Hotrodded Coupe Project

TrackRat

Reaction score
hello all,

I recently signed onto this e9Coupe group. I had been lurking on Art W's group for some time, as well as the Yahoo race CSL group. I have had correspondence or have bought and/or sold parts with a number of you folks.

I have been out in my garage building my CS coupe hotrod, which I started in the fall of 2001. Consequently I have not been online all that much. My coupe is finally on the road and driving, but with open headers. Let's just say that the neighbors aren't happy... I've got about 12 miles on it, driving the local rural back roads, but I'm pushing my luck with the local police. I am constructing the exhaust system now, (three into two into one) and will get the car corner balanced and weighed later this month. The first track outing should be in mid-june or July sometime. I'll post some pix as soon as I can

Regards,

'Rat

threewebers

Reaction score
hot rod

I though I was th e only one to pick such a painful car to hotrod and yes it's also been about five years give a ring sometime ,we can cry to each other,I'm almost ready to fire also but so close and yet so far! 805-368-5857 jeff

AndyM

Reaction score
You need to host them somewhere else and use the Img tag up above to get the picture to load here. I use photobucket.com -- its free.

CSi.jpg

TrackRat

Reaction score
Motorsport Dash, with gauges. Original Tach, front and center, with speedo to the right, Oil pressure gauge, with red idiot light below it, and coolant temp gauge with blue idiot light below that.
3-gauge cluster to the right: Oil temp, Fuel Pressure and AFR gauge from L to R. Momo Prototipo wheel whith extension, Lowered steering column.

coupedash1.jpg

Stahl Headers visible, with EGT ports-all 6 plugged. Speedway Motors Alum radiator installed, fitted easily in position, but not with OEM fan- instead an Electric fan is fitted in front of rad.
CoupeMotor2.jpg

'Rat

Bryce

Reaction score
wow, lookin great. It's an inspiration to keep on grinding, fixing and painting! Mine car is spread all around the shed at the moment which makes it tough to take a pic.
Bryce

TrackRat

Reaction score
Jeff, It was good to speak with you the other day on the phone. It sounds like both of our concepts and ideas of the "hotrodded coupe" are nearly the same. 3000 miles apart. I feel like I am in somewhat a "coupe vacuum" out here in Connecticut - I don't see many coupes on the road at all. The road salt ate them up in a matter of a year or two when they were new.

Bryce, Thanks for the kind words. I hope you can keep up the pace on your project!

'Rat

shanon

Reaction score
ahah!

I thought that was you D when you listed running around with open pipes :twisted: My neighbors frowned at mine also. Nice car!

All us 'rodders & T-rats will have to meet up sometime (in the middle, Miller Park in Utah?) and go for it someday.

-Essex Bros Flying Circus
'73 E9 dedicated racer & '70 E9 dual purpose car

TrackRat

Reaction score
Hello Shannon,

Yep, you found me out. I'd love to do an event sometime. Although I'd say meeting in the "middle" for both of us would put us at a circuit in Kansas... not Utah 8) Hmmm.... isn't Hallet motorsports park in Kansas?

Both your car and your brother's car still appear on my screen saver here at work. Great stuff...

Regards,

Doug B
'Rat

threewebers

Reaction score
hotrod

Nice car!Just got back into town from san fransisco to see these great pics (you can post pics of every part of the car if you'd like I'd love to see more of the details) :D

threewebers

Reaction score
hotrod coupe

Okay,you're killing me here,I've been checking the site every day for more pics of you're mean machine!I know it's a pain in the neck taking digitals and inputting them but i can wait to see more! :D

TrackRat

Reaction score
Hi Malc and Threewebers,

Sorry for the "radio silence" and the apparent "tease" that I left in my last message... my bad... however, I've been away from home for a bit. I promise to post more pix of some of the details as you asked.

I have run the ole girl for 210 miles so far and have had a minimum of problems and issues. I'm still tweaking and tuningand getting used to the car: brake balance, clutch feel. nut-and-bolt checks.... no big parts have fallen off yet :D It pulls like a freight train and has that classic seamless BMW torque-y feel. The exhaust system came out well and has 3" tube from the header collector pipe set-up all the way to the rear. It is not too loud, but at WOT it makes a good growl. I ended up without the cherry bomb center resonator-the exhaust just goes to a flowmaster 50 series with 3" in/out. I also had a corner balance and a 4 wheel alignment done by a local shop; weight is at 2620 lbs with full fuel, no driver. I was hoping (dreaming) for a lot less.

Malc, The dash is a repro fiberglas Motorsport dash shell I purchased from Dan K in colorado. I fabricated all the other bits to make it work. The cage's cross-tube runs in the lower-most part of the dash, tucked up and out of the way, located horizontally just over the steering column. I also drilled and tapped into this tube to retain/secure the lower part of the fiberglass dash. The main inset instrument panel itself (tan in color- directly in front of the wheel) is retained with six 10-32 screws with big,flat heads on them. I resined in six "L" shaped aluminum retaining brackets in the back sideof the fiberglas portion of the dash, around the opening. These six sccrews are tapped into each of these six brackets. That way, I can remove those six screws from the front face, and pull out the inner dash panel from the black fiberglass portion for service/access. I left enough of a "service loop" of wiring forall of the gauges, in order to sneak that panel out (toward the steering wheel) without removing the whole black fiberglass dash portion. The three canted gauges on the center right of the dash are fitted to pieces of 16 gauge aluminum, bent into shape. that aluminum sheet is glued in place with glass cloth and resin. the 2 1/6" holes are drilled into these aluminum sheet pieces to retain those three gauges. Those gauges can be pulled out when the fasteners are removed from the back side of the fiberglass dash. However, that would require some gymnastic head stand/arm bending maneuvers to get them out without removing the main dash. I hope they stay there a long time.

It has been very gratifying to finnally be able to "blat around" in the car after all the time spent building. I drove it to work today- It is a bright sunny clear crisp day here in CT.
Regards,

Doug B
TrackRat

decoupe

(deceased)
Reaction score
I don't see a brake booster either vac or hydraulic - can you describe your setup? Also did you convert to manual steering box?