction score
Nice works gents, well done!

Just added my rig to the Reg. but wasn't clear on how to post image.
Can update image later once instructed.

Thanks all!

-shanon

jhjacobs

Reaction score
Wow looks really nice. Was wondering, can we or will you register cars that are listed on E bay or elsewhere etc ? There are two I think that are listed on ebay right now.
One that looks like its going to the scrapper,maybe the last chance to get the vin number !

This is an interesting idea. It would be a bit of work to make this automatic and we don't have the resources to chase all of these cars. Perhaps we can set up a special category for "Seen for sale..." It would certainly require some volunteers to keep it up to date.

jhjacobs

Reaction score
Nice works gents, well done!

Just added my rig to the Reg. but wasn't clear on how to post image.
Can update image later once instructed.

Thanks all!

-shanon

Posting an image is currently very much like you do it here on the board; however, we are using direct URL rather than a code. Basically you need to have an image on a site like photobucket and then cut/paste the direct link in the URL field. Here is an example of what you would provide:

[url]http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa208/jhjacobs/Amelie/EarthRiseAmelie-1024.jpg[/url]

You can update your record anytime (through the Update Registry page) if you remember your password, VIN, and email. We plan to add an automatic "lost password" function which will email your password to the email address you provided. If this doesn't work just send an email to "[email protected]" and we can reset/retrieve it for you.

This site was built by a friend of the community, Tom Chao, who happens to be my neighbor and BMW enthusiast. He did this work gratis and he is continuing to fine tune it with us. He is working on a direct image upload function right now -- no promises on if it will work or when.

DanG has been a real gem in guiding us along but I suspect he felt like he was herding cats.

David

Site Donor
Reaction score
Great job guys!

Do you think we can/should use the registry to track e9's on the market that aren't quite what they appear to be ? (several "alpinas" and "bats" come to mind).

Also, perhaps we can track sales prices and end the recurring arguments on coupe values.

Again, great job.

jhjacobs

Reaction score
Great job guys!

Do you think we can/should use the registry to track e9's on the market that aren't quite what they appear to be ? (several "alpinas" and "bats" come to mind).

Also, perhaps we can track sales prices and end the recurring arguments on coupe values.

Again, great job.

Our objective was really only to capture information about known coupes with willing owners but it would certainly be interesting to build such a data collection system. It would also require a different, simpler structure and the information collected would be only what people submit; garbage in, garbage out. We are already getting SPAM BOT hits on the registry that need to be dealt with. I am afraid we will need to spend some more time making the registry more BOT proof and easier to administer before taking on another function like this. None the less, we'll kick it around. Personally I think it would be very interesting to see the statistical variation in sale prices. However, I suspect it would be hard to draw any conclusions but it might be possible to identify the leading edge of the coupe's inevitable climb into the price stratosphere ... OK, smack me, I must be dreaming.

acat2002

Reaction score
Okay, so I tried to do my part to populate the registry with another coupe for which I have full documentation (but don't own). I didn't want to fill out the email address and user name as "the owner" because I am not in fact the owner.

Spent about 20 minutes sifting through records, populating fields, posting images (including VIN plate), only to have the entire record erased when I finished (b/c I did not fill in the three required fields).

I'm definately NOT complaining, I just want to do my part to help populate the registry and I hit a brick wall. It may be a good idea to seal the registry off to only those who own these cars (for privacy) or spam-bots. However, there will always be coupe-owners who don't particpate in this registry for whatever reason. If we (members) have reasonable knowlege, there should be a way we can enter information as non-owners, right? maybe the record has an asterick indicating that only some information is known, or the record is published without owner's consent.

After the initial surge of new records that populate the registry over the next few weeks/months, maybe a senior membership committee can be in charge of reviewing submissions by non-owners, or second parties? THat way, no bogus or erroneous entries make it in and pollute the records. Four or five semi-knowlegable members could be involved via email and publish the data, or archive it if it is insufficient or sketchy.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I have three or four solid records sets to coupes I have either inspected, driven or inquired about.

Bottom line is that we'd be better off with less records if opening the floodgates would compromise the integrity, but if we can trust the sources and put some things through committee, maybe we'd really expand the coverage.

BlauMitWeiss

Reaction score
Pest and Motion Provider PMP..

...or Professional Project Manager.

I love the way you presented the comment " Cheerleader and Pest "

Dang, you are a pro.

k

BlauMitWeiss

Reaction score
DanG. said:
"I'd like to personally thank John (JJ) Jacobs (board name "jhjacobs") and Tom Chao for creating this fantastic registry site and program. Please direct all of your praise in their direction since they did all the work. Tom is the very talented programmer, John is the project lead and I'm the cheerleader and pest! Check it out and start submitting your coupes..."

Wow you guys, nice piece of work! I have already congratulated DANG for his involvement, but you guys pulled the cart.

Good Stuff

k

jhjacobs

Reaction score
Is paging implemented or is it going to be one long list?

Good question. I know at one point in the development we had paging. I suspect it is still there but I don't know the default page count. I'll cover this with Tom the next time we sit down.

I think that once we get some of the summary tables / links built it will help streamline the site. The good news is that this stuff is pretty simple to drop in without impacting the data structures.