Engine rebuild and engine bay resto thread - 2240284 '72 CS

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Just read through all 7 pages and watched the video. Looking forward to another video (Get good sound) of that new engine at full chat once broken in. Well done!

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Headers are back from the ceramic coater and they look great. 2 hours later they’re in. The bottom six nuts are tightened 1/4 turn at a time with a wrench from underneath. Great care was taken to install without banging them up. The coater suggested to wipe them down with iso alcohol or similar to get any oil off them so they don’t get hotspots when firing them up. So I also used nitrile gloves to put those snakes in:

IMG_4885.jpeg

IMG_4890.jpeg

I went with regular exhaust gaskets vs the pair of heat shield ones (I have those too) because I don’t want to hide those pipes! I can always swap in the others if things get too hot but it seems like there is a lot of room around them for air circulation.

After 5 trips to O’Reilly auto and some trial and error, I finally determined the proper size for my a/c, alternator, and power steering belts since I am no longer using a factory setup. So they are now on.

Interior is completely back together, I rerouted my AFR oxygen sensor wire through the cabin floor instead of up through the engine compartment into the glove box so I had to resolder that birds nest back together.

Next the rest of the exhaust goes back on then it will finally be time to start the engine.

ScottAndrews

Reaction score
Looks really good!!

Is that a new brake booster, or just refinished with a new sticker?
Also how did you do the zinc chromate on those various parts?

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Looks really good!!

Is that a new brake booster, or just refinished with a new sticker?
Also how did you do the zinc chromate on those various parts?
Thanks, I had the booster rebuilt, then I painted it and added the decal. I also had the steering box rebuilt. My carb fittings are mostly brass including the top screws, the other yellow zinc clamps and hardware came from Belmetric, and I reused what original stuff I could.

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
Headers are back from the ceramic coater and they look great. 2 hours later they’re in. The bottom six nuts are tightened 1/4 turn at a time with a wrench from underneath. Great care was taken to install without banging them up. The coater suggested to wipe them down with iso alcohol or similar to get any oil off them so they don’t get hotspots when firing them up. So I also used nitrile gloves to put those snakes in:

View attachment 174989

View attachment 174990

I went with regular exhaust gaskets vs the pair of heat shield ones (I have those too) because I don’t want to hide those pipes! I can always swap in the others if things get too hot but it seems like there is a lot of room around them for air circulation.

After 5 trips to O’Reilly auto and some trial and error, I finally determined the proper size for my a/c, alternator, and power steering belts since I am no longer using a factory setup. So they are now on.

Interior is completely back together, I rerouted my AFR oxygen sensor wire through the cabin floor instead of up through the engine compartment into the glove box so I had to resolder that birds nest back together.

Next the rest of the exhaust goes back on then it will finally be time to start the engine.
Steve--I wouldn't worry about the heat coming off the headers. I have the same ceramic coated Stahl headers with the OEM heat shields mounted upside down by the award winning restoration shop that must believe heat sinks. Four years and 15K miles later, no apparent problems. BTW, the shields were in the correct position when they removed the engine,but now we can see those headers. @sfdon suggested wrapping the A/C lines with heat shield tape since they are so close to the header. @Dohn would say we did that asbestos we could....

Attachments

• IMG_5955.jpg
    IMG_5955.jpg
    319.4 KB · Views: 70

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
looking most excellent Steve !!! but then again that factoring in the expectation that it would be ... so its really good.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Steve--I wouldn't worry about the heat coming off the headers. I have the same ceramic coated Stahl headers with the OEM heat shields mounted upside down by the award winning restoration shop that must believe heat sinks. Four years and 15K miles later, no apparent problems. BTW, the shields were in the correct position when they removed the engine,but now we can see those headers. @sfdon suggested wrapping the A/C lines with heat shield tape since they are so close to the header. @Dohn would say we did that asbestos we could....
Thanks for that confirmation about the gaskets. I routed my a/c lines to the compressor through the front clip, as far away from the headers as possible.

IMG_4851.jpeg

IMG_4852.jpeg

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
What Diameter Stahl headers are those? Nice on all the details. May I ask who rebuilt your booster and steering box? Looks pleasant outdoors there.

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
That is a good question. I was not present when the engine was removed and was told by David Masi that the heat shield gaskets were mounted below the header. Perhaps someone reading this can place the shields below an exhaust manifold or a Stahl header and post a pic of the result. With big car shows and the 4 days of driving in the Gator Crawl, I'll not be taking the exhaust apart in the next 2 months.
The Stahl header on my car is 1 3/8" diameter.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Ok folks, here are some videos :cool: The carbs have not been synchronized or mixture screws set yet. I did set the 123 timing curve with actual timing with a light.

The startup:

Some revs:

The engine sounds amazing! Like a pissed off bunch of hornets ready to get out of the nest!

I could NOT have done this without the support of our forum maestro @sfdon who has tirelessly helped me along the way. Thank you Don you rock big time!!!

I let the engine warm up then changed the O'Reilly Auto 30w oil for some Kendall GT-1 20w50.

After re-checking vitals I put it on the ground and it drove under it's own power for the first time in 8 months (1st gear through the neighborhood sans hood) and I am blown away. Thank you @Bert Poliakoff for the 3:45 diff that replaced my 3:64, now I don't have to shift out of first gear so soon and I love it.

In the coming days I will check for leaks etc. then on goes the intake filter and it will go out on the real road to set the rings.

Thanks to all who cheered me on - it has been a fun but exhausting road back. More to follow.

Last edited:

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Steve, who makes that starter switch? I like that it has a safety toggle.

Last edited:

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Steve, who makes that stater switch? I like that it has a safety toggle.
I made it as an emergency ignition switch bypass/engine compartment switch for tuning right before I blew up my engine.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I made it as an emergency ignition switch bypass/engine compartment switch for tuning right before I blew up my engine.

Looks well thought out.Like something you would use to launch Rockets!