New to forum and "on the hunt"

Waldfester

Reaction score
Hi there,
I recently moved from NYC to Palo Alto and now have the opportunity to realize a little dream: owning a BMW 3.0 cs (after all I am German ;)). BTW: Was Bertone the designing company - it resembles quite a bit the Alfas (I know the 3200CS from the early 60s was)?

In any case, I was hoping to solicit your help in finding a nice, reasonably priced (not 40k) specimen. Unfortunately I just missed the nice black/tan one from SF by a day or so - its on its way to a collector in San Diego.

I will keep checking the forum - any other good links/ideas?

Thanks all!
frank

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Welcome Frank to the area and the board. I recall the E9 had Bertone heritage as a concept but was massaged by the BMW designers and changes were made for engineering and manufacturability reasons, also probably to reflect their own taste.

We have Randy here embarked on a monumental West Coast perfect-E9-search for himself. You can catch a free ride and maybe purchase one of the specimens he discards. The breadcrumbs he is leaving behind can feed a family of four...

I can suggest a good mechanic for the inspection and service of your prospective coupe.

jranmann

Banned
Reaction score
free ride?...Tasty bread crumbs are the holy grail of all things e9 and it all depends (as we know too well) on the amount and quality of the 'bread' crumbled!

What 45,100 lightly seasoned (yet not stale) croutons won't buy... http://bringatrailer.com/2009/01/19/straightest-e9-body-1973-bmw-30cs-hot-rod/

Send me a PM Frank and I will fill you in on what i've run across recently to suss out your taste and wishes, as being half German myself I am as picky as some Italians with the 'angst' that goes along with that process...esp. with these cars. Rest assured my search includes the USA and the UK (as they got lots) and other LHD countries outside the European Union.

btw Welcome to California...did Governor "I'll be back, Conan Barbarious " charge an 'entry' fee at the border, or have they given up that practice recently?

:mrgreen:

Ran

Last edited:

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
Terry Conner's CSI is 2263929 on the registry, just to clarify. His email is on there, the car is in Woodside.
Portola Valley Garage is a reputable place to get a PPI done.
I used to live on Alma St in Palo Alto, but have resided in the flat hot southeast for many years now. Enjoy those roads! Skyline Blvd, Page Mill, and 84 over to the coast. Watch out for cyclists though (I used to be one of them).

Waldfester

Reaction score
I sent Terry an email over the weekend and he mentioned that his ride is sold to a guy from the East Coast. He is currently building a polaris coupe - "really nice 74 Euro CS with a M90 3.7 stroker engine with all the goodies in it." Seemed out of my price range!?

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
Coupeguy.com has a nice green one for sale in Colorado. He (Dan) is on this forum. He has a guy who will ship the car to you, or you can drive it back.
Scott