My Baby is done... Thanks for all your help!!!!

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
If you want Likes then post on Facebook, if you want answers then post here. You didn’t waste any time saying our Forum gave you a lot of crap.

Technically speaking, the forum did give @scottevest a bunch of crap. One might ask themself what were the myriad of reasons why? There is no room for reflection by the OP however.

I’m far more bummed that on camera @scottevest is asking another body shop if Benny did a good job on the restoration. Scott you aren’t doing the small businesses in Ketchum any favors by asking them to publicly comment on the quality of their counterparts work. It must be awkward enough to be part of the Scott Jordan reality show yet they press on for the business. It won’t shoot them in the foot until later.

FWIW, the cracks mentioned in the rear bumper section are where the 1974 bumper shocks go. When he grinds that area out he will find plates that cover your old holes, as seen from one of your first restoration videos posted.

2018:
63918666-66A2-42E6-9108-8C008B404C2E.jpeg

2021:
40AB67C1-81CF-47B7-8278-27758CD6E607.jpeg

FYI - The vertical “crack” below that hole that he is pointing to immediately after this is a factory seam. It is where the tail panel is spot welded to the rear fender, with visible folds on the backside. There is supposed to be a seem there, as seen in the 2018 pic above as well as the Sahara below. Yours was filled during the restoration, as seen in the latest video.
82A4D2F9-5664-42A8-9F75-8EDC1A830FAC.jpeg

It’s a bit unfortunate that you have all of the pre-restoration content available to share, but you are having the body guy grind into recently completed work to perform discovery. Take a moment to capture less new footage and focus on the old.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
This is a sad continuation of what is evidently a cyclical condition. And to make the point, another forum member has taken a great deal of time to document, illustrate, and explain not only model specific - but actual car specific - information. Information that, I suspect, will not make it to the necessary technician - at least not clearly and completely. As I've noted before, falling on deaf ears. Fact is, the OP is back. So the value here is surely known and understood - even while throwing darts.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
@Markos thanks for your input. I really appreciate it. It never occurred to me to look back at the hours of footage. I provided it to the shop and confirmed that they will take it into account. BTW, I sent the video to Benny. Benny was too busy to do this and recommended this shop. The video would not have been posted if Clint said something bad about Benny, obviously. Benny told me to goto Clint after all. It's a small town and everyone knows everyone, and gets along. I still consider Benny a close friend.

I honestly thought by providing my experience in this format could be helpful to others. I was not asking for anything by posting this video. When I mentioned the "group" gave me "crap," it was about not doing a full restoration, I didn't intend to offend anyone, just stating a fact. I was urged initially not do to a refurbishment, but rather to a nuts/bolts frame off. I have thanked members individually and collectively on this forum.

It is clear that select members want to simply attack me. I will not let that deter from the many nice members of this forum, which has proved invaluable to me. Thanks again.

I will be ignoring any negative comments this time around. Been to that rodeo before.

Thanks for the input. I hope everyone is doing well in these difficult times.

Scott

PS: here's my request when I began this new thread, equally relevant today.
1637092138900.png

Last edited:

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Everyone needs to chill out.

Some may find Scott’s style of reality-TV-ish sharing a bit annoying (I fall in that camp), but I believe Scott has sincere intentions for sharing what he believes is useful info for forum members. And don’t we all enjoy posting about progress made on our cars?

I personally find it frustrating the shops Scott has access to are so inept, and that Scott’s best attempts to help them often fail. But even this portion of these posts is useful for those who are also contemplating using unqualified shops for their E9’s … or who think that despite being mechanically inept, can teach shops to become more capable. How many of you guys used a you-tube video to figure out a repair or kludge? This type of inexperts teaching other inexperts is a new and legitimate form of group learning.

Let’s all just sing Kumbaya, and ease up when we see annoying things like posts IN ALL CAPS, or posts that make no sense, or posts which could be construed as critical of the E9 brain-trust here in the forum.

John

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
oh Scott- many of us like you AND your poodles!
what is creating a problem is 2 things..

1.Walking into a room with your video camera rolling without asking for permission is just plain rude. It’s invasive and makes people want to avoid you.

2. Asking on camera for “ Did Benny do a good job?” is toxic in our business
community.

go check your videos- you walked in on me with video going unannounced while I was actually sticking a head on a block by myself on a remote job and peppered me questions. You get your video and I screw up my payroll and rent possibly
Not good Scott.

Go check your video- you hit me with the “Did Benny do a good job?” question. Horribly wrong to do.
FYI- Benny is a stellar guy. I wear a Bennyz Rod Shop jacket every day in my shop, have hired two guys that worked in his shop or affiliated with his shop. Benny is the kind of guy you want to be your best man at your wedding.

suggestions…

Put the video camera down. We hate it.

Quit asking if Benny did a good job. We hate it. We all know he does great work and he did a great job on your car.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Scott, you can save yourself some grief by typing your posts but not immediately sending them. Come back to them in an hour or more, reread carefully, think about how others may/will interpret/understand what you are trying to say. Edit, revise, proofread. Reread once more, press the, "can't ever take it back" send key.

