I just couldn't stop myself opening Pandora's Box!

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
its very pretty Andrew. something so nice about the fine linear grain without excessive figuring in the e9 coupe. with a black interior, the slightly more orange tones look better than the browner tones.

Dan Mooney

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Interesting to find lots of date stamps on the dash and interior wood trim components we removed from the car. The factory were clearly still working on the interior wood trim just a couple of weeks before the car was completed on May 15, 1973.

22118dm1.jpg

Steel gauge cluster frame dated February 1973

22118dm7.jpg

Wood gauge cluster frame dated November 20, 1972

22118dm2.jpg

Rear wood dated April 13, 1973

22118dm3.jpg

Door cappings dated April 25, 1973

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
572EB16C-B66A-4C89-AD6D-A78F68489E4F.jpeg
I received my wood set from Bela over a year ago and still have not installed it (maybe I need to order one of those windshield replacements to get the process started).

It’s browner than the original red tone but I think it will look better with my saddle interior. The problem will be that it will not match my red tone wood Nardi sterling wheel. I guess Pandora wants me to buy a Black leather wrapped Petri wheel and hub along with a new windshield.

Dan Mooney

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
In the last few days I have decided that my Coupe isn't rusty enough to justify shipping it to Maestro Milkos in Hungary. Another deciding factor was that I really didn't want to be parted from the car for the best part of a year, so I decided that I am going to have one of my own guys do the rust repair and panel replacement. To that end, earlier today we removed both front wings.

I wasn't surprised at the rust we found beneath the wings - I was expecting that. What I wasn't expecting was to find shovel loads of gravel and rubble that had found a permanent home between the outer and inner wings and between the wings and the screen cowl panel. I am thinking I may look into installing some sort of discreet mudguard or screen when I go back together with everything. I really don't like the thought of road grime and gravel starting to collect behind the wings as soon as the car is back on the road.

Anyway, I am actually quite pleased to see my car with its front wings removed because I knew it was only a matter of time before they had to come off!

Onward and upwards!

31518dm3.jpg

31518dm4.jpg

31518dm5.jpg

31518dm10.jpg

31518dm12.jpg

31518dm17.jpg

31518dm18.jpg

31518dm19.jpg

31518dm20.jpg

31518dm22.jpg

31518dm23.jpg

31518dm24.jpg

31518dm34.jpg

Last edited:

Dan Mooney

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
This rather lovely radiator was made for me by Ron Davis. It arrived just as we were sweeping up the rust from my inner front wings, so it cheered me up greatly :D

31518dm30.jpg

31518dm33.jpg

31518dm32.jpg

31518dm31.jpg

Dan Mooney

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You need a set of the Lokari inner fender liners
Yes, Keshav just told me about the Lokari liners, too. I was going to have my guys fabricate something similar, but the Lokari liners look like exactly what I need. A quality product at a great price. I am sold.
Thank you for the tip!
Dan

Last edited:

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Regarding the Lokari‘s.
Read recently that Christoph (CS Werke) replaced the staples that attach the rubber stripping to the Alu body, with rivets. Very good idea and easy to do when new and clean.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
not sure i follow you Keshav. you are saying, before the lokaris are installed, remove the rubber edging, get rid of the staples and rivet the rubber back to the aluminum sheeting?

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Wow Dan, that's crazy I would love to come visit your shop in Austin, BTW this Saturday at 8:00 am at Motzart's Terry Sayther has his mini cars n coffee, you should join us- Dan Zinz is usually there and Terry can give you allot of advice on the best cam to use. I'm starting (again) on my megasquirt conversion plus my little cars second rebuild- this time I hope to get it right :). Lots of projects going on... the plus is no customer cars, the minus is there's only me and that's scary. In fact the scariest thing about driving my car is that I put it together- (although wanna-be mellennial Stepford Wives with Apple stickers on their rear windshields comes in a very close second). :-\

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
not sure i follow you Keshav. you are saying, before the lokaris are installed, remove the rubber edging, get rid of the staples and rivet the rubber back to the aluminum sheeting?

