Prep for 3.5 Megasquirt

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I hope this helps others- and my ego- as I attempt (with tons of input from you all) to put a new heart and a few other organs into my e9. I have re-named her Bernadette in honor of my recently departed mum who was always very interested in my mechanical disability. She mostly just shook her head but inside she knew why I and the rest of us do these things. Her dad ran the first fleet of refrigerated trucks holding the sole 50-state transportation permit in the early-mid 1930's and growing up we had the most ancient fleet of old jalopy's in the Northeast. But anyway that's why I'm changing the name and here is the beginning of my first e9 project on its second build:

prep for 3.5 megasquirt1 - Copy.JPG
Old engine- clean but tired
prep for 3.5 megasquirt2 - Copy.JPG
prep for 3.5 megasquirt3.JPG
New engine, clean and anxious
prep for 3.5 megasquirt4.JPG
prep for 3.5 megasquirt5.JPG
prep for 3.5 megasquirt6.JPG
prep for 3.5 megasquirt7.JPG
prep for 3.5 megasquirt8.JPG
prep for 3.5 megasquirt9.JPG

I decided to wait until tomorrow morning to drop the engine so hopefully more pictures then... Maybe even a video!

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
i would sugest you dump megasquirt and go w/ links system
twice a good and tons more functions to control and much simopler to wire and cheaper

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
i would sugest you dump megasquirt and go w/ links system
twice a good and tons more functions to control and much simopler to wire and cheaper

While I disagree with just about everything that you just carelessly threw onto our lap without context, I have to dig into at least one. How is a links system simpler to wire? All aftermarket ECU's with comparable capabilities will have the same number of inputs and outputs. The more capable the ECU, the more inputs and outputs. So what black magic does the links ECU have that allows the wiring to be simpler? Please quantify your claim.

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
MARKOS what the hec do u care
your not even using it and i have tons of experince between the two
you need to stop using word like careless when u speak of me markos
you cant just jump onto a conversation when you dont know what your talking about!!!!
study both systems like i have and actually installed
then make a comment if constructive.!!!

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
MARKOS what the hec do u care
your not using it and i have tons of experince between the two
well said above
you need to stop using word like carelerss when u speak of me markos
no true markos
you cant just jump onto a conversation when you dont knowewhat your talking about!!!!
study both systems like i have and actually installed

Alan,

I care for a few reasons. Firstly you make a bold statement to someone who has already invested in megasquirt. Someone could just as easily enter your build thread and say:

“I suggest you dump the s38, and go with m30 engine. better motor and simpler to wire and cheaper”

Secondly, you provide zero evidence or anecdotes to back up the statements that you made about link vs megasquirt. In fact all I have to go on is your build thread, which doesn’t portray any aftermarket ecu as a cheap and easy path to first fire.

You have repeatedly told me that I don’t know what I am talking about, yet you have no idea how much research I have done on the subject. You also presume that I am not going to use a stand alone ECU, which is a fair but incorrect assumption.

I’m not an ECU expert and I never will be. I know enough to avoid recommendding that anyone abandon their existing engine management plans without at least explaining my position.

I really don’t care what your explanation is for the wiring statement. I have zero expectation that you can quantify the statement on price, performance (for an M30), or ease of installation. Unfortunately for me, I’m slightly addicted to this forum and I take the bait every time.

@Peter Coomaraswamy , my apologies for sending your amazing update into a tailspin.

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
markos you dont know thew conversation i had with him personally
a portion
one this is the mega squirt uses the motronic harness and the head wont fit throught the firewall
ac hole so i had to open holes in the inner fender and inside fender well so i could keep the unit out of the weather
yet the links unit has just wires that easily go through the ac hole.

Last edited:

nosmonkey

In Rust We Trust
Site Donor
Reaction score
There is plenty that can be done with megasquirt and its open software allows for a lot of adjustability. I was going to go with MS3 on my E9 but decided to go with emerald as a lot of UK tuners have experience with it, however on my RS Turbo it's running MS as I feel it is better suited. Alan, whilst you may have explained to Peter, making such a bold statement on the forum without specifying the reason as to why you have come to that conclusion will naturally lead people to ask questions.

On a side note, how many more features would the Link have that would actually apply to the M30? I doubt anyone running a naturally aspirate 3.5 would have any need for PWM controllers, anti lag systems etc.

Peter, the project looks great, looking forward to see how it progresses!

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I think we would all be interested in seeing Alan’s running car and it’s tune at the next local show.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Well, this is fun :), In defense of Alan, I did ask for questions AND comments, the truth is I'll be lucky to get this thing running reliably even if I put a cage of squirrels under the hood. There is so much work to do on a car I already "rebuilt" and it is way too late to change squirrels in mid-stream, but I still hope to document the process on the forum and via another shameless video which I hope to bribe one of our local forum members into editing.. Ian??

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi Guys, Engine is out but I did bend a little piece :-( Please see the WTB section, also have allot of work to do and the little shop space is getting crowded! This mornings pictures;

And Chris, yes I'm putting on the correct lower radiator hose :)
prep for 3.5 megasquirt11.JPG
prep for 3.5 megasquirt12.JPG
prep for 3.5 megasquirt13.JPG
prep for 3.5 megasquirt14.JPG
prep for 3.5 megasquirt15.JPG
prep for 3.5 megasquirt-error.JPG
prep for 3.5 megasquirt16.JPG

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
Looks good Peter! I'm sure you'll get it running on MS without any problems, as many others have:)
And yes, definitely make a video if you have the possibility.

afeustel

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Nice work Peter and Don. Wish I could have come over to help. Can't wait to go for a ride in it! Enjoy your time together gentlemen.

OCCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Just an FYI I used a nib 1.3 wiring harness from a '93 e34 535i. This happens to be the shortest of the 1.3 harnesses. It fit very nicely and I was able to route it in to my glovebox through the firewall. The ecu fits nicely in the upper section of the glovebox.