Your sentence, "When I mentioned,(unnecessary comma) the 'group' gave me crap(serious diction-word choice- problem here) it was about not doing a full restoration(the 'group' cannot know what you are thinking, only what you type) I didn't intend to offend anyone, just stating a fact('crap' is not a fact, it's a vague slang word)."

I don't believe, "select members want to simply attack me" to be true. When you lob a Molotov Cocktail of a sentence(my hyperbole) into the mix you will surely get the expected result.

And honestly, there are times when I wish I had taken my advice to you.

Steve O'Neill

PS: I just proofread this for the third time and found two more errors to correct. And there are probably a couple remaining.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Technically speaking, the forum did give @scottevest a bunch of crap. One might ask themself what were the myriad of reasons why?
Markos - having been chided by you in another thread for posting negative, but what I thought might be helpful comments to Scotty, I will refrain from commenting on the substance of what he has posted here.

I am interested in the style of moderating, however, whereby moderators embrace the characterization of constructive criticism as "crap." I had thought that we, as participants here, were to be encouraged to make suggestions we believe to be helpful in addressing topics raised by others. And if there are errors in our suggestions that forum members with more (or better) experience see, they are encouraged to correct the erroneous suggestions, and we are encouraged to learn from those corrections.

But what touchstone guides our behavior here when a participant believes that a reasonable suggestion made in good faith is personally insulting, and rejects our suggestion because their feelings are hurt? And if we are to refrain from continuing to support our reasonable suggestions because of this reaction, won't other readers seeking to learn about similar topics conclude that the suggestions should be discounted? And how do we know in advance that suggestions that to us appear to be reasonable are going to turn into "crap"?

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hey all……relax!
I think it’s time to repost Alan’s wisdom!

“WHATS ALL THIS FRIGIN ENGISH CLAS BULL
KEEP on THE SUBJECT
THIS IS FOR THE COUPE
dont mess up the postings
hello?! no comments needed please
thank you”

:)

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
The priorities in moderation on this forum are to encourage everyone to feel comfortable asking questions and for others to feel comfortable offering answers or suggestions. Most of the opinions and judgements that happen related to this forum never get posted. People watch, read, wonder, and sometimes have to find the courage to participate on a public forum. If it feels like a hostile environment it doesn't work.

My job is to let people learn about each other by what they say and do, until it gets personal and/or unproductive. The line is constantly moving.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Markos - having been chided by you in another thread for posting negative, but what I thought might be helpful comments to Scotty, I will refrain from commenting on the substance of what he has posted here.

I am interested in the style of moderating, however, whereby moderators embrace the characterization of constructive criticism as "crap." I had thought that we, as participants here, were to be encouraged to make suggestions we believe to be helpful in addressing topics raised by others. And if there are errors in our suggestions that forum members with more (or better) experience see, they are encouraged to correct the erroneous suggestions, and we are encouraged to learn from those corrections.

I understand your sentiment, but you are cherry picking responses here. I stand by my observation and would defend Scott’s statement that the forum gave him crap in addition to a plethora of much ignored constructive criticism. Need I remind you that one of our users actually called the shop to complain about his posts and videos? That is a bunch of crap IMO.

It is quite possible that I as a moderator can disagree with someone’s approach on the forum while still defending their behavior. I think it is intrusive and entitled to video shop owners. I don’t like that Scott makes statements on video about his experiences on the forum. However, I agree with Scott’s statement that he didn’t mean any ill harm by said statements. We as owners regularly receive feedback on what we should do with our cars. How they should look, etc.

I also agree with his much repeated observation that this forum as a collective attempts to push members towards full restoration. This recommendation isn’t in the cards for the majority of members, yet we shake our heads at members that elect to do a simple refresh.

Scott didn’t do a “frame off restoration” (as he calls it), yet he has put more miles on his post-refresh car than 95% of the board memebrs. In my opinion, his point that a full restoration wasn’t warranted has only been reinforced over the last three years. So while much of the feedback may have been constructive, his choice to ignore was based on a value proposition and priorities, not ignorance. I don’t believe that this observation of mine is shared by all, and it is reflected in the tone of the posts over the past three years.

Yes his car is back in the shop getting paint work done. It’s there because he drives his car a lot, sun or snow - and someone hit him. Such is life for someone who regularly uses their e9.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
part of belonging to a fun group is the crap we chick at each other from time to time. You should see what I have to put up with from BavBob (in person).

If one’s skin is too thin to handle some crap then one should not partake in Internet groups.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Went to check on MY Baby. They had some issues with their paint booth so slight delay.
Here's the update. As before, I asked Clint's permission if ok to record, and as before he said yes.
He seems to have misplaced the kit that had the tools, and gas tank. I hope my prior video shows it. I will be looking. I am sure it is there. (Update: he called and found it)
Please refrain from any negativity whatsoever this time if you can.
I will just ignore it.
Thanks to those of you who have been helpful and constructive and feel free to continue. As I have said multiple times before, THANKS to this great community for all your help

Last edited:

restart

Reaction score
Need I remind you that one of our users actually called the shop to complain about his posts and videos? That is a bunch of crap IMO.
You’re funny, in a sad kind of way.
How do you say english
I should have called sooner.
Should I have called sooner?

You should probably lock this thread before anything bad happen.