My Baby is done... Thanks for all your help!!!!

Strato102

Site Donor
Reaction score
Well played. I do have a life. It's in my 85 year old mother's basement. I have some cool imitation Navajo rugs that I won't give back to my ex girlfriend hung on a clothesline as a wall. You should check it out.

Your car is done. It looks great. Send it and end it. There are some very talented people contributing here. Their very comprehensive, thorough restorations are on going and of great interest. Their talent is remarkable. Their turn. Do some donuts, have fun!

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
what'd that ceramic coat run you? $600?

I always wondered why that's so expensive. Is it the material costs? I can't imagine labor being much more than a good polishing and buffing.

Last edited:

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
what'd that ceramic coat run you?

I always wondered why that's so expensive. Is it the material costs? I can't imagine labor being much more than a good polishing and buffing.
It cost $600 to apply. But did $320 of buffing beforehand. Benny mentioned the type on the video. I forgot.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
what'd that ceramic coat run you? $600?

Sorry I did not answer your question. I think it is material cost but I am not entirely certain.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Back to Bennyz! Someone rear-ended me. Seems so minor I wasn't even going to do anything. Glad I brought it to Benny. It was much worse than I thought. All covered by insurance.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
I was literally at a stop sign when he hit me, and somehow he claimed it was my fault. Crazy! Insurance is covering it. I honestly didn't notice the damage and almost didn't get his information.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Scott, that’s a shame. I learned the hard way to always get a police report at the scene. Otherwise it turns into a he said she said thing, insurance calls it a no fault, and it counts as a claim with your ins co.

I agree that there’s a quite a bit of damage, but the original panel is fixable. You should request that they minimize the use of body filler and you want the repair to be invisible even when looking inside the trunk. I think Vince is about right, maybe a tad lower at $3k to fix because the shop has a low labor rate.

John

Last edited:

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Scott, that’s a shame. I learned the hard way to always get a police report at the scene. Otherwise it turns into a he said she said thing, insurance calls it a no fault, and it counts as a claim with your ins co.

I agree that there’s a quite a bit of damage, but the original panel is fixable. You should request that they minimize the use of body filler and you want the repair to be invisible even when looking inside the trunk. I think Vince is about right, maybe a tad lower at $3k.l to fix because study shop has a low labor rate.

John
I have confidence that insurance will pay whatever it takes to make it right. I will pass your comments to Benny short of the figure.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Scott, I suggest you get a high mounted and bright LED strip brake light along the top of the rear windscreen for added visibility going forward. One was offered here a few years ago. They are visually invisible till activated. Too bad about the wound.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Scott, I suggest you get a high mounted and bright LED strip brake light along the top of the rear windscreen for added visibility going forward. One was offered here a few years ago. They are visually invisible till activated. Too bad about the wound.
In PA the driver who hits a car from behind, like in your situation Scott, is automatically at fault. Period, end. Planning ahead, if I am in any kind of accident I will not move my car and immediately take dozens of photos. Even if I am at fault. And yes, call the police. And if you live in a city like Philadelphia that has a separate transit police force, here it.s SEPTA, call the PPD. If SEPTA takes control you are out of luck.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
In PA the driver who hits a car from behind, like in your situation Scott, is automatically at fault. Period, end. Planning ahead, if I am in any kind of accident I will not move my car and immediately take dozens of photos. Even if I am at fault. And yes, call the police. And if you live in a city like Philadelphia that has a separate transit police force, here it.s SEPTA, call the PPD. If SEPTA takes control you are out of luck.
Many years ago I hit a deer, common in my part of PA. I didn't see that much when I looked. When the insurance adjuster looked he said, hmmm, look at this, and this, and this and …. Interesting.

Scott, you have taught us a valuable lesson. Thanks.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
that was my understanding too, but you can imagine my SHOCK when the police officer said that if i suddenly stopped, which i did not, as the other guy alleged, that i would be at fault. That made zero sense to me. The insurance person fortunately agreed with me. I didn't take any pictures because i thought i was livestreaming the entire things, as I usually do, but turned out the livestream stopped.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
that was my understanding too, but you can imagine my SHOCK when the police officer said that if i suddenly stopped, which i did not, as the other guy alleged, that i would be at fault. That made zero sense to me. The insurance person fortunately agreed with me. I didn't take any pictures because i thought i was livestreaming the entire things, as I usually do, but turned out the livestream stopped.
What dribble. I "suddenly stop" for a four year old on a tricycle that "suddenly appears" in front of me and I am at fault!!! Maybe the guy was the cop's cousin.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Wish that were true in MA. I was rear ended at a stop sign. Witnesses and photos galore, but the police refused to issue any report indicating fault. Ins. Co said they were doing it as a no-fault. This was the second time I’d been rear ended in 3 years and since both were no-fault my rates went way up. Next time I’m not moving my car regardless of heavy traffic until a cop shows up and documents the scene.

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
In my opinion, if I hit someone who 'suddenly stops', I'm at fault for following too closely, AND careless driving. Try that one on the 'cop and hitter' for size!

Gary-

PS: Oh Yes - also, in my opinion, there is no such thing as an 'accident' involving damage to my car unless a tree falls on it or a meteorite hits it while I'm on the road driving. Any other contact between cars is driver error - mine or the other driver (even in case of a mechanical problem on the car, as that represents a lack of maintenance on my or the other driver's part).

Gary