Lorelei will be available for purchase

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
completely dumbfounded that this coupe has stayed stagnant for the last couple of days. i really expect it to go crazy in the last few hours

First 6 days are all about exposure and examination of the lot (and stress for the seller). While the last hour is when things really take off, we’ve seen bidders admit to getting scared off if the last-day activity is just too tepid, “are other people seeing problems I’m not?” Doesn’t seem like that happens as often for cars in this tax bracket w this many positive comments.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I wholeheartedly expect this auction to take off in the last scheduled hour + about 30 minutes of 2-minute increments. Well deserved vehicle imo, and currently no where near its correct price. Hoping for a satisfied seller and a thrilled new owner. I'll be watching.

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
i will follow it … curious … end will be here in Belgium at 9:00 PM. ( now 7:00 PM)
Fingers crossed for a deserved outcome !

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
happy that it has at least (finally) crossed 50k ... wanting to see it double in the next 1.5 hours

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
really disappointed that it stopped at 67k but is now at 75k. end of 1st extended time now 77k - 2nd extension 80k ... starting to get closer to where it should be

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
right there with you Stephen ... i think the reserve should have been 85k to 90k ... but then again, getting it sold might be the most important thing. congrats to Gary for taking such great care of the car and getting it to where it is now - well done!

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I think the new owner of Lorelei (may get a name change, who knows) will be a great custodian. I'm also extremely impressed that he stayed up very late into the night to make the bids (he's now living in Japan, car will be going to Cincinnati in about 30 days).

I can't thank all of you enough who posted such nice comments about 'us' (the car and me) on the auction site. The 'confirmation of character' meant a great deal to me. I actually feel it is a fair price for the car. As I've said, it is never going to be a concours winning car, but it is a great looking and driving one.

THANKS AGAIN GUYS

Gary (going to apply for 'e9 Forum Member emeritus' status now that I no longer own an e9!!)

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I honestly think the auction went well. It was a great buy, and I am glad that @Gary Knox won't be spending his time winter trying to float the car through private parties at a higher reserve.. The car is without question lovely and well cared for, but dare I say it is not perfect (hey @Gary Knox said it first!). Of course I have to add the disclaimer that I would kill to have a car this nice someday. With that said, it is set somewhat apart from the $100K cars on BaT that were newer restorations in an original color with a fresher motors and interiors. I meant what I said on BaT about the value of a broken in restoration, and I think the price reflects that. At $80K, there is headroom room for the owner to tinker with the interior without losing money on the refinements. That plus any (shhh) "market confidence issues" leaves me feeling that the price was about right.

@Gary Knox for me this was the most positive and community-friendly auction of the year!

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Gary (going to apply for 'e9 Forum Member emeritus' status now that I no longer own an e9!!)

Application accepted & processed.
gary.jpg

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
Gary, I think you did just fine with your car. Market a little sketchy since Monterey this past summer. Wise to cut it loose rather than hold out. Economic slowdown is coming.

Again, I wish i were in the market at this time. Your coupe was lovely.