Malaga Coupe

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
hmmm ... wondering when somebody else is going to step up and bid on this wonderful coupe.
In my experience this BaT auction is following the normal pattern. A flurry of bidding in the first 2 days, then few if any until the last 24 hours. At that point, a couple maybe, but no real action until the last 15 minutes or so. Serious bidders have learned that you are only bidding against yourself if you place a bid early. Bidding is not at all like a live auction. This pattern makes all sellers nervous. o_O

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Come on, it’s a nice car. You’re going to love it!
i get that .... its even nicer that when i first saw it and rode in it. i have 2 problems, one ... my wife would kill me, and the divorce would cost a lot more than the coupe. 2, then my painter would never finish my 2800cs

oh, new idea ... its an investment. the stock market is losing money, so i need to park some money in a car. yeah, that's the ticket.

Candia4441

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Doug Park finished taking photos and a driving video today as I will be submitting it to BaT hopefully next week. Since I have the incredibly solid Chamonix coupe I will be letting a new owner enjoy it after 18 years of my ownership. If you know of anyone interested send them my way!

View attachment 146382View attachment 146383

Edit:
It is bad timing there is to many E9 for sale we never had 3 E9 at the same time on BAT

ablank135

Site Donor
Reaction score
It is bad timing there is to many E9 for sale we never had 3 E9 at the same time on BAT
When mine was listed last summer, there were two others. One ended shortly after mine went live. And then as soon as mine was done, another popped up. So I don't think three overlapping is hugely unusual. If you look at their scatter diagram, you can see the bulge last summer: https://bringatrailer.com/bmw/e9/

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The last Bat Coupe that sold was the French no reserve CSi for $78,225 with the premium.

The Silver CS was a Reserve Not Met.

HBChris's Coupe has already surpassed the commission sales price of the other 2 listings.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
completely correct Chris ... the polaris CSi that sold a couple of weeks ago is a better comparison. its a very nice car, but not a great car like the Malaga. in my humble opinion, this coupe should sail past that number.

wkohler

Site Donor
Reaction score
I don’t think this car affected anyone selling or buying a coupe other than perhaps showing them just how much of a disparity there may be between those and this one. I think the only car that could potentially be a threat is the golf CSL but there’s a lot of work to do on that car to get it anywhere near this one from a quality perspective.

Eiremon

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Nervous? Who me? Yep! A bidder came by with his wife to see and drive the coupe. I told him he is part of the perhaps 1% who actually ever contacts a seller. He would be a great caretaker so I hope he bids.

I have sold a few cars on BaT and am always surprised / shocked that in all sales the buyers made ZERO attempts to contact me to discuss cars in advance. You are buying the seller as much as the car - don't you want to at least talk to the person you are about to send a check to? Whether it's $20k or $200k - makes no difference... talk to the owner.

Chris - your car will likely do very well in the final hours. The classic car market has peaked for now but prime examples are still bringing good money.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm starting my search for a non-BMW project soon so I've been checking out all the normal places to find them. Similar to coupes, a project versus a really nice example can be ten times the amount, but seeing really nice examples doesn't matter to me because I have a budget and certain expectations. Maybe a color combo that someone has to have or something particular to their taste might make a difference, but the car's value shouldn't really change when there's other models available.

wkohler

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have sold a few cars on BaT and am always surprised / shocked that in all sales the buyers made ZERO attempts to contact me to discuss cars in advance. You are buying the seller as much as the car - don't you want to at least talk to the person you are about to send a check to? Whether it's $20k or $200k - makes no difference... talk to the owner.
Both the cars I have listed on BaT went to people that either weren't intending on bidding since they thought it would go higher or saw it for the first time in the last 5-10 minutes. The first car, when it was still in the first day of bidding, I had five people ask to see it. By the end of the day, I think the car was bid beyond what they were expecting so in classic form, they never responded to me when I provided the info. At the end of the day, I guess it's still the internet.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i am hopeful that we are only half way there (for Chris' sake). very much agree with your comments Tyson ... although i think its probably 3 to 5 years before we see another coupe that approaches this one (public sale). the other two great coupes (non-CSL) were private sales (OCCoupe + Paul Cain)

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i am hopeful that we are only half way there (for Chris' sake). very much agree with your comments Tyson ... although i think its probably 3 to 5 years before we see another coupe that approaches this one (public sale). the other two great coupes (non-CSL) were private sales (OCCoupe + Paul Cain)
Although Paul's did eventually sell on BaT. Second highest ever only to be outdone by a CSL.