My vintage VGS air collector box project

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Ok, wait a minute. You did all that and didn't polish up the brass expansion tank?

Pinstripe inc.

Reaction score
Ok, wait a minute. You did all that and didn't polish up the brass expansion tank?
Love the brass tank. It will be first project in spring cleaning.
E9A90743-85C7-4D28-A148-1CB8D858F34A.jpeg

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Last edited:

TernandoFoledo

Reaction score
Hello lovely people!

I'm a new member here, owner of 2 70's E12s, one of which is a restomod, and the other is the subject of this 'post revival'.

I've got my hands on a original VGS project from germany (as its been said...), but I would love to hear a bit more about these mods that were made back in the day, and try to track a little bit more info on the car.

Its a 78 520 originally, but people say that the car was converted to a "performance 2.7L M20 with triple Weber setup". Its true that the car has the vgs kit, at least the intake and air thingys (the air box is different, its black, round and has the VGS written on it as well).

The part that bugs me is the "2.7L M20 performance engine".
As far as I know, the 2.7 is an ecconomic version of the M20, with low hp and high torque.

But I couldnt find one single info about which mods they dis back in the day, or how I can check if its a true "VGS full project".

Does anyone here has any info to share?

I will attach a few photos of her and a video to try to illustrate, but it is still at the shop that I bought it, since the engine had a compression issue and they are fixing it before i get her.

Any info is more than welcome :)

Attachments

• IMG-20211118-WA0005.jpg
    IMG-20211118-WA0005.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG-20211118-WA0007.jpg
    IMG-20211118-WA0007.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 123

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
Steve, i just have my doubts that a "tuning" set as that intake for triples just happen to clear everything oem.... as if it was designed/sold to be plug&play.
Do you have any dyno numbers ?
I just wonder if that intake compensates the short intake runners.... proof is either only 240 or .....the oem 300 NM torque.

I stay at my dead horse.... most are carry away with the triple noise , but don't want to feel the big loss in torque.......

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hello lovely people!

I'm a new member here, owner of 2 70's E12s, one of which is a restomod, and the other is the subject of this 'post revival'.

I've got my hands on a original VGS project from germany (as its been said...), but I would love to hear a bit more about these mods that were made back in the day, and try to track a little bit more info on the car.

Its a 78 520 originally, but people say that the car was converted to a "performance 2.7L M20 with triple Weber setup". Its true that the car has the vgs kit, at least the intake and air thingys (the air box is different, its black, round and has the VGS written on it as well).

The part that bugs me is the "2.7L M20 performance engine".
As far as I know, the 2.7 is an ecconomic version of the M20, with low hp and high torque.

But I couldnt find one single info about which mods they dis back in the day, or how I can check if its a true "VGS full project".

Does anyone here has any info to share?

I will attach a few photos of her and a video to try to illustrate, but it is still at the shop that I bought it, since the engine had a compression issue and they are fixing it before i get her.

Any info is more than welcome :)
Very cool, unfortunately VGS doesn't have much if any info from back then, I believe the company at some point went into bankruptcy and resold and things were lost.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Steve, i just have my doubts that a "tuning" set as that intake for triples just happen to clear everything oem.... as if it was designed/sold to be plug&play.
Do you have any dyno numbers ?
I just wonder if that intake compensates the short intake runners.... proof is either only 240 or .....the oem 300 NM torque.

I stay at my dead horse.... most are carry away with the triple noise , but don't want to feel the big loss in torque.......
Sorry I have no proof of performance difference, only that it looks cool :cool:

TernandoFoledo

Reaction score
Very cool, unfortunately VGS doesn't have much if any info from back then, I believe the company at some point went into bankruptcy and resold and things were lost.
Yeah, i thought something around that should've happen. I made contact with their head of mechanics and hope that he has some info. If I find anything, will post here as well!

So far what i figured out is that they had the intake kit, or the full package, with a M20 2.5 swap.

Now I have to figure out what engine I have, since the last owner says the block has a 2.7 writen.

boonies

Boonies
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I contacted VGS within the last year. They did respond, saying that the molds were lost and referring me to Diblas for their products. I did find a unit in Germany and @Stevehose was kind enough to share some knowledge about the unit and its condition. In this case the price was too high and the unit in too poor a condition (incomplete and some broken parts) to pursue.

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score

TomHom

Site Donor
Reaction score
Well, I met him the other day and he told me that he, since getting older, wants to clean up his house and to get rid of all car parts, mostly E10 parts.
He offered me this Weber Vergaser, I told him I was short of money, sorry.
He didn't tell me when he bought it but that it never has been installed.
So what about the value??
Assuming that it had been stored about 20 years. You see slight erosion marks on the surface, rubber sealings and tubes may have hardened. But more or less it's like new, tuned, certified and set aside.
So what is a realistic price?

mmccusername

Reaction score
If the carbs are 'tuned' but have been sitting 20 years, I think it's safe to say they will have to be rebuilt. I bought a VGS intake manifold for $700 a few years ago. The airbox is the super rare piece. It's also pick-up only, which is a problem for most of us.