I just couldn't stop myself opening Pandora's Box!

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Keep in mind that the speedo gearing is tied to the diff. Check out the tag on the back of your speedo. The diff gearing is behind the passenger tire on a flat portion of the diff that faces the tire. Bottom side of the diff, rearward is the axle flange. Take an air powered scotch brite to the area.

Dan Mooney

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Bought my car with 66,000km, on the odo. I have put 100,000km on my car since 2011.

Bet your odo has been around at least once if not more.
Possibly, Andrew, but I don't think so. The previous owner bought the car in 1988 with 51,250 kms, which he believed to be genuine, and he only put about 12,500 kms on the car during his 30 years of ownership.

You may of course be right, and perhaps we will have a clearer indication when we open up the engine.

Dan Mooney

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Keep in mind that the speedo gearing is tied to the diff. Check out the tag on the back of your speedo. The diff gearing is behind the passenger tire on a flat portion of the diff that faces the tire. Bottom side of the diff, rearward is the axle flange. Take an air powered scotch brite to the area.

My CSi has a 3.25 differential, Markos. The speedo code (W=O.68) is correct for a CSL or CSi with a 3.25 final drive.

11518dm14.jpg

22018dm17.jpg

Last edited:

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Earlier today we removed the dash and interior wood trim which is being sent to Bela for restoration. I think I am going to go with a fairly bold Zebrano veneer. ]
i think zebrawood will look pretty in a coupe with blue interior. i thought about a few woods for my black interior, and zebrawood was one of them. there are synthetic / composite versions, but the real thing is quite pretty.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
here is a blue panel with natural zebrawood and the synthetic zebrano. the open grain of the real wood is so nice compared to the highly filled / smooth finish of the composite.

blue with zebrawood.jpg

blue with zebrano.jpg

Dan Mooney

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
the first photo is the real thing, the 2nd one is the composite
Wow, I think I prefer the smoothness of the composite, to be honest, although they both look great. Similar patterns in the veneer.

Bela sent me the photo below as an option. Too bold and dark for my dark blue interior?

IMG_1331.JPG

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
makassar ebony. i looked at that too. i have been thinking of highly figured etimoe - this is a piece of raw veneer (unfinished).

s-l1600.jpg

here is a picture of beautiful zebrawood that is highly filled.
zebrawood_quartered.jpg

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
the truth of the matter is not just what the wood is ... its the selection of the veneer flitch. to do a coupe you need a piece thats about 8 to 10" wide and 90" + long. and of course, a beautiful piece of walnut

walnut_flatcut_figured.jpg

Dan Mooney

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
the truth of the matter is not just what the wood is ... its the selection of the veneer flitch. to do a coupe you need a piece thats about 8 to 10" wide and 90" + long. and of course, a beautiful piece of walnut

View attachment 41052
Before I pull the trigger I'll ask Bela to send me a few options. As someone said earlier, I'm getting a bit ahead of myself talking about the wood when I am about to send the body to Miklos :rolleyes: