Original factory leather CSL 38cm Petri and hub for sale

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yes Bert, I also don't think there is such a thing as a Scirocco Petri and an E9 Petri (unless one has a record of what car the wheel was originally on). The E9 hub is different of course, but for the wheel itself; spokes, foam grip, stamping is identical. So it's hard to distinguish/basically impossible what car the actual Petri wheel came off unless owner has the historic knowledge. Also the 'VW' Petri wheel was quite rare because came on Scirocco Mk 1 S mainly, so I don't think Petri would have made a special version just for the Scirocco Mk1 S?

I’ll venture to guess as the productions of the E3/E9, 2002 were winding down in the mid 70’s, Petri still had a decent inventory of of the fabled BMW drilled wheels. With the introduction of the VW Scirocco around this same period, Petri adroitly offered VW this same wheel for the scirocco’s sport models. But then again, I could be completely off base. :confused:

As pretty as the Petris are, they probably did not fit the “modern” cabin of the 3, 5, 6, and 7 series cars of the late 70’s style wise. Most the BMWs of this period started sporting rubber clad steering wheels with no exposed alloy spokes, a trend that (for better or worse) has lasted to the present day.

Last edited:

Boobouna

Reaction score
With no one source of the truth I can see many of us will be having headaches for years to come. Even Bmw probably can’t explain it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
i have seen some differences in the foam on the spokes. there are some that have a 'squarer' foam tube on the spoke ... and there are others that have a taper that is reverse to the spoke. i have heard some people say that the reverse taper was VW and the squarer version was BMW. i do NOT know for sure

I thought that also, but I was wrong. Not only did someone more knowledgeable than I tell me I was wrong, I researched it (because I am stubborn).

RealOEM BMW 38cmwith reverse taper spokes:
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=ST12-USA-07-1973-114-BMW-2002&diagId=32_0980

VW Scirocco Ad with square ends:
78E9E003-A92F-4315-91F7-94E57161BE96.jpeg

BMW 2002 Ad with square ends:
4E790551-D6F2-461C-A6A8-6691C0C9CFD5.jpeg

JohnP_02

Reaction score
And just to make Marks head hurt more there is think and thin grips! Both flat 38cm Petri’s! I also had one with no markings on the back and no welded ring. Just a lot of variations I think my friends!

38F56830-365A-4160-AAF2-3A59E4FDD337.jpeg

Strato102

Site Donor
Reaction score
The CSL wheel has a harder stiffer core than the rest. The foam wheels have a really soft and squishy feel to them. Also, believe all the foam grip wheels have centre rings spot welded to the spokes. The CSL wheel does not have this ring to the best of my knowledge.

Strato102

Site Donor
Reaction score
"The CSL wheel has a harder stiffer core than the rest. The foam wheels have a really soft and squishy feel to them. Also, believe all the foam grip wheels have centre rings spot welded to the spokes. The CSL wheel does not have this ring to the best of my knowledge."

I think the foam covers degrade and loosen up and get squishy. Non leather, NOS foam wheels that have been stored "dry and dark" are very firm and not squishy at all. The elusive Petri logo is still around because Petri is as well! Not entirely sure that this item has added value because of the Petri logo:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2004-BMW-7...%3Ae8576a731600aa66e2ef9bb8ffdce2b9%7Ciid%3A1

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i have had 2 40cm petri wheels, i know my first one did NOT have the welded ring. i haven't looked at my 38 or my other 40 to find out. all of the petris that i have had the size on all spokes and a logo. not sure if all had the same logo

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
0D381BCF-9796-4D39-9E4B-AABC26770E7C.jpeg

Ring on 40 foam, ring on 38 foam, and no ring on 38 leather CSL wheel.

4431CB3B-F19E-4076-BBEF-094ADEDD5F9F.jpeg

This is what the CSL Petri ought to look like. This wheel was sold by a forum member a while back.

The tapered and squared spoke knubs have perplexed me too. Seems like they were manufactured as the “flavor of the week”, with no consistent pattern. Some were tapered and some squared.

The original factory sewn CSL wheel is kind of in between. Not squared, but not as tapered as the foam wheel. Also, the original CSL Petris have their leather trimmed ends (about 1/8”), that are glued onto the spokes, kind of like the MOMO wheels. My CSL Petri was recovered with new leather prior to my purchase, but not to the original style. Id like to recover it again to the original look and stitching pattern.

Wladek

Reaction score
Ok Guys, i surrender:eek:. After Markos photo of Japanese Scirocco - i got nothing to sayo_O. Or, maybe just one thing - only CSL wheel is different, all proper CSL i saw had cubic shape foam finish on the ends of the spokes, like on Berts last photo:confused:.

kwyjibo

Site Donor
Reaction score
Just adding fuel to the fire....
I'm surprised that nobody has brought up the different grip contours. The foam grips were made to mimic different stitching patterns. You can see a pronounced lip on the one pictured in Scott's 40cm photo that is supposed to be a parallel stitch ( I should add that the only ones that I've seen like this were all 40cm). In some of the other photos you can see a cross-stitch pattern that is more familiar on BMWs. I've directly compared a few 38s and the grips all felt different: flat vs rounded inner surface, thick vs thin (as John has shown), etc. The differences did not appear to be the result of wear or aging.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I gave away one of these on a parts car CS 25 years ago. Baaah! And that's the extent of my knowledge.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
The one thing I tell people is that these wheels (CSL excluded) are far from rare. Collectible and rare are two separate things. Beanie Babies were collectible and had a huge surplus. Of course the market flopped and I lost everything! Okay perhaps not...

Hubs are a pain in the ass to find. Buy a complete wheel or you will nickel and dime your way back up to $1K+ with a bastard wheel that took months or years to put together. At the same time, don’t jump on the first opportunistically priced wheel that you find. On any given day, there are at least 10 for sale.

Hubs, horn trim rings, and hub covers are reproduced. Some of these parts are for sale publicly and some are not. Others will be available by this summer or so. It is expensive to reproduce parts as I have learned, so one should expect repro parts to be a bargain.

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Well said! Patience will get one the right wheel as the early bird caught the .......

To back up your logic, (thanks to Stevehose), I found a csl leather Petri last year for an amount, bordering on day light robbery.

So yes, they are still good ones out there and constant looking will be rewarded.

nosmonkey

In Rust We Trust
Site Donor
Reaction score
The one thing I tell people is that these wheels (CSL excluded) are far from rare. Collectible and rare are two separate things. Beanie Babies were collectible and had a huge surplus. Of coarse the market flopped and I lost everything! Okay perhaps not...

Spot on. Rare and desirable are not always linked together.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I found a csl leather Petri last year for an amount, bordering on day light robbery.
with that thought in mind, the value of a CSL Petri might exceed the value of a complete CS (okay, perhaps not a googout shill bid car)