Newbie - Project begins

The Don

Reaction score
Thanks Joe, :-D

John has sorted me the retaining collar for the clutch slave cylinder.

Core plug sorted and engine running. Front screen has to come back out to refit rubber again so it seats properly in the corners. Need to find another rear chrome panel (between tail lights) as we cannot find the original.

Once re-done, door glass and front seats are in, we ought to meet up to test it out.

NB - Sold the E30 325 Sport but picked up a E30 325 Baur with air con and cruise control soon after.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
The rs. Need to find another rear chrome panel (between tail lights) as we cannot find the original. after.[/QUOTE said:
nice car, goodvprogress

new door rubbers are a problem, everybody says the do not fit well, ...

i ihave a rear panel for sale, it includes the hole and the rear fog light too

The Don

Reaction score
Hi deQuincey,

If you are talking about part number 51 131 812 919 then please pm me with price and your Paypal details.

Thanks Andrew

The Don

Reaction score
Today's progress

Today the bonnet/hood was replaced

and then the front spoiler was attached

Now to get all the little bits of trim together to finally complete

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
Great work! For the window - check what make window it is - even new BMW ones are known to be a problem rather than the seal itself. I have a pilkington one and it doesnt fit well.

The Don

Reaction score
Thanks 30csl,

Had to get a replacement front screen from Pete & Fay at Jaymic - long drive from Solihull to Cromer, Norwich but worth it, as screen went in without a hitch. On measuring both, the new one was very slightly smaller than the one from the donor car.

Front bumper is now on - what a difference the chrome makes!!

I took a tip from Mr Bump (Joe) and got some fog lamps for the front spoiler/airdam and these are now in

and the rear is now finished after de Quincey sorted me out with the rear chrome panel. [Just a note - deQ is a Top Man. He sent the parcel with no fuss and very quickly indeed - thanks]

It is now the small things that is burning a lot of time. For example, I bought the exact size belt as the old alternator belt thinking it would take minutes to refit and it will not stretch over the pulleys. :rolleyes:

Now my local parts shop has had to order the next size up and it will not arrive until Tuesday :cry:

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
It is now the small things that is burning a lot of time. For example, I bought the exact size belt as the old alternator belt thinking it would take minutes to refit and it will not stretch over the pulleys. :rolleyes:

Now my local parts shop has had to order the next size up and it will not arrive until Tuesday :cry:

hi the don,

thank you for your kind words, it was a pleasure to do this for you

just a word of caution, i had not been able to check the reason for this, but as to the alternator belt, i was in the same situation, the belt that was supposed to fit was too small, and the next size was too big to adjust it,

i have no explanation, other than that i changed my alternator and i didnt kept the old pulley ?

now it comes the situation, automotive belts i found to have 20mm increments, and what it was needed was half of that, apparently no solution, but, yes, i ended up with a industrial belt that has a size exactly in the middle of the two available automotive sizes, and prolem solved !

i can get the reference for you if you finally need it

BTW, beautiful coupe !

arnie

Reaction score
Don,

nice car, but looking to the picture with the rear end of it, I'm now pretty curious if I or you need to mount the bumper horns different ways. To me it looks like you were missmatching left and right sides. In addition I'm missing the rubber profiles between the horn and the body and probably also between the horn and the bumper ?!?

I hate to tell you, but I hope your method to attach the horns is wrong.

Would safe me from additional work on my car ;-)

cheers

Ingo

PS: integrated lights into the airdam holes is a great idea, thumbs up !
I'd probably would move them a bit backwards

The Don

Reaction score
Thanks for your comments on the progress of the car, much appreciated.

Here is a picture of it on the ground

and to arnie and all those that saw my deliberate mistake with the underriders :oops: I have gone back to school to learn my Left from my Right! :lol:

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hmm i'd definitely prefer period lights on the bumper and scat hose on the air dam holes cooling the brakes as you go get the unday times :)

I love that colour and great resto! You put a lot of us to shame in terms of time taken!

The Don

Reaction score
Been a while since I posted any updates.

Since my father passed away on 9th August, not done anything to the car until this weekend.

Car runs, drives and stops so now have to put all of the chrome and interior trim back together.

Still some progress has been made

Front recaros are in. Also new retro radio with ipod connection so can listen to my own choice of 70s and 80s music :grin:

Chrome being put back

Now got to try and remember how I got the window regulators out of the doors as the space seems too small to get them back in :oops: