E9 registry site now live!!!

m_thompson

Reaction score
I have lots of coupe pictures and the matching VINs that were taken at BMWCCA Oktoberfests. Can I upload those to the unofficial section?

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
E9-Driven merchandise

Can we populate this section with any unsold gril badges and Dan Cs stickers and discs?
Stan

jhjacobs

Reaction score
I have lots of coupe pictures and the matching VINs that were taken at BMWCCA Oktoberfests. Can I upload those to the unofficial section?

Hmmm. We do have the ability to associate a Gallery with a VIN. We had not planned on making a general photo gallery (but we have plenty of resource). I suppose you could create and "unofficial" VIN record (any VIN) and upload images. We still do not have the unofficial area completed. We are planning to make a clone of the standard registry list as an unofficial list. I think that if you create such a record you will be able to upload photos once we "clear/approve" it. The photos will be stored on the server and then become visible once we create the new listing page(s).

jhjacobs

Reaction score
Can we populate this section with any unsold gril badges and Dan Cs stickers and discs?
Stan

That's the idea. This is one of our lower priority tasks but we we do have the page ready to populate with information. As a point of reference, I do have about 40 badges (some of all colors) available. I may may raise the price just a bit since they will be one-off sales.

If you like the E9-Driven logo I can heartily endorse the stickers Dan is producing. They are very nice and top quality. I have small one on the cover of my laptop and it makes me grin every time I use it. I've got a 12" sticker on a plastic plate which will take a place on honor in my garage above my coupe (if I ever get off the road).

m_thompson

Reaction score
Hmmm. We do have the ability to associate a Gallery with a VIN. We had not planned on making a general photo gallery (but we have plenty of resource). I suppose you could create and "unofficial" VIN record (any VIN) and upload images. We still do not have the unofficial area completed. We are planning to make a clone of the standard registry list as an unofficial list. I think that if you create such a record you will be able to upload photos once we "clear/approve" it. The photos will be stored on the server and then become visible once we create the new listing page(s).

I have coupe pictures from 25 years ago, possibly for some coupes that may end up being registered. The current owner should have the option of merging the unofficial pictures into the official gallery.

If unofficial pictures are uploaded maybe the file name should include the VIN and the date?

jhjacobs

Reaction score
I have coupe pictures from 25 years ago, possibly for some coupes that may end up being registered. The current owner should have the option of merging the unofficial pictures into the official gallery.

If unofficial pictures are uploaded maybe the file name should include the VIN and the date?

Right now an unofficial entry can be created and images can be uploaded after the record is released/approved. Unfortunately, we are still working on page to display the unofficial list - perhaps this weekend.

As for merging them into the official gallery, this would require development of some moderately complex code. However, this is actually something that an admin can do fairly easily. Basically we store the images in a folder on an FTP accessible server and all we need to do is copy/move them from one folder to another. For the time being we will handle this through an "info" request email - as long as we have the from / to VIN numbers it only takes a few minutes to relocate the files, everything is automatic after this.

This unofficial registry stuff is a bit of a challenge but we think we have the details figured out -it involves sorting, searching, separate summaries, etc. Also, change the status from unofficial to official is also a very easy manual process - it only requires setting a single flag in the database. It may also already be possible to update the status field by simply editing the record - need to check this; it may head fake our approval processing logic.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Updating registry

Every time I try to link a photo or add comments to my profile I get this message:

This error (HTTP 500 Internal Server Error) means that the website you are visiting had a server problem which prevented the webpage from displaying.

Am I doing something wrong? I would like to add a photo from my web album. Thanks.

jmackro

Reaction score
Chris:

It just worked for me (Sunday 6:45 pm). But a few days ago I also got that error message - my sense is that the site is down for maintenance, or crashed, or ... more often than, say Google's site.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Jay,

Sunday at 7:40, same error message for me although I was able to upload one photo, just not update my listing.

jhjacobs

Reaction score
Sorry for any trouble... not sure what is/was happening. Hopefully everything is running now. I have been able to get into my personal account for both image and regular updates. We did find a login bug in update images which was fixed last week. We really don't expect to need to take the site down for maintenance very often, most updates can be made while the site is live. We have updated the datebase a few times but this is done off-line and there is only a small window (<30 seconds) when the site is not available as we push the update.

