Raven gets a new nest

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hello all. I've teased that we're building a new garage - and progress has finally reached a point where I think it is worthwhile to document it here. I'd started a thread previously with a discussion of lifts - THANK YOU for all the input. I welcome more as the details come together.

The exciting "car guy" reason for a new garage is to have space to work on The Raven (my coupe). It currently resides at our "cabin" which is about two hours away from where we live and work. This has resulted in almost no progress on the car (as some may note in the lack of content on my restoration thread).

Here is a photo of the cabin, and The Raven quietly resting within the garage there.
01-bluff house.jpg

02-on dollies.jpg

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
So, back in Milwaukee, Wisconsin - here is an image of the original garage behind the house. It was built in 1929. It was small, but adequate for our two daily drivers. We likely would have just kept it intact and added on to it if it weren't for the fact that the concrete foundation beneath it was crumbling. There were plants growing through it, animals burrowing into it, and it was quite literally becoming a pile of sand and gravel. Not a good base for any reasonable structure.
03-exist garage.jpg

Yeah, she's a real beauty. All we'd done is install the overhead doors and openers in order for it to provide the basic function of parking our drivers year round...

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Demo

The original structure came down in less than an hour (it was more like ten minutes). It was sad to see a 90 year old structure get reduced to rubble so quickly. but so much if its originality was long gone, so it was time to move on.
04-demo 1.jpg
05-demo 2.jpg
06-demo 3.jpg

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Site prep

Soon after demo, the crew had the area prepped and the new garage was laid out. It's a wee bit larger than the original structure.
07-flat pad 1.jpg
08-flat pad 2.jpg

Funny side bar story about the size of the garage. The zoning ordinances would not support a garage of this size. I brought it to the board of zoning appeals and was successful in getting approval for a detached garage that is 50% larger than allowed. And I already wish it were larger!

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Excavation and foundation

By the end of the first week the foundation was excavated, footings poured, and foundation (frost) walls were cast.
09-excavated.jpg
10-foundation poured.jpg

And the following week we were back filled. It was a tenuous week of worrying that someone would drive into the hole.
11-backfilled.jpg

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My .02 cents...Radiant floor heat.
Yes, that's what we have at the cabin (throughout and in the garage floor slab). It is extremely comfortable. But that is definitely not in the budget for this garage. We will have a heat pump that will heat, cool, and dry out there though.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Andrew,
To give this amazingly comfortable amenity its due course, I did study the option to add radiant to the garage. It would add 30% to 35% to the budget for the whole build. While I would absolutely love to roll around on a warm floor, we can't swing it. Unfortunately I don't have the budget that most of my professional projects have. But I still suspect I'll get good use year 'round out there with the heat pump.

And wait until you see the vintage light fixtures I found out of a barn in Utah!!! Good things to come. :cool:

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hello all. I've teased that we're building a new garage - and progress has finally reached a point where I think it is worthwhile to document it here. I'd started a thread previously with a discussion of lifts - THANK YOU for all the input. I welcome more as the details come together.

The exciting "car guy" reason for a new garage is to have space to work on The Raven (my coupe). It currently resides at our "cabin" which is about two hours away from where we live and work. This has resulted in almost no progress on the car (as some may note in the lack of content on my restoration thread).

Here is a photo of the cabin, and The Raven quietly resting within the garage there.
View attachment 75909
View attachment 75910
Your cabin is very cool. Looks like Frank Lloyd Wright Usonian style. A photo with your e9 parked in front would be awesome.
Good luck with the new car digs.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
A photo with your e9 parked in front would be awesome.
Thank you! The crazy thing is I don't have a single image of the coupe (or any car other than our Jeep Cherokee "Snow Cat") out there. But here's a video of the car "arriving" at the cabin. Just pulled it out of the trailer, and motoring it up the driveway for the first time a few years ago.

milwaukeesk

Member.
Site Donor
Reaction score
Your pics in the city are so perfectly Milwaukee. Are you in Bayview?

I feel I recognize that alley but they all start to look the same.

Love the cottage although I’m sure your home takes offense to that. That is most definitely not a typical Sconni cottage. I sold my Russell Barr Williamson home in Fox Point last year and miss it dearly.

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
To give this amazingly comfortable amenity its due course, I did study the option to add radiant to the garage. It would add 30% to 35% to the budget for the whole build. While I would absolutely love to roll around on a warm floor, we can't swing it. Unfortunately I don't have the budget that most of my professional projects have. But I still suspect I'll get good use year 'round out there with the heat pump.

You'll be just fine without floor heating, with the lift there's no reason to be crawling on the floor, eh? ;)
I had the same dilemma when I built my garage, what I want vs. what my current budget is.
So what I did was to put down the tubing in the slab for heating if I ever felt I really needed it and/or had the money to finish the system later on. Putting down the tubing is cheap (well relatively) but I know it all adds up in the end.
With that said, I installed a heat pump as well, and since I started using the garage I haven't been suffering from a cold floor at all, but my floor slab is quite insulated so I guess that might have an effect, but my plans for floor heating is non existing at the moment since I'm very happy with the heat pump.

Looking forward to see the rest of the build!

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Your pics in the city are so perfectly Milwaukee. Are you in Bayview?

I feel I recognize that alley but they all start to look the same.

Love the cottage although I’m sure your home takes offense to that. That is most definitely not a typical Sconni cottage. I sold my Russell Barr Williamson home in Fox Point last year and miss it dearly.
Yes, Bay View - wow, good eye. We were in the Third Ward but never felt like "home" in that neighborhood, so we moved down to Bay View about 5 years ago. The house is a 120 year old bungalow that we're working on slowly. Funny thing is, my office is now in the Third Ward - a block away from our old loft. That would have been convenient - but then I wouldn't be able to build this garage there...

I love your old RBW house. I think I know which one it is - I had some clients asking me to look at it for them.

Last edited:

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score

View attachment 75909
View attachment 75910

Wow! I love your cabin, beautiful design!

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
What a great project. I have built new "quarters" for my cars in every place I have owned. Now I live on a farm so I renovated a barn to accommodate my current needs. Years ago, on one smaller lot, I designed a small "studio;" with a loft above, with pull down staircase so we could get to the slot car track up there! Best of luck Stephen, hope the neighbours are "on side" ;) Mike

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Do love the cabin. Have a pair of FLW chairs that wish they lived there.
I'm ready to pull the heat pump trigger. Would love to know what unit you decide upon. My stand alone is about your size, currently has a small propane furnace that will cook in the winter, but I'm not really a fan of an open flame in "the car barn", and I really need the cooling in the summer. Like today...92 in western NC. Stupid.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I'm ready to pull the heat pump trigger. Would love to know what unit you decide upon.
Hey Dave,
I took the advice of @Gary Knox and purchased a unit from ebay. It has arrived, and has some good parts, including a Toshiba compressor, despite its low cost. Here the link to the unit I picked up:
It will cool, heat, and dry. I think it will work well for my needs.

I thought about a wood burning stove to make the space really warm and wholesome, but The Raven with her triple weber carbs emits some fuel fumes such that it doesn't sound like a great idea to have a fire burning in there. :oops:

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score

View attachment 75909
View attachment 75910

i absoultely envy your cabin, that has a flavour of lloyd wrightness architecture, or you are a very good photographer
regards