regularity rally pics

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks Barry. I plan to create my exhaust in the DIY fashion as well. Are your silencers similar to Magna Flow types? That seems to be a popular and surprisingly cost effective option...
mpe-10415_ml.jpg

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
indeed Stephen.... here you see 2 pics, first we made a single 73 ( or 76 ? ) mm line but that was soon damaged due ground clearence .... so now we have a dual 63 mm line . That's better , ofcourse that red car is lowered....
the after section stayed the same in single 73(76) mm , the Y went to the back , in front we welded first a X .
First pic is also from the time i had a M5 S38b38 engine in it... but later we used it that way with the M30 , just modified to the Schnitzer headers.....

ready 002.JPG
uitlaat2017 001.JPG

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You just made my day - confirmed a lot of "theories" I was noodling on. Thanks for posting pics.

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
last Saturday we drove a rally in Flanders .... all went well , we ended 16 on 64 cars. Nice warm weather and a good rain shower from time to time :)

pitty the journalist took some easy ( for him ) spots for pics .... there were so many more "spectacular" off road places.... perhaps he didn't wanted to go to far from a pub.... :D

MC3.jpg
MC1.jpg
MC2.jpg

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
thanks Philippe.... indeed one of our best results ever. Navigation methods aren't simple and sometimes one needs some luck.
First time also i really took T's and crosses very sharp.... and indeed , we noted 3 control letters which you don't see turning in "regular"..... a bit of a game in the game :) ( also ofcourse to get the speed down for safety... most of the route is public road )

shanon

Reaction score
Great stuff. Just found this thread. Fun.

Post away. Yep, removed airdam too after tiring of repairs. ;)

More interior set up pics please!

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
best part shanon was in 2016 when we broke our M5 engine ( S38) and replaced it with a more oem 3.5l M30 , a brand new one ! i was lucky to find that engine , it was all those years on display in technical school ! it even had still the factory labels on it . Engine was overhauled with just new seals… all was indeed new ! ( '86) Injection stuff replaced with triples Webers , Schrick cam and Schnitzer headers.
M30 003.JPG

M30 001.JPG
M30 002.JPG

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
damned, boring job :D
i knew it , at the time we installed the roll cage i didn't wanted to ditch my sunroof.... so we had to lower it a bit.
Without a helmet it's fine , i never touched the X brace in the rooftop …. but with a helmet i had to lower the seat so that i'm seated to low , and is the steering wheel to high ...
Now , we don't need FIA papers on the build , so i want to remove that X so we can be seated "normal" with helmet.
Removing it is way more difficult than welding it in at the time....there's no much space for tools.... think i found a way that makes it at least possible: with the big grinder i cut it trough , with the small one i can get closer to the corner but not the hole way trough. That piece i can hammer ( break ) away. And the last piece with a Dremel cutting wheel from inside/outside , working as a dentist ….:)

4 corners to go....

SAM_2541.JPG

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi Barry,
So no more X brace at the top? That should reduce your top weight a bit, too.
Usually things come out easier than they go in. This must be the exception.

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
yes Stephen, one can more easy weld something in than removing it …. i know now :)
so far all done , just some more "Dremel" to do....to get it "nice" finished.
Should have done it much early , more, not ever welded it in !

What have we learned ? a "full" roll cage doesn't work well with a sun roof tin top.....but glad i kept my sunroof !

All done now in preparation of a international regularity rally in Ypres on 30 november-1/2 December. There are several closed road race stages with helmet obligated …. i'm really looking forward to participate ! :D

mr bump

Reaction score
here we had to return as we had no exact distance ( copilot did not correctly tim the tripmaster at zero). We had to take a right turn at 1.85 km but there were 3 possible streets on the right side to take in not 100 meters apart.... That was just after the start of a special ... so the pics from the organisation. :oops:
It's fun but one must always be alert, those roadbooks are full of tricks....

View attachment 39176
View attachment 39177
View attachment 39178
View attachment 39179
View attachment 39180
I was wondering what my E9 would look like with a set of schnitzer wheels on it, and they look quiet good!
Cracking car and location!

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
i do actually prefer my other set Schnitzers , with a polished rim outside…. just a visual "taste" , they are the same dimensions. I had Kumho semi slicks on them but as we don't drive rallys during summer , we see more often some rain or even snow and sure mud ! So i just got them also to Michelin Alpine tires changed. I will use that new set end november on the Ypres Regularity rally.
bmw schnitzer 005.JPG

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
actually , those wheels were now the problem at Ypres Rally Regularity this weekend …. i broke 2 rims cutting corners.... :(
Friday night the first , lucky at the end of a special stage , so we could end it and replace during "service" time . As we had no service crew i had to be careful for the remaining specials.... as my spare wheels were at Ypres i my car and trailer.... we ended 37 on 84 cars.
Saturday morning… the same again !, had to replace on the special stage , and now we had to do still more specials without spare wheel… so no more cutting corners. We ended 51 …
Sunday , with again new spare wheel :), all went well and ended final 45. Pitty , without our wheel problems a place around "30" had been possible , was also our "goal" .
All began with big brake kit ( Wilwood) , so we needed 16/17" wheels…. and tires 245/40... to low for such rallying. Must look what to do... think again smaller brakes and 15" wheels with higher tires. Must look into it , i have time now with the winter stop.
Yper2018.jpg
Yper12018.jpg
Yper42018.jpg

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
ready for 2019... start next Saturday. Now with 2 spare wheels aboard… i'm running now 16" wheels instead of 17" , so a inch more tire and less rim , but don't have spares so far.... those are 14" ( from the blue coupe) and only go on the rear , i kept the big brakes in front , so minimum 16".
O well, if a flat in front we have to change first a wheel in the back :D
tire height is approx the same 245/40/17 my old Schnitzers 8.5" ET13
225/50/16 running now, OZ racing 7.5" ET15
205/70/14 spares till i found some 16" …. not all 16" wheels clear the calipers with the spokes.

SAM_2660.JPG

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
depends on the roads/potholes/offroad…. Steve. And in Belgium we do have our share of potholes on small country roads used in rallys. Dangerous at night , you often don't see them coming .
And of course the driver.... cutting corners :)

in rally they use ( expensive) race tires , with stiffer sidewalls.
In regularity rally we must use street legal tires.

Last edited: