Prep for 3.5 Megasquirt

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
yea i tried thru the ac side -glad it all worked

I couldn’t even get the AC hardlines out through the AC holes. Documented in my decon thread. The brass fittings on both ends were larger than the hole. I cut the firewall to get them out.

02coastie

Site Donor
Reaction score
My .02 On my 2002 I am running a microsquirt unit. This has the benefit of being a)cheaper, and b) smaller than the standard MS3 unit. You lose a few of the fancy features (batch injection vs multi-port / launch control / etc), but for me I didn't see the gains. The real benefit as I understand of the PnP unit is exactly that, you can plug it directly into a motronic harness and call it a day. I see that as a bit of a downside since I'm then relying on a 30 year old harness. Admittedly, making a new harness is as bit of a pain, but at least I can route everything where I choose and know it's not going to have any gremlins due to age. As a side note, as I understand it, the PnP is actually based on the MS2/Microsquirt unit. YMMV.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Here are some pictures of where I'm at, I figured as long as I'm in the car I might as well rebuild everything, so the brakes need a little attention and also for those of you who make lots of mistakes like me, I'll point out a couple. Here is a true potentially major screw up that I didn't think about; I did not get the right strut fully seated (although tight) and it effectively lengthened the entire strut causing some unusual handling characteristics that I blamed on something else. It also caused a visible camber difference in the front wheels that Don saw last time he was down here and it caused the CN spring to be loser on the right than on the left, now I could say that it came lose but either way- not the work of a true e9'r. I guess the lesson is to be sure everything is perfect-ALL THE TIME- I pictured the area of my error and also I'm posting some pics of the engine without the head. Terry Sayther was kind enough to help me by understanding that I am a numbskull and he tore the entire engine down and rebuilt it for me after I had it initially built so I'll just be careful putting everything back in the car.
engine8.jpg
engine12.jpg
engine10.jpg
engine11.jpg
new engine13.jpg

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Well Mr. C... I'm down the road in SA but will wait to see you next month for the install portion of the project. Have to say I like the weather this time of the year.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It's freggin freezing at the ranch, not much better than NY last week. Want to take a trip to see Drew or are you back to sunny CA soon? I started putting allot of the engine together and I hope to have the trans ready and installed soon.

Can someone chime in on the best shifter to use if going for a sportier feel? And what I might need to configure the operation-

Thanks

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
looking great Peter ... keep it going. i'm sure by the time Don gets back to Austin it will finish as a thing of beauty. sounds like i will be making the move to MS as well with the euro b34

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I just had five shifters machined. Bronze silicon and bronze aluminum alloys.
I’ll save you one.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks Don,
I have been doing a little video-ing, but I missed the part where I lifted the engine off the subframe with the forklift and spilt the remaining coolant all over the warehouse floor. Saturday should be fun though, looking at a full day of therapy in the warehouse!

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Just some more pictures, I hope the good stuff happens this weekend :) These are in no particular order but note BMW's new "in-line 12"
engine20.jpg
new engine14.jpg
new engine15.jpg
new engine17.jpg
new engine18.jpg
new engine19.jpg