my NOS hirschmann antenna

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Speaker location is OK in the parcel shelf. Stan has speakers under his parcel shelf and covered the parcel shelf with speaker cloth to hide the speakers. It looks great.

A PO put speakers on Athena's parcel shelf and front kick panels. When I bought the car they were shot so I replaced the speakers and mounted the new 6x9s under the parcel shelf to maintain the old covers. Also use the speaker on the dash, so I'm running a 5 speaker system with a 1973 Blaupunkt Frankfurt.

I'd run speakers in the kick panels under the back seat but Athena's a CSi and the ECU and relays are under the passenger seat, making that a bad location for them.

In my 2002, Vern, there are 6x9s in the kick panel under the rear seat and 4x4s under the dash with an amp in the trunk.

Attachments

• Athena Radio.jpg
    Athena Radio.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 160

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The Becker dealer intallation document shows intallation of the speakers to be both in the parcel shelf and the kick panels with a fader switch. This is how mine was installed.

If only 2 speakers then the rear parcel shelf was typically used. Mono was the center speaker. Some have gone custom and put them under the rear seats facing forward in that small vertical metal section. Some have done the unholy and mounted them in the doors. :)

I am not wild about having the kick panel speakers because I'd prefer just the clean panel, but they do make it sound better than just the parcel shelf ones and it's what came from the dealer so I'm keeping them.

Andrew, how did you wire the 5th speaker?

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Andrew, how did you wire the 5th speaker?

I tapped into the front speaker wires, one from the left channel and one from the right. I did the same thing with Vern's mono speaker that's under the radio in his center console.

That way I get the full range, it is a mid range speaker so it helps with filling in the treble on the front.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
my choice

being not only a mono, but a single output the question is the impedance that the radio admits, and the fact that those days the speakers were 8 Ohms, and nowadays are 4 Ohms means an additional difficulty

so a series connection is the answer

i will place a central dash speaker, and another one in the rear shelf, only one

so, positive of the radio to positive of dash speaker,
negative of dash speaker to positive rear speaker
negative rear speaker to negative of the radio

this way 4+4=8Ohm

done !

some literature
http://www.bcae1.com/spkrmlti.htm

Last edited:

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My recent research into getting new speakers for my old Becker is that the original speakers were 4 ohm, not 8 ohm. Confirmed with a multimeter. I suspect the original mono speaker for your radio was 4 ohm unless Blaupunkt was different.

my choice

being not only a mono, but a single output the question is the impedance that the radio admits, and the fact that those days the speakers were 8 Ohms, and nowadays are 4 Ohms means an additional difficulty

so a series connection is the answer

i will place a central dash speaker, and another one in the rear shelf, only one

so, positive of the radio to positive of dash speaker,
negative of dash speaker to positive rear speaker
negative rear speaker to negative of the radio

this way 4+4=8Ohm

done !

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
some help, opinions please ¿?

i would like to know which is the best place for the rear sepaker grilles

blaupunkt grilles

two alternatives,

centered in the back of each seat

or a bit to the left

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Mine are centered behind the seats and centered to the rear window. The car is still in the shop or I'd take a picture.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Mine's apart also but here is where the NYC dealership (Hoffman?) put it in '72:

IMG_1383.JPG

And the Becker instructions (although yours is Blaupunkt but fyi) have the center of the speaker 175mm from the outside edge and 100mm from the front (back seat) edge.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Opinion

Hi de Q, I vote for the small speakers, one on each side nothing in the middle, just like the top picture. They are discrete and tasteful and not over-the-top and the like. Regarding sound quality, I like driving and listening to tunes but I think your set up with a front speaker and two in the rear will provide a lovely sound and not look "pimpish". Again, just my opinion.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
thank you all for help and ideas, very useful, anyway speaker´s grilles will still wait a bit until DPD throws a box in front of my door next week, ....???? the box contains some interesting bits,...

move on with this one, will install a balancer to manage front and rear speakers sets, need a place for it, and the glovebox seems to have an ideal place available

a funny mockup, i need to make a holder:

this is it, a speaker´s balancer:

not have it yet, is in the box that is coming from germany,...

cardboard is not the proper material for the holder, so lets play with aluminium,...

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
finishing the balancer

finally i decided to cover it with this, and prepared a plate and vynil decals

it fits pretty well

still need to connect all the cables

Last edited:

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
i found period correct grilles from blaupunkt, the letters are the same as those of the radio fascia

and installed them, the position is due to the available space, i would have loved to place them centered on the seat back, but,...

Last edited:

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I retrofitted my original Becker speaker grills with modern speakers. New (4x8") and 43 year old original (3.5x8.25"):
IMG_1432.JPG

Installed from underneath so the tweeter can clear:
IMG_1436.JPG

Original grills covering stealth upgrade:
IMG_1438.JPG

Also doing front kickpanel speaker retrofit:
IMG_1435.JPG

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have 2 speakers on the parcel shelf and 2 in the kick panels, and a tape player in the glove box installed by the dealer for the first owner, all Becker. Becker Europa stereo. My kick speakes are 4x6 but are mounted in the same location as stated in the dealer install sheet:

Kick-Speaker.jpg

IMG-20120904-00614.jpg

nice Steve,

can you please post pics of the kickpanel installation área, where to fix speakers, and so on,...

how many speakers do you have in total ? do you keep one in the dash hole ?
how are they installed ? parallell/series ?

regards

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Steve,

this is very helpful information - thanks for sharing. i was trying to figure out how to locate the opening to mount new speakers at this locaiton.