Finishing School for a Fjord 3.0 CS / 100 projects to improve a Coupe / Countdown

paul cain

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Project 51: Replace entire windscreen washer assembly. The only item missing in image 9575 is the mounting bracket. Epoxy was used instead. Verrrrry carefully, I separated the pump assembly and saved the bottle. There is not much to work with here. Currently looking to replace the pump assembly, all hose and the one way valve that is missing at the top of the inner hood. I am happy to report the switch mechanism is working just fine. See youtube clip.

Attachments

• IMG_9575.jpg
    IMG_9575.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_9576.jpg
    IMG_9576.jpg
    226.2 KB · Views: 92

paul cain

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Back to Project 46: Fix the windshield wiper motor assembly. If you purchase new washers for your wiper arm mounts, what BMW will send you is black as chrome is no longer. Pulled these from the private reserve. Then carefully phased the wiper arm on the motor to park in the 'end of stroke' position so that the next time you actuate the wipers, it cycles from the correct starting position. It's important confirm this before fitting the wipers. Otherwise it can be a disaster. Blue tape is how I confirm.

Attachments

• IMG_9564.jpg
    IMG_9564.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 86

paul cain

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Project 52: Clean, degrease and lube the heater fan motor.

Attachments

• IMG_9588.jpg
    IMG_9588.jpg
    326.8 KB · Views: 76

paul cain

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Project 53: Fabricate custom European Lic. Plate Frame holder for E9 Taillamp trim panel. Wire up Euro bumper lic. plate lamps. Fit Euro Plate

Attachments

• IMG_9582.jpg
    IMG_9582.jpg
    362.2 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_9587.jpg
    IMG_9587.jpg
    375.6 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_9592.jpg
    IMG_9592.jpg
    327.6 KB · Views: 64

paul cain

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Project 54: Paint windscreen washer nozzles body color. I know, I know, it is not original. But the black nozzles look like they are off strippo Ford Fiesta. The PO's body shop forgot to paint the inner panels on the hood. Easy fix before reinstalling the nozzles.

Attachments

• IMG_9600.jpg
    IMG_9600.jpg
    247.7 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_9581.jpg
    IMG_9581.jpg
    456.2 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_9612.jpg
    IMG_9612.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 69

paul cain

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Project 55: Safety wire the lower front strut bolts. Replace the PO's Grade 2 butter bolts with factory bolts.

Attachments

• IMG_9597.jpg
    IMG_9597.jpg
    309 KB · Views: 82

paul cain

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Project 56: Replace the Late style spark plug loom with the original style.

Attachments

• IMG_9601.jpg
    IMG_9601.jpg
    361.1 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_9602.jpg
    IMG_9602.jpg
    497 KB · Views: 90

paul cain

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Today was a milestone. Took it for a 3 mile test drive to function test every electrical function while the interior is still out. Major success as all of the instrument cluster functions are working as designed: all warning lamps, tach, speedo, odo, emergency flashers, dimmer lamps, etc. To acknowledge the event I reattached some jewelry to the car - the VIN plate and, in case you were not paying attention to the color, the Fjord paint sticker. ;)

Attachments

• IMG_9609.jpg
    IMG_9609.jpg
    375.9 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:

paul cain

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Project 57: Restore the original seat track mechanisms. The PO had someone paint the seat tracks with grey paint. (not a great idea as this gets gummed up in the drum wheel on the inside track). This started a long journey of cleaning the tracks prior to sending them out for plating. It is a lot of hours to get these prepped for plating. The reward is ultra smooth seat sliding action once replated and re-lubed.

CW// Smooth seat track sliding action. The follow short video might not be suitable for all audiences. This video production contains material of a highly sensitive nature including lubricated steel slider mechanisms, smoothly rolling drum wheels and an accompanying live audio track. If your seat tracks are gummed up (or painted), or exhibit a crunchy sound it might be best to not view the following content.

Attachments

• IMG_9540 (1).jpg
    IMG_9540 (1).jpg
    357.4 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_9572.jpg
    IMG_9572.jpg
    307.3 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_9603.jpg
    IMG_9603.jpg
    394.9 KB · Views: 82

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Today was a milestone. Took it for a 3 mile test drive to function test every electrical function while the interior is still out. Major success as all of the instrument cluster functions are working as designed: all warning lamps, tach, speedo, odo, emergency flashers, dimmer lamps, etc. To acknowledge the event I reattached some jewelry to the car - the VIN plate and, in case you were not paying attention to the color, the Fjord paint sticker. ;)
Good stuff. I doubt you tested the low fuel lamp indicator function :).

paul cain

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Good stuff. I doubt you tested the low fuel lamp indicator function :).
I had tested that white indicator three weeks ago as the combo gauge was wired back in the car. I have a severe case of F.O.G.B.I. (Fear of Going Back In)

paul cain

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Did you zinc them in their assembled state? I always worry that the inside may not be well covered.
The sliders above went to plater fully assembled. Years ago I disassembled one before plating. Plating was beautiful, but it never worked the same again. Getting the drum wheels in the proper place is the issue.

paul cain

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Project 58: Reinstall windscreen and rear glass
After the large struggle with Patricia Mayer's windscreen See: https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/p...est-drive-viii-final-punch-list.39039/page-18 I was very worried about this project, specifically because this is a 'Just Dashes' refinishing work is always larger than the original dash. This means not enough air gap at the lower edge of the glass.

So yesterday was the Big Day. My friend Henry of Henry Auto Glass installed the front and rear glass. This guy is a pro. He's been doing this for 20 years.

https://youtube.com/shorts/Ai3Fg8eOv-I

I took three countermeasures this time: 1) used the lag bolts to pull the dash down as far a possible (see earlier post in this thread) 2) kept the wood stir sticks in place to force the gap over the past two months and 3) Kept the same stir sticks in place to pry the dash edge down even further during the critical rope pulling at installation. See video.

It is great when a plan comes together. This one was very gratifying. 45 minutes to do both installations.

BTW this is BMW OEM glass with BMW OEM weatherstripping. The rear glass had to come out as the PO simply polished the aluminum trim and it was dull. I had it professionally repolished and then I Cerikoted it.

Attachments

• IMG_9614.jpg
    IMG_9614.jpg
    347.4 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_9617.jpg
    IMG_9617.jpg
    369.4 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_9618.jpg
    IMG_9618.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 63

paul cain

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Project 51 update: Replace entire windscreen washer assembly. New hoses with new clips and the one way check valve installed. Waiting in delivery of the new VDO pump.

Attachments

• IMG_9622.jpg
    IMG_9622.jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 70

paul cain

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Project 59: replate, lube and adjust the hood latch assembly. It took about three adjustment to get the latch draw down to park correctly.

Attachments

• IMG_9621.jpg
    IMG_9621.jpg
    312.9 KB · Views: 69