Lorelei will be available for purchase

Tone

Reaction score
Gary, the car looks great. It’s nice to see another Granarot. Good luck with the sale. As an aside, I also have a E31. A 1991 Canadian spec 850i.

All the best, Tim.

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Tim,

Thanks, and the car can look like Granarot in some light, but it is actually Surinamrot, a Porsche color in 1980 and 81. It has a bit of copper tone to it, and not quite as deep red as Granatrot. The 3rd owner - who had all the restorations/modifications done, loved the combination of this color with the grey full leather interior (custom made) so much that he bought a 'bespoke' sailboat and had the hull stained to this red color and the topside painted the same shade of grey as the interior was when I bought it. Turns out, the sailboat purchase turned into a friendship with the salesman, and the salesman became the 4th owner when #3 decided to sell it in 2006.

Gary

Last edited:

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have decided I'll be selling my car - Lorelei in the not too distant future. LOTS of info, driven ~15K miles in the past 35 years, while ~$80K was spent on restoration, modification and upgrades. Records date back to purchase by 2nd owner in 1977 (1st user/driver was a lessee). A few pix are attached. Any detailed info anyone wants can be obtained by sending me a 'conversation' post with direct email. I have a summary of the cars history and LOTS of detail pictures. The car body was last addressed in 1994 during the mods to give it a 'euro' appearance, and is still essentially as rust free as an e9 could possibly be that has not been in a hermetically sealed bubble.. The car has probably been driven less that 500 miles since the odometer stopped recording mileage at 75,233, (and, that is the first time around for these numbers!). Less than 16K total miles since the 3.8+ FI engine was installed, along with a rebuilt 265/6 transmission.

As you can imagine, it's not going to be sold 'cheap'!!

I haven't decided what venue to use for sale, maybe BAT, maybe Hemmings or another 'classic' type site. But, I thought I'd make it known so e9 Forum members (or their friends/contacts) who might be interested could have first dibs. I really want an enthusiast to be the next caretaker.

Gary
Gary--I wish you well in the sale of your Coupe. The red with tan interior is a great combination. Still hope to get up there to visit my mom and we go for a ride around Westown school/lake. Offering your car on the forum is a good idea. Bet you have a bunch of spare parts to sell also!

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Nice meeting you and your wife at New Hope yesterday (I had the white 911). Your coupe is beautiful! Good luck with the sale.

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks Len. Again, congratulations to you and to Steve for your new 'ribbons on the wall'. It was a fabulous day, and I got exactly the results I wanted from displaying Lorelei. Don't we wish every August day could be like that one!!

Cheers,

Gary--

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks Gary. Just what I need, another ribbon! Yes, it was a gorgeous day, perfect for showing off the color of your coupe! Enjoy the rest of the Summer!

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Lorelei has been invited to a 'kind of' family reunion' with many of her great-great-great-great grandchildren. The owner of the local BMW dealership (Otto's BMW of West Chester) saw Lorelei last week when I drove her there to pick up some parts. After some discussion about our families and what's happened over the past 35 years, I told him the car was going to be for sale, and that I'd be away for the next 5 weeks ('chatting was necessary, as we hadn't seen each other in that 35 year period, but had interfaced quite a bit in the '70's and early '80's when I had the two e9's and two e'3's - AND Otto's BMW could only afford to have one car on the showroom floor instead of the 100+ they now have on the floor and lot).

He said he'd love to have that car on the showroom floor for new car customers to see what a 45 year old BMW could still look like. So, as of 11 AM this morning, she is ensconced in Otto's showroom along with about a dozen or so of the latest 2019/2020 models. She'll return home on 9/23. So far, none of the "kids" have stuck up their noses or thrown spitballs relating to her 'invasion' of their era. Most of the employees at the dealership had never seen an e9 in person, and I don't think any of them had ever heard about the model's racing success.

For anyone in the area, the owner (Michael Vadasz) would love to have you come browse at his dealership for your new BMW, and I'll vouch for him being a great guy as well as outstanding businessman.

Gary

Last edited:

Tim M

Reaction score
That's Awesome!! Post pictures if you can and thanks for sharing!

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
sorry Gary , i for sure , don't buy anymore "new" BMW's…. my 650i was the last …. they are all the same now, just small, bigger and biggest.
( and the most important reason, with a healthy engine , no more manuals. )

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
sorry Gary , i for sure , don't buy anymore "new" BMW's…. my 650i was the last …. they are all the same now, just small, bigger and biggest.
( and the most important reason, with a healthy engine , no more manuals. )
For daily transport I have gone over to the Dark Side. Leasing. Some great deals, put zero down, gap insurance built in, peace of mind dealing with a rolling chip only the IT guys can service, I am always under warranty, not under water, free maintenance. In the second year of my third, three year lease. If I bought a $35,000. car nine years ago I would break even. Why own a depreciating instrument?

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Fully agree Steve - that's why we've owned 'what used to be just an old car' as it entered it's vintage year - right!!

Tim,
I'm ataching a couple of pix you asked for.

Attachments

• e.0 CS at Otto's 004.JPG
    e.0 CS at Otto's 004.JPG
    245.9 KB · Views: 247
  • e.0 CS at Otto's 005.JPG
    e.0 CS at Otto's 005.JPG
    242.3 KB · Views: 250
  • e.0 CS at Otto's 008.JPG
    e.0 CS at Otto's 008.JPG
    291.5 KB · Views: 238

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
beautiful presentation! Only thing I'd add is maybe at least one side, have both windows (front and rear) down.

Pillarless coupes should show off its virtues!

Tim M

Reaction score
That's just a stunning car Gary! Dealership has to be proud and honored to display it...
Steve C, my son just leased his 1st new car and I purchased his old one (you know the one you buy for them but it's his car,funny how that works) and I'm fixing it up and now he see how cute it is clean and dent free and no payments. o_O

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
That's just a stunning car Gary! Dealership has to be proud and honored to display it...
Steve C, my son just leased his 1st new car and I purchased his old one (you know the one you buy for them but it's his car,funny how that works) and I'm fixing it up and now he see how cute it is clean and dent free and no payments. o_O
Right Tim, and your, once his, old? car will outlive his new lease and cost you less in the long run. Even though you paid for it twice. Yes, funny how that works.

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Fully agree Steve - that's why we've owned 'what used to be just an old car' as it entered it's vintage year - right!!

Tim,
I'm ataching a couple of pix you asked for.

I'm not a red-car person, but this makes me wobbly-kneed.

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Jay,

I have no idea how you can live in OK and not be a fan of 'red'!! (I grew up in NE, and red is the statewide epidermis - but for the past few years it's been because of embarrassment at the Huskers record!) Well, maybe Orange and Black are ok in some parts of OK.

Gary

Last edited:

Manthri Srinath

Reaction score
May I ask about those wheels? Are they 15” 2 piece wheels? They look like polished steel. Is that so?

Oh. Just saw the newer posts. That’s a gorgeous car. Clearly really thoroughly sorted. So nice.