My vintage VGS air collector box project

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
really curious how well the 'snake' hose is going to work between the plenum and the csi airbox. i wonder if the elbows to the L-jet or motronic airbox would work

1603589372900.png

i have a used one that i can send you if you want to try it. what are the dimensions of the openings?

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It's 80mm at the CSi box and an elipse at the carb airbox but circumference = 80mm. I'd need to splice 2 elbows together and am not sure it would make much difference. I'll report when all hooked up, thanks for the offer though. SInce it's 80mm going to 70mm to the front and my engine is not a fire breather, I suspect it will be ok.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i was worried more about how the hose / tubing would look over time. since the engine will move and the csi airbox will remain stationary ... it will probably try to kink.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I'm hoping the coiled/corrugated feature will have enough flexibilty to account for engine movement. The 70mm piece seems to flex enough.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Finished for now. The 80mm clamps I got are too small, not needed anyway because the tube fits on very tightly between the air collector and the filter box. It's more like 82mm. If I find some suitable yellow zinc screw type clamps I'll put them on, otherwise I'm going to drive as is. Thanks again to Keshav and other members for advice!

IMG_7650.jpg

IMG_7646.jpg

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I bet if you molded a black silicone hose you could support the airbox entirely by the hose. The setup that @Stevehose put in place looks good though!

Last edited:

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
that looks great Steve, ... well done !!! the bend doesn't looks as severe as i thought it would be. my guess is that over time, you might need the clamps.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
@Stevehose,

Take a look at the parts book for the factory AC parts. The AC drier is close to 80mm and uses a clamp. You could borrow that clamp since it's no longer visible. I also have a bag of large factory clamps. If you are interested in one I can dig through it. They are all filthy so I can't say with confidence how nice the zinc looks, but they should be yellow.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks, will do, appreciate it.

@Stevehose,

Take a look at the parts book for the factory AC parts. The AC drier is close to 80mm and uses a clamp. You could borrow that clamp since it's no longer visible. I also have a bag of large factory clamps. If you are interested in one I can dig through it. They are all filthy so I can't say with confidence how nice the zinc looks, but they should be yellow.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Let us know what carb adjustments, if any, were necessitated by the VGS intake system.

Yes, while the look is interesting, I am most interested in what this does to engine performance. And, whether any improvement is more pronounced as we get into Spring and especially Summer.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Gotta admit, it looks cool and I hope it doesn’t slow me down too much on the way to Starbucks. initial impressions are it’s running a little leaner at speed. could be the dry weather. Might bump up the idle jet bore a hair.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Just noticed this thread. What a Great forum effort. Congratulations Steve on such an interesting setup. Looks very well thought out.