If you have trouble like this please drop a note to [email protected] and include you VIN so we can take a close look.

We have just added a direct field sorting feature in the registry list view -- this has been a much requested feature. We may also add State and post date into the list view but this is a low priority feature right now.

We are currently looking at adding a page with general information about coupes. Right now the plan is to include:

1. VIN/Year tables We'll pull from the old registry and other sources.
2. BMW color charts (PDF download)
3. The owners manual (PDF download)

If anyone has more ideas along this line and more importantly, real data, we are all ears.

jhjacobs

Reaction score
Registry hit 100 Cars today

We officially hit 100 cars in the registry today. Keep 'em coming, tell your friends! :mrgreen:

Bill Riblett

(deceased)
Reaction score
Thanks John, I did see that. I am gathering info to post for the 3 cars I still have as well as the 5 I have parted out in years past:
70 2800CSA
67 2000CS
73 3.0CSA
67 2000CS
66 2000C
I'm still looking for VINs for some of these.
We need a change in model years data. When I started entering data for the 2000 coupes, the drop down menus for dates only go back to 1968, even though the summary tables include 65-67 years

jhjacobs

Reaction score
We need a change in model years data. When I started entering data for the 2000 coupes, the drop down menus for dates only go back to 1968, even though the summary tables include 65-67 years

That one slipped through the cracks! I'll get is straightened out ASAP.

jhjacobs

Reaction score
That one slipped through the cracks! I'll get is straightened out ASAP.

Year List Fixed.

The registry got some major additions today. We now have the unofficial "Seen in Ad / Other" category working. It comes up on a separate list which you enter through the "total" hyperkink on the home page. Everyone should feel free to enter information on spotted / seen coupes (if a VIN is known) and set the status to "Seen in ad / Other" and it will go into this mini registry.

We also added a a pretty decent "General E9 Information" page with nice downloads and interactive stuff. We even have an on-line repair manual included. Definitely worth a quick browse.

JhwShark

Reaction score
I sent an email to info@e9...
The VIN tabels are great!!
Is a seperate date field in the Registry for Build Date good for indexing and research? It may be useful...

Jon

jhjacobs

Reaction score
I sent an email to info@e9...
The VIN tabels are great!!
Is a seperate date field in the Registry for Build Date good for indexing and research? It may be useful...

Jon

We are compiling a number new data elements items like this for another face lift. So far the items in the list are:

1. Build Date
2. KM vs. Miles (radio select button)
3. Alpina (radio select button)

Since we have a live database with real records there is a problem in dealing with old records. I will have to ask for understanding on this - it is almost impossible for us to go back in and add this data ourselves. Also, in many cases, something like the build data will not be generally available to most coupe owners.

I would like to again thank thank everyone for participating and provide very useful comments and input. The level of interest is almost staggering. We've also received enough generous donations to completely cover the site operational costs and even to purchase coffee for our benevolent web guru, Tom Chao.

Currently the topic of interest seems to be related to build date information. If anyone has any good information about production dates of specific VINs it would be appreciated. Alternately, if anyone know someone at BMW that might be able and willing to help do this research I would be delighted to chase them down and pester them for information.

We are also getting over 5,000 hits per day now. Keep the registrations coming, we are now over 150 cars.

jhjacobs

Reaction score
Another update

We just made some more additions to the registry:

1. You can enter build date when registering and you can go back and update your record(s) with build if desired. This date is shown on the detailed record view for each car. We made this a simple text field so it is not really searchable
2. You can enter Km or Miles for the odometer. If filled in, this will show up next to the odometer statement (if shared)
3. You can specify "Alpina" option. This shows up next to the model name in the detail view

All of these are editable fields so if you feel compelled you can go back in and make updates.

We also added an FAQ to try and explain a bit about how the site operates. I am sure we will go back and improve the FAQ with time.