New E9 owner all the way from the UK - How doo! :)

o

Reaction score
Just had an update from the garage - two window motors needed as well as a wiper motor. They have some good used one's available so i'll check those out before finding new ones.

I'm off to the states now so hopefully it'll all be done by the time I get back in two weeks - exciting stuff!

o :)

dj_efk

Reaction score
Hi Owen,

I need a pair of window motors, new or used. Do you know where I can get some in the UK or Europe?

Thanks

61porsche

Reaction score
Window motor

Try for used e28 rear only motors. Popular upgrade/ source and fast too!:-D

giannicsl

Reaction score
eletric rear window motor

Hi, I have to sell the rear of my e9 .... they are still good and fairly quick hello ..

dj_efk

Reaction score
Whoops should have said I need them for the fronts - Take it the E28 rears will work in this application?

61porsche

Reaction score
Orientation of W. Motors

Please be mindful of the gearbox orientation and mounting.

For example: a right front motor can be used on the left rear.

Only the rears from an E28 are known suitable substitutes. Therefore, a right rear would equal a left front. Some have reported it necessary to dremmel the opening slightly so the gearbox sits within the original orientation and the covering panel is in plane. The only other item of mention are that these motors are "one wire" operated. This means the console switch/ wires have to be oriented to that operation- nothing major though;just requires a little thought. I have both styles of motors and switches and the topic has been covered here and elsewhere.

Early Mercedes of the period are known to have used the same "tuna can" motors and occasionally show up as an alternate. '65 era.

On a final note, it is best to directly jump the motor with power and test for operation as many times it is something else.

o

Reaction score
Hey all,

I've spoken to the garage a few times this week and i'm delighted to say that the car is nearing completion!

The floor repairs are being completed within the next few days and i'm currently picking out the carpet set - Its all very exciting and very expensive, but then eating's overrated anyway...

dj_efk

Reaction score
Nice one Owen, my car too is nearly finished!

I'm now at the delightful stage of picking out a stereo setup, finding the last few odds and sods (Walloth and Nesch are absolutely brilliant - They have so many obscure little bits in stock!)

I'm supposed to be going to the South of France in it in 5 weeks so wish me luck!

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
Trip to South of France

Suggestion--that you carefully roadtest your "new ride" a couple of weeks beforeb your trip as "Murphy's Law" almost always raises his hairy head if road test and planned trip are parallel undertakings.

JMHO based on many trips in these great cars--they are very reliable--once sorted!

Last edited:

o

Reaction score
Hey DJ!

Great to heara your taking her on a proper trip - will do here the world of good i'm sure and i'm totally agreed with that Wallaugumh, whatever it's called, place for bits - I will be getting some chrome interior door handle bits from there shortly.

Have a great trip and please take some picture for us!!

o

dj_efk

Reaction score
Blumax,

You mean the Law of the Sod? :)

Yes I agree - I'm planning on doing a few hundred miles first. I've also decided to replace all the hydraulic cylinders on the clutch and brakes, including the masters...

Pics to follow!

o

Reaction score
Hey all,

Went to see the CSI this weekend in it's final weeks of the resto and also dropped off some parts for it i've sourced - its looking great!

IMG_0029.jpg

IMG_0022.jpg

IMG_0023.jpg

IMG_0028.jpg

The rear screen is out for the new headliner thats going in next week. The rear floors are in and looking nice and tidy. The floors will get a repaint before the carpets go in.

IMG_0024.jpg

Will all be done within the next 3 weeks - many comments welcome (So excited!!)

o

Reaction score
Hey all,

Looks like my CSi will be ready for collection next week!! Headlining and rear screen going in on Tuesday then its just a case of doing a tune-up and leak test!

Can't wait!

o

Reaction score
Hey all,

I spoke too soon - car now being collected Monday due to a hole being found in the heater box and a pair of knackered rear arm rests *Sigh*

dj_efk

Reaction score
Hi Owen,

Looks like our cars are going to be ready bang on the same time - Mine's going to be ready for collection on Wednesday IF I can source a drivers rear window motor as mine's dead!! Don't suppose you'd happen to have one would you?

Thanks

Dave

Simufly

Reaction score
e9 info

bi intrested in the seats. Have you had them retrimmed if so who did it and did they do a good job?

o

Reaction score
She's ready!

Hey all,

Saturday was a big day for me as my car was finally ready for collection. Its been a long three months waiting for it but its been worth it (by some margin).

The garage ended up spendinga lot more time, as is often the case the further they got into it the more they found needing sorting. I wanted the car to be spot-on without going the full-on concourse route and i'm delighted that it's been achieved. I arrived at the garage to find this waiting for me - I am a happy guy :D

IMG_0136.jpg

IMG_0140.jpg

New carpets, steering wheel and refurbished dashboard
IMG_0143.jpg

The new original spec headliner really helps to brighten up the interior
IMG_0148.jpg

The interior looks just as good as the outside and I love the fact that it simply looks and feels like new - the carpets and headlining really make it and i'd recommend to anyone thinking of doing it to do so. All the windows and sunroof work as they should now (albeit slowly, just like new!) and various trim items have been replaced including arm rests, wooden side panels, centre console, rubber trims, you name it.

I was all set to drive it back but due to a last minute hitch with collapsed front brake pipes I took a CR-V and trailer to go get it. The car drives brilliantly, especially now it's had everything checked out and fettled. They even managed the fixed the wobble speedo needle! :)

IMG_0150.jpg

IMG_0155.jpg

IMG_0146.jpg

I have ordered up a new set of brake pipes and a couple of items to finish the interior.

Its been a long and hard project that's nearing its end - i've owned over 35 cars in my few driving years and this project has been by far the most satisfying (and longest, not to mention costly)

Sim - Believe it or not, seats are original's in great condition

Dj - send us some pics quick! Can't wait to see it. Little Compton garage may have a used motor in stock, give them a buzz.

Comments very welcome all - it's virtually bankrupted me so any props would be good.

Last edited:

JhwShark

Reaction score
Looks brilliant!

Owen,

I really like how far you have come...sharp looking, get the brakes fixed and take the beast out for a roll on the motorway!
Cheers,
Jon