Hi, indeed. Lokaris are THE answer to the mud and stone problem, but they can be improved. Replacing the staples with aluminium rivits is what I would do as well. Take a look at the attached pic of a 2 year old lokari. The rust isn't a problem, the staple will probablyhold for 10 or 15 years. But rust just looks out of place on a e9.
Another modification is the attachment to the fender; it uses a bracket on the back side (supposedly dry side) of the lokari. However they just advise to thread a metal screw through the fender. I vomit. I plan to work out if i cannot use the two M10 bolts that hold the bumper mounts to the frame rails. They seem to be in an ideal location for that.

I have been planning to make the lokaris's myself, luckily a local forum member had one uninstalled and was kind enough to loan them so I could make a template. According to the owner, these lokaris have been installed ( I believe ) for 2 years and worked magic to keep stones and mud out of the wheel well.

Attachments

• 20180226_222906_resized.jpg
    20180226_222906_resized.jpg
    315.3 KB · Views: 223

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
sorry to be perhaps pessimist , but i can see those lokari's keep dirt and mud outside but sure no water .... those rubber edges will never be watertight. Can it dry every time inside ? or do those keep it just wet for a much longer time ?

Dan Mooney

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Wow Dan, that's crazy I would love to come visit your shop in Austin, BTW this Saturday at 8:00 am at Motzart's Terry Sayther has his mini cars n coffee, you should join us- Dan Zinz is usually there and Terry can give you allot of advice on the best cam to use. I'm starting (again) on my megasquirt conversion plus my little cars second rebuild- this time I hope to get it right :). Lots of projects going on... the plus is no customer cars, the minus is there's only me and that's scary. In fact the scariest thing about driving my car is that I put it together- (although wanna-be mellennial Stepford Wives with Apple stickers on their rear windshields comes in a very close second). :-\
Hi Peter,
You are most welcome to visit. Give me a shout ahead of time and I'll give you the dime tour;) I always say that if I won the lottery, nothing would change at the shop except all the cars would belong to me, no customer cars. Unfortunately, customers are the only known source of revenue, so we smile and keep on :D
Cheers!
Dan

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score

Exactly right Scott. See attached pics from Christoph‘s car. The staples are ‘instaple’ like in instable ;) and gets rusty and ‘soft’ over the years. The company makes them for a variety of cars, I have them in my Pagode too. Although I wouldn’t jack the car up like he’s has.

We’ve been using the Lokaris for well over 20 years. Might not be ideal for Barry’s off road use, but for us street drivers, it’s a coupe’s life prolonging measure.

Attachments

• 6669275B-FE93-44E3-A61A-096B3E292B50.jpeg
    6669275B-FE93-44E3-A61A-096B3E292B50.jpeg
    82.4 KB · Views: 212
  • 7449CB36-5088-4E49-A701-0E0B158279CD.jpeg
    7449CB36-5088-4E49-A701-0E0B158279CD.jpeg
    65.4 KB · Views: 210
  • E0489B6D-BD8D-447B-826C-08A2BD4C91F9.jpeg
    E0489B6D-BD8D-447B-826C-08A2BD4C91F9.jpeg
    61.2 KB · Views: 220

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
apart from the non OEM vertical plate , is Dan's car missing the one in the corner ? or is this welded in a wrong place here in the pic ?
voorplaat3.jpg

voorplaat4.jpg

i have ordered at W&N all those plates as they are missing in my blue car...

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
In a way I'm relieved the car is not going to Miklos. To me that seemed like an expensive proposition just to get the chassis to him. Very happy you have decided to tackle this at your shop.

This truly is a tale of what lies beneath. That sand and gravel is why the glove box and fuse box rust. I was very fortunate with Athena that there wasn't any crud up there when the car was restored in 2015/2016. I did have some perforation along the fender seam but not as bad as yours.

I have been running Lokaris since 2014, they are a must for these cars no matter where you live.

Dan Mooney

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
In a way I'm relieved the car is not going to Miklos. To me that seemed like an expensive proposition just to get the chassis to him. Very happy you have decided to tackle this at your shop.

This truly is a tale of what lies beneath. That sand and gravel is why the glove box and fuse box rust. I was very fortunate with Athena that there wasn't any crud up there when the car was restored in 2015/2016. I did have some perforation along the fender seam but not as bad as yours.

I have been running Lokaris since 2014, they are a must for these cars no matter where you live.
Thanks Andrew. In fact once you get the fenders off and can see the wood for the trees, the repairs actually look pretty straight forward. I think I have made the right decision to keep the CSi at home.

Cheers!
Dan