My vintage VGS air collector box project

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
It should eliminate any fan turbulence with an evenly distributed air intake for balancing and syncing the carbs which Steve takes very seriously.

I was thinking about the temperature difference underhood v behind the right front headlight, but yeah I've noticed the fan turbulence at the front of the first carb. I'd probably have to go to an Alpina setup to address that in my car.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
All finished, installed the yellow zinc clamps for the final touch. I have noticed a definitive leaning of mixture with the cold air coming in so I reduced the size of the idle jet air bleeds to richen up the mixture some. Runs great, the only downside is slightly less induction noise which I miss but you can't have it all :D Also, the Mahle air filter is the way to go, much better made and quality than the Purolator.

IMG_7677 copy.jpg

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
for something that looks that unique and amazing ... a little loss in intake music is acceptable. very well done !!!

zinz

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
All finished, installed the yellow zinc clamps for the final touch.

That is the cat's meow... so cool. Even the screws on the clamps are aligned! However, the wing nuts on the jet covers are not... that's a deduct :D

Ed Z
...who's car is nowhere near as fine as Steve's

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hah I knew you'd notice those, I can't get the 3rd wing nut to line up without being too tight or loose! I'm working on a solution :cool:

That is the cat's meow... so cool. Even the screws on the clamps are aligned! However, the wing nuts on the jet covers are not... that's a deduct :D

Ed Z
...who's car is nowhere near as fine as Steve's

Last edited:

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Heard back from VGS today, it seems they don't have much in the form of records but I appreciate them taking the time to look, the earliest they have are these from 1977 and a 5 series BMW. Still pretty cool, these are the TUV drawings and specs, the first page shows the model Weber (DCOE40 82/83 or alternatively 106/107), the jetting used (very cool) and air filter and box type (1256362 - the CSi box). The other pics show the manifold and airbox drawings, and some photos.

2.JPG

13.JPG

14.JPG

16.JPG

Last edited:

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The VGS & Purolator logos are interesting, they're not cast into mine maybe that came later.