My Baby is done... Thanks for all your help!!!!

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Scott,
I recall you wanted the option of going w and sans front bumper depending on your mood.

I needed to remove my front bumper so i could compare it to spare bumper parts. This gave me a chance to asses the difficulty.

My bumper conversion was done my Mario at VSR1, the ‘right’ way.

Once my car was up on a pair of 2x10 ramps, pulling the bumper off took about 10 minutes. I loosened two 13mm nuts, removed 4 bolts, and the whole assembly simply pulled straight off the front. Putting the front bumper assembly back on took almost 30 min, a spritz of lube on the rubber slot grommets, and about a foot of 2” wide masking tape to protect the lower fenders.

I recall your bumpers were installed ‘creatively’ by Benny. I’m not criticizing, just saying if you ever get them put on ‘correctly’ then You’ll be able to remove replace very easily.

John

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
C3C82BF8-FE84-4478-BD29-C2DC23B9BDE1.jpeg

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
You are 100% correct. They did get creative in their installation. Candidly it was very frustrating as you guys gave really good instructions.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Ps Benny has been instrumental in getting my rollbar removed whenever I need it done so that is something but that is for my Porsche

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
John, You have a 74?
Yes, sadly. I assumed you knew this based on my questions about electrical stuff.

But, with the backdated bumpers, the only remaining reason to feel inferior about a ‘74 is the molded carpet set. Well there is the seatbelt light in the dash and the seat belt buzzer and no cubby in the trunk, and .....

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yes, sadly. I assumed you knew this based on my questions about electrical stuff.

But, with the backdated bumpers, the only remaining reason to feel inferior about a ‘74 is the molded carpet set. Well there is the seatbelt light in the dash and the seat belt buzzer and no cubby in the trunk, and .....
I recognized the wider frame rail.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Pics please
Here ya go Scott:

Yes, my spoiler is smashed up, I went to fast down a really steep hill that levels off abruptly (hill behind my house). It was lots of fun catching some air entering the downhill, but E9’s lack ground clearance, and despite Bilstein sport struts and CN springs the front compressed and the spoiler plowed up a fat swath of turf. It’s a testament to VSR1 that the spoiler didn’t break into a zillion pieces.

And yes I still have the chimp-ear turn signals (have Euro lenses at home).

F15D9507-614F-40EF-A76A-21B289C892A3.jpeg

I was out shooting the sh*t with with one of our local legends (he’s a bit shy in front of the camera). He brought me a rare E9 part and I gave him a little unbotanium in exchange.

D00161DE-1A9B-418A-8495-B7D5E21C417E.jpeg

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Here ya go Scott:

Yes, my spoiler is smashed up, I went to fast down a really steep hill that levels off abruptly (hill behind my house). It was lots of fun catching some air entering the downhill, but E9’s lack ground clearance, and despite Bilstein sport struts and CN springs the front compressed and the spoiler plowed up a fat swath of turf. It’s a testament to VSR1 that the spoiler didn’t break into a zillion pieces.

And yes I still have the chimp-ear turn signals (have Euro lenses at home).

View attachment 100341

I was out shooting the sh*t with with one of our local legends (he’s a bit shy in front of the camera). He brought me a rare E9 part and I gave him a little unbotanium in exchange.

View attachment 100342
Thanks for the pictures and the post. I still can’t believe how low the BMW is. Much lower than my Porsche which has also been lowered. I have slammed my air dam several times and done some damage but have not destroyed it. I have done it at low speeds. For kicks, I recently read this thread and the original one just to make sure that I had done everything recommended. It was like walking down memory lane. I must admit that I was showered by some of the comments at the end but it was an overwhelming number of comments that support of the entire process. It was nice to review it after some time has passed. Thank you in particular for your help. Thank yoFor kicks, I recently read this thread and the original one just to make sure that I had done everything recommended. It was like walking down memory lane. I must admit that I was soured by some of the comments at the end but it was an overwhelming number of comments that support of the entire process. It was nice to review it after some time has passed. Thank you in particular for your help.