Getting this 3.0CSi back on the road

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
So the other G265/6 arrived from Liuthania a couple weeks after the last post, I installed it and has been driving quite a lot this summer, no problems with the "new" gearbox.
The 5 speed update has to be the best upgrade you can do to a coupe, it's finally relaxing to drive on the highway and those long straight country roads we have alot of.

The 265/6 wasn't exactly perfect to mate with the 3.25 diff, so I was close to buying a 3.45 LSD from Germany, but the seller backed out last minute, and at the same time I saw a cheap local 3.45 non-LSD for sale so I bought that just to try out the gear ratio. The result is pretty good for my driving so now I'm just going to keep my eyes open for a 3.45 LSD.

Quick paint job

IMG_20200529_205409.jpg

Other than that it's just been alot of to-and-from work driving now that it's fun to drive some distances.

05:30am
BMW e9 going to work.jpg

Stuck at some road work.

BMW e9 hot days.jpg

Frank can't stop talking about going for a drive in the coupe, so sometimes I do allow him to come with me for a very careful drive since he's still too young to sit facing forward.
He loves it as much as I do :D

Test drive.jpg

I'm quite bad at taking pictures from everyday driving, so when I'm going for the last drive of the season I always remember that, damn, I need some pictures, so here's some pics I took last weekend when I went to dry it out after the last wash before going into the corner of the garage again.

Fall BMW e9 small size 2.jpg

Fall BMW e9 small size 5.jpg

Fall BMW e9 small size 3.jpg

Fall BMW e9 small size 6.jpg

Fall BMW e9 small size 4.jpg

Fall BMW e9 small size 1.jpg

No major updates planned this coming winter, but you never know?
It's now tucked away in the corner again.

In the corner again.jpg

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I agree the 265/6 and 3.45 is a sweet combo. I thought the auto cable reaches the 265/6, no difference in the end of the cable itself.

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
Lovely pics.

@Gransin where did you source the gearbox(es). did you do the work yourself. And what about the speedo cable (I believe that needs adapting). Was it straightforward?

Thanks Michael,

I found out about this guy in Liuthania from another member:
Here's his ebay:

He's a great guy, very honest and I wouldn't hesitate to buy from him again despite the problem I had, he did all he could to correct the mistake.
Doesn't seem to have any 265's on Ebay at the moment, but you should contact him directly via email, he seems to have more stuff than what he offers on Ebay.
PM me if you want his email.

I did all the work myself except shortening the driveshaft.
The speedo cable is plug&play as long as the G265 has the speedo drive, I took my speedo drive out of the 4-speed Getrag and put it into the G265 but you still need to make sure that a G265 without the speedo drive has the internal gear that drives the speedo drive (photo attached), otherwise you can't simply swap over the speedo drive.
Easiest is to find a G265 with the speedo drive already installed.
I've read that you might need an automatic speedo cable (it's a bit longer) but the manual speedo cable worked well for me.

The work itself was straightforward, but that's because I spent many many hours reading and figuring out what I needed to order, before I even touched the car.
The list of parts I wrote should be pretty complete for a 4 speed to 5 speed swap, but I'm happy to answer any questions that anyone might have :)

Internal gear.jpg

Last edited:

Michael Kaye

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks Michael,

I found out about this guy in Liuthania from another member:
Here's his ebay:

He's a great guy, very honest and I wouldn't hesitate to buy from him again despite the problem I had, he did all he could to correct the mistake.
Doesn't seem to have any 265's on Ebay at the moment, but you should contact him directly via email, he seems to have more stuff than what he offers on Ebay.
PM me if you want his email.

I did all the work myself except shortening the driveshaft.
The speedo cable is plug&play as long as the G265 has the speedo drive, I took my speedo drive out of the 4-speed Getrag and put it into the G265 but you still need to make sure that a G265 without the speedo drive has the internal gear that drives the speedo drive (photo attached), otherwise you can't simply swap over the speedo drive.
Easiest is to find a G265 with the speedo drive already installed.
I've read that you might need an automatic speedo cable (it's a bit longer) but the manual speedo cable worked well for me.

The work itself was straightforward, but that's because I spent many many hours reading and figuring out what I needed to order, before I even touched the car.
The list of parts I wrote should be pretty complete for a 4 speed to 5 speed swap, but I'm happy to answer any questions that anyone might have :)

View attachment 103404

thanks very much. Really helpful info. Seriously thinking this might be a good winter project!

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
Don't shy away from a 3.07 as you can swap the gears from the 3:45 into it as long as the ring gear has the same bolt pattern

Yes I'm aware of that possibility, however we don't have a local diff shop that could help me with that task. And I'm not comfortable with setting up the backlash and preloads etc. myself, so finding a 3.45 LSD ready-to-go (maybe replace clutches and dogrings) would be so much easier than shipping it across the country back and forth.

Wladek

Reaction score
Don't shy away from a 3.07 as you can swap the gears from the 3:45 into it as long as the ring gear has the same bolt pattern
Looking at side half shafts mounts bolts, that diff on Robert photo above is an early style 3.45, so it will be 8 bolts crown gear mount, later 3.07 will have 10 bolts mount, so they will not be interchangeable.

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
Looking at side half shafts mounts bolts, that diff on Robert photo above is an early style 3.45, so it will be 8 bolts crown gear mount, later 3.07 will have 10 bolts mount, so they will not be interchangeable.

Thanks for making that clear, Wladek!

Bert Poliakoff

Site Donor
Reaction score
I had the last one I did, by a shop that does large tractor gear box/differentials. He did my first one years ago complete with with me furnishing bearings and seals for $300 but was to busy to do the last one I did a year or so ago but let one of his guys do the gear switch and set up on the side. He charged me $200 to switch the 3:45 into a 3:07 and vice a versa and set the lash so maybe that is a an idea

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
Small update on the coupe, @Wladek has helped me with creating a better driving experience, I've always thought that the steering wheel is a bit too far forward for me, don't know if it's the Scheels or just my body. So he made me a super sweet spacer that goes between the hub and wheel:

IMG_20210831_121646.jpg

IMG_20210831_121700.jpg

IMG_20210902_181404.jpg

IMG_20210902_182011.jpg

IMG_20210902_182348.jpg

IMG_20210902_181550.jpg

IMG_20210902_181900.jpg

As you can see on the last photo, my Petri 38 is a foam version with tapered ends on the spokes.
Then @Wladek had another Petri 38 for sale, with a very nice leather re-wrap and modified ends on the spokes to mimic the CSL Petri.
So I just had to ask if he wanted to give my Petri the same treatment, and that's what happened.
Just got it back, it's Perfect.

IMG_20220207_175702.jpg

Last edited: