Gary's Avus Blau 3.0CS rebuild

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hey Gary -- I presume you have redone the foam inside the heater box and made sure that the little hole that allows condensation to exit the passenger compartment is not choked with foam remnents so as to cause puddles in the box, which leads to water in the footwells when you go around turns, correct?

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Gary,

Yes, the probe is a pain, I just barely saw the hole from the side and stuck it in. I had previously inserted it but it fell back out wrestling everything into place. There was originally a copper tube in the fins for the probe to sit but I didn’t have one.

Same thing happened to me. I had it in there and it fell out. The copper tube was in mine. Just hope the probe went in the copper tube, not that it really matters.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
the rivets look better than screws ... more permanent ... your car feels more respected when its jewelry is put on like it means to stay there.

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
the rivets look better than screws ... more permanent ... your car feels more respected when its jewelry is put on like it means to stay there.
I know the factory used rivets. If I decide I like the look of the aged VIN plate I will rivet it in.

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
More progress today with glass and headers.
My glass guy came today to install front and rear glass. All the side I have done myself.
I was lucky to find this guy and sent him to my body shop owner a few weeks ago to look at installing a windshield in Phil Parkey's car.
He was able to do that successfully after another guy broke Phil's windshield. Body shop ordered another windshield from W&N and Greg the glass guy did the job.
He spent 4 hours today installing the glass. Back window went in on first try. After seeing him do this I am very confident I could do the front or rear. It's not hard it's just knowing a few tricks and not getting in a hurry.
When we got started on the front it became clear pretty quickly that it slid towards the drivers side. We pulled it out and started over. Second time we watched very carefully and he pulled the rope and were able to keep it centered by the time he got across the top. After that it was just a matter of working it in and getting the rubber to seek a natural home. You have to keep pulling the outer edge lip up so it will seal the whole window. The rubber has this white film all over it. I think it's to keep the rubber from drying out but also makes it slide. Sure makes a mess to clean up.
Luckily we didn't have any trouble with the molding which was installed in the rubber gasket BEFORE the window was installed in the car. It stayed in place quit well so I guess it didn't suffer from the anodizing removal and machine polishing done by an 80 year old guy in North Georgia that has quite a reputation with antique cars.
WHEW! Glad that's over.

Picked up headers today after ceramic coating for the second time since I've owned this car. When my youngest son was little and he would go outside into the bright sun he would say, "it brights my eyes daddy".
That's what I thought of today when I picked them up.
So some time tomorrow installing them and then under to install the rest of the exhaust and we are really close to startup. No fluids in engine yet but do have brakes and will probably have to bleed clutch some more as it still doesn't feel very positive.
Will put oil in engine and crank till I get some oil pressure after sitting for three years.
Here's a few pix.

Attachments

• IMG_2008.jpg
    IMG_2008.jpg
    306.7 KB · Views: 345
  • IMG_2010.jpg
    IMG_2010.jpg
    320.9 KB · Views: 343
  • IMG_2011.jpg
    IMG_2011.jpg
    271.1 KB · Views: 356
  • IMG_2013.jpg
    IMG_2013.jpg
    327.1 KB · Views: 353
  • IMG_2016.jpg
    IMG_2016.jpg
    362.9 KB · Views: 345
  • IMG_2020.jpg
    IMG_2020.jpg
    284.6 KB · Views: 351
  • IMG_2021.jpg
    IMG_2021.jpg
    864.3 KB · Views: 348

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Gary -- your car looks great. I do hope you make Sharkfest. And do let me know if you want someone who has a coupe that will make yours look a whole lot better to park next to you.

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hey Gary -- I presume you have redone the foam inside the heater box and made sure that the little hole that allows condensation to exit the passenger compartment is not choked with foam remnents so as to cause puddles in the box, which leads to water in the footwells when you go around turns, correct?

Yeah, I think I covered that box pretty well. And I know the drain hole is open, heck the whole box was.

Attachments

• IMG_1512.jpg
    IMG_1512.jpg
    280.5 KB · Views: 308
  • IMG_1513.jpg
    IMG_1513.jpg
    258.2 KB · Views: 297

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Is this like a christening? Start-up tomorrow. Got oil pressure tonight just cranking with no plugs.

Attachments

• IMG_2091.jpg
    IMG_2091.jpg
    316.7 KB · Views: 307

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
It started today. Webers are popping a lot which is a lean condition. Upped the fuel pressure a little and that helped some. The front one is really noisy so maybe the float is sticking.
Got the timing close but still kinda of a fast idle.
Great oil pressure over 50 PSI.
The wire that is supposed to be 12v to coil did not have 12v. Had to go digging in harness to find the correct one. Why it was hiding I don't know?
Needs more tweaking. I have a longer video after I tweaked a few things but it needs editing for the swear words. Just kidding, but it is too long.
More tweaking tomorrow. My Innovate AFR gauge is not working. It has power. Not sure about that?
12 hours today getting all the little things.
Sorry, going to have to convert iphone video to upload here. Be back tomorrow.

Last edited:

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I give up. I've tried loading a video to YouTube twice now. Both times from my phone following instructions from YouTube.
Both times failed so no video. I have to much to do to waist time on that.

It is running now and still tweaking. Webers sat for 3 years and may have some varnish so running with a can of Seafoam in the tank.
It gets better every time I start it up.

Seats aren't in so can't drive for another day or two.

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Actually moved out of garage today............ because that was the only way I was going to get the drivers seat in.
Just too close to a wall of cabinets on the driver side to get the seat in the correct side and certainly wasn't going to lug it across the inside of the car and tear up something.
The Scheel seats are heavy. So put a stool on the drivers side and cranked her up.
Got the seat in which with a totally new bracket was tricky because bolt access is limited.
Drove around the neighbor hood ( deadend) and getting some popping from the Webers so need to look into that more.
Seemed so weird to be able to walk across my lift after almost 12 months of the car sitting.
Nice to see in the sun. And it's covered in pollen.

Just want to say how much I hate the center console in a coupe. What a piece of sh*t when it comes to the design and engineering they did. It's so hokey like something some amateur car builder with out resources would do.

Attachments

• IMG_2187.jpg
    IMG_2187.jpg
    387.3 KB · Views: 284
  • IMG_2185.jpg
    IMG_2185.jpg
    520.6 KB · Views: 294
  • IMG_2186.jpg
    IMG_2186.jpg
    501.2 KB · Views: 280
  • IMG_2184.jpg
    IMG_2184.jpg