Martini Racing Group 2 Resurrection

floridabmx

Reaction score
72963-mother-of-god-super-troopers-m-wxua.jpeg

wsk

Reaction score
Here's a look inside the trunk. The big aluminum auxiliary tank replicates the original but is really a sham, it hides a modern fuel cell. The fab work was done by John Buddenbaum. The lid stick is Ron's 4 iron which I don't think he'll be needing for the next few weeks...
IMG_1209.jpg

wsk

Reaction score
The suspension and brakes are being put together by Jeff Ireland. Without Jeff's talent, generosity, and hard work there's no way we'd make Monterey! I kept forgetting my phone when I was over there so I don't have pictures at the moment but the suspension is fairly standard- Alpina Bilstein coilovers in front, reinforced stock arms and subframe in back, adjustable pickup points to correct camber and toe (which go out of whack when you lower an E9). The brakes are period original, Lockheed
AP CP2270 4 pot calipers in front (also used in Formula 1 back then), and Ate 2 pots in the rear (as on 911S). Rotors are vented 302 mm front and 282.5 mm rear. I'll take some pictures next week when I get the car back.

wsk

Reaction score
Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it shouldn't be correct... the flywheel and clutch are period parts, and they were REALLY hard to find (as with a lot of the other parts). Gerrit Blankman turned these up. He also provided those lovely original sand-formed Alpina headers and lots of other stuff. Gerrit is a gem!
IMG_1175.jpg
IMG_1184.jpg

wsk

Reaction score
This is an M30 in late Group 2 trim (known as an M52/2). 3.3 liter, 2 valve. Good for 340 HP in period, and that is exactly what this one made. I'm sure you could squeeze lots more out of an S38. My philosophy on historic cars and vintage racing is that the cars should be as true to the way they raced as possible, within the bounds of safety (modern seat, fuel cell and fire systems, etc.). It is easy (and much cheaper) to "upgrade" components but that is not the point. This car will never "win" its race at Monterey against 800 HP Porsches but that is not the point either... (and BTW I also have one of those).

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
We finally got the motor installed Wednesday after much messing about with the clutch (getting the stock actuation mechanism to work with a period Sachs racing clutch). Not easy!View attachment 19346

I would love to learn more about those slide throttles and the injection in general. The Gosser Bat that's for sale has the same setup.

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
i love that clutch 6-17mmm
wwwooooowwwww
yep its perfect to keep the car oem
you have done a true miracle to the bmw marquee
super awesum charlie brown

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The flares and spoiler are Art's handiwork (with the help of Jeff Freeman, who builds McLaren Can Am bodies!).

On the dyno (with Terry, master motor builder, and Jeff, Kugelfischer expert).

The suspension and brakes are being put together by Jeff Ireland.
View attachment 19350

Talk about A team... No wonder it looks so awesome.

DerSchwede

Reaction score
The valve cover with the filling in the back came in September 1975 so period correct would be the earlier valve cover - I think.... please correct me if I'm worng but I know that you are paying a lot attention to the details so just trying to give a hint if I can.

wsk

Reaction score
Thanks, Jeff had pointed that out as well. But the car is being restored to 1979, the final year of Group 2 homologation for CSLs. So we have a bit of flexibility there (as a side note the Group 2 rules changed several times over the years so it takes a careful reading of FIA 1648, the CSL homologation document, to be sure of what is correct at any given point in time!). Interestingly, that valve cover is the one that was on the motor when I bought it in Italy. The motor was complete and extremely original, a forgotten spare from the Finotto/Facetti Jolly Club team.

BuzzBomb

Reaction score
.. the car is being restored to 1979, the final year of Group 2 homologation for CSLs. So we have a bit of flexibility there
I totally agree. I think this car deserves to be more Willi Martini period correct than BMW date of manufacture correct.

BuzzBomb

Reaction score
IMG_1054.jpg

Tii booster in a Coupe? Not a simple task however you choose to do it. I'm pretty happy with the outcome, while also retaining the adjustable length plunger.