FS: 1973 3.0cs/Alpina Tribute

Status
Not open for further replies.

CSfan

Reaction score
Offer

If this car sales for 100K I will take everyone out on this board to Ruth Chris. If your in the Los Angelos,CA area. My treat!

chicane

Reaction score
Re: Offer

CSfan said:
If this car sales for 100K I will take everyone out on this board to Ruth Chris. If your in the Los Angelos,CA area. My treat!

LOL.

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
100 of us chip in $1k and we can have the car for 3.5 days a year just to wind up CSfan!

CSfan

Reaction score
what?!?

I think this car can fly. Just a couple of weeks ago it was in a group meet in New York! Now it's on the west coast. maybe it is worth 100K , if it can fly

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-Trucks___1973-BMW-3-0cs-Coupe-Full-Restoration-Alpina-Mods_W0QQitemZ220344276506QQddnZCarsQ20Q26Q20TrucksQQddiZ2282QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Cars_Trucks?hash=item220344276506&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=72%3A64|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

RonP

Reaction score
I think this car can fly. Just a couple of weeks ago it was in a group meet in New York! Now it's on the west coast. maybe it is worth 100K , if it can fly

HMMMM, must have been another car as this car has been sitting in my garage for a couple of months now.

acat2002

Reaction score
RonP - Nice job with the pictures on Fleabay! Much better presentation.

Slick set up! Hope you get good money!

chicane

Reaction score
Even I have to admit that these pictures make the car look great. Ebay is the ultimate free market indicator on what someone will pay for a unique item such as this. It will be interesting to watch.

RonP

Reaction score
Just an interesting observation, but my old e12 that I sold to a collector last July just sold at Barrett Jackson for $29,000 and with buyer fees it is $31,900. I thought I had hit a high water mark at $23,000. There is still money out there for nice older BMWs. There are a ton of people watching the auction on the Alpina tribute and over 1000 hits on it. I am pleasantly suprised at where the auction numbers are for the second day as well.

Do I have high hopes? Not really, but since it is an International auction, there may be some folks in Europe that may show some interest. I ended the auction on the e12 on the last day and sold it to the guy that just ran it through BJ and had HUGE interest in the car and some European buyers as well.

Here is the link:

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/application/onlinesubmission/search.aspx?st=1&aid=283&d=01/14/2009

coupe74

Reaction score
coupe values

I read an interesting article that stated that most car values peak when buyers are in their 40s and 50s and the cars were built during their late high school years through early 20s. In other words, the the cars we lusted for then, that we can afford now, are at their peak values (with exceptions of course).

So the peak values for our cars may yet to be reached. And historically most stock market drops recover within 2-3 years. So buy now, sell then!

Here in the Sonoma Wine Country, my next door neighbor -who runs Medicaid (medical welfare) in a few midwestern states- spent millions on a winery just to have his own name on a wine bottle. I look carefully before spending more than $10 on a bottle. If he liked Ron's car, I don't think the price would matter. It would mean less to him than the price of a sandwich means to me.

I think the recent proliferation and success of BMW in the US will foster a greater appreciation in the future for this marque, especially classics.

I wish Ron the best in getting full price. If he gets six figures for that car, maybe I'll get higher five figures for mine (though when buying and spending money on it, I never expected to make a profit, just control my losses). Like I told the wife; I can spend money on cars or other women, and she gets to choose!

PS: I disagree with eliminating discussion posts in the Classifieds section. I think it adds interest over Hemmings, Autotrader, etc., I believe the studious reader can pick out the naysayers and put their comments into perspective.

acat2002

Reaction score
chicane said:
Even I have to admit that these pictures make the car look great. Ebay is the ultimate free market indicator on what someone will pay for a unique item such as this. It will be interesting to watch.

X2 Chic!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0344276506&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT&viewitem=
Indeed, the market has spoken.
Worldwide exposure, 34 bids and the most "the market" was willing to pay was $45,100. Can anyone argue that this car has been exposed to almost everyone on the planet that has any interest in E9s? It's sort of difficult to argue with these facts folks. I'm guessing that the car was not run through Barrett-Jackson because aside from not reaching its intended audience, B-J is a no reserve format.

So, would the car be well bought at $45,000? Sure, no doubt, but as a few of us have said throughout this thread, times are tough and it looks like they will be for the foreseeable future. Ron, it's not that you and your customer don't deserve every penny for such a great car, it's just that some of us become frustrated with people who appear to be living in a bubble. The number of so-called "rich guys" that buy boats, houses, jets, cars like "they are a sandwich" is dwindling by the day. I know, I know, I watched Barret-Jackson this week as well and saw plenty of P.O.S. Shelby Mustangs selling for $150,000 and ridiculous prototype Vettes for $500,000+, but these type of cars appeal to a much wider audience than the "nichy" coupes (Thank God we coupe owners are not lumped in the same class as the typical Barret-Jackson participant!)

Sell the car for what the market says it's worth, take your lumps, put the $50,000 to work someplace else for the time being and move on. (IMHO)
ALternately, stubbornly hold on to the car until the right person comes along and see if you can squeeze $80k from the right person. When will that happen? Your guess is as good as mine. My point is that money is certainly not free these days, so for every month your $45,000 is tied up in an asset not earning anything, costing money (further adding to the $135k build).

I just see this type of reverse logic all the time in the business world and sellers are always reluctant to take their pain. I'm sure Ron and his client have an exit strategy that works for them. (hope you're ready to enjoy custon coupe ownership for another few years though with those kind of expectations)

Let me apologize for sounding so opinionated while I'm at it. Let me say in advance of any blowback I may receive, that, this is a forum....where people tend to express valid, often well thought out opinions to share with 0thers in the Coupe world. :wink:

chicane

Reaction score
acat2002 said:
chicane said:

X2 Chic!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0344276506&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT&viewitem=
Indeed, the market has spoken.
Worldwide exposure, 34 bids and the most "the market" was willing to pay was $45,100. Can anyone argue that this car has been exposed to almost everyone on the planet that has any interest in E9s? It's sort of difficult to argue with these facts folks. I'm guessing that the car was not run through Barrett-Jackson because aside from not reaching its intended audience, B-J is a no reserve format.

So, would the car be well bought at $45,000? Sure, no doubt, but as a few of us have said throughout this thread, times are tough and it looks like they will be for the foreseeable future. Ron, it's not that you and your customer don't deserve every penny for such a great car, it's just that some of us become frustrated with people who appear to be living in a bubble. The number of so-called "rich guys" that buy boats, houses, jets, cars like "they are a sandwich" is dwindling by the day. I know, I know, I watched Barret-Jackson this week as well and saw plenty of P.O.S. Shelby Mustangs selling for $150,000 and ridiculous prototype Vettes for $500,000+, but these type of cars appeal to a much wider audience than the "nichy" coupes (Thank God we coupe owners are not lumped in the same class as the typical Barret-Jackson participant!)

Sell the car for what the market says it's worth, take your lumps, put the $50,000 to work someplace else for the time being and move on. (IMHO)
ALternately, stubbornly hold on to the car until the right person comes along and see if you can squeeze $80k from the right person. When will that happen? Your guess is as good as mine. My point is that money is certainly not free these days, so for every month your $45,000 is tied up in an asset not earning anything, costing money (further adding to the $135k build).

I just see this type of reverse logic all the time in the business world and sellers are always reluctant to take their pain. I'm sure Ron and his client have an exit strategy that works for them. (hope you're ready to enjoy custon coupe ownership for another few years though with those kind of expectations)

Let me apologize for sounding so opinionated while I'm at it. Let me say in advance of any blowback I may receive, that, this is a forum....where people tend to express valid, often well thought out opinions to share with 0thers in the Coupe world. :wink:

X1000. I think that says it all.....

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
chicane said:
bert35csi said:
This has nagged me for awhile now but what goes into a $35,000 paint job?

LOL. Please tell us when you find out. :)

First off, you have to get past the image of someone smearing a little body filler on some panels, sanding it and painting. I just stopped by my friends body shop here in town and he's working on an old Chevy pickup (don't know the specifics). He said the guy is getting a bargain at the $15k cost so far. I told him about the coupe on Ebay with the $35k paint job and he didn't think that was out of line at all. He's seen $50k paint on some special cars. By the time the paint gets put on the car, and I'm talking about good paint with no special graphics or wizzy stuff, 90% of the work has been done. He said he'd been working on the fender that was in front of him for six hours getting it perfectly straight and he wasn't done yet. Yes, its a big stepside truck fender, but its still only one fender. Paint will cost $2k by itself and up. This doesn't mean that I think body and paint is worth that much, but its believable.

Dan

chicane

Reaction score
dang said:
chicane said:
bert35csi said:

LOL. Please tell us when you find out. :)

First off, you have to get past the image of someone smearing a little body filler on some panels, sanding it and painting. I just stopped by my friends body shop here in town and he's working on an old Chevy pickup (don't know the specifics). He said the guy is getting a bargain at the $15k cost so far. I told him about the coupe on Ebay with the $35k paint job and he didn't think that was out of line at all. He's seen $50k paint on some special cars. By the time the paint gets put on the car, and I'm talking about good paint with no special graphics or wizzy stuff, 90% of the work has been done. He said he'd been working on the fender that was in front of him for six hours getting it perfectly straight and he wasn't done yet. Yes, its a big stepside truck fender, but its still only one fender. Paint will cost $2k by itself and up. This doesn't mean that I think body and paint is worth that much, but its believable.

Dan

I think what we are talking about is cost v.s. value. I have seen six figure Ferrari's that didn't cost $35K to completely repaint. Obviously spending this much on body and paint for a car of this type is not worth the money...just check out the final auction price.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
bert35csi said:

I took that question as "what goes into a $35k paint job". The paint job itself may be worth $35k based on labor, material and supplies. A $35k paint job on a coupe is not worth the cost, in my opinion, regardless of the coupe.

Status
Not open for further replies.