Restoring a '72 3.0 CS I bought for $600 [VIDEO]

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
Can anyone who has done a disassembly - reassembly at some time chime in with a plan for the sequence of operations. Eg. put the dash back in BEFORE the windscreen. Correct sequencing can save an awful lot of heartache.

arnie

Reaction score
Starting from scratch is always safer than buying a car, where you can't be sure about the quality of the restauration. So therefor congrats for your decision.

Beside that, if you really paid just 600 bucks it's a steal when I take a look at real precious components like for instance the electric windows mechanism for the doors and sunroof. These only could be the cover for your complete investment. :cool:

If the tool box is in good condition it's the next 200-300 $$ and so on.
So even if you don't follow up your original plans to resurect this beauty you will make money by selling the parts.

As you probably already discovered is the body the main issue. There are for sure several ways to solve all the rust issues, but normally it's not a good idea to just patch all the holes, but exchange the complete panels.
For that it help a "bit" if you're not a rookie in body work. E9s are quite challenging.

Parts availability and their prices is the next major concern in restoring an E9. It can easily kill your project if you don't consider this.

I personally always found and still find it very helpful and also kind of entertaining to follow resto freds, which are available in the www.
Imho one of the most interesting ones is this:

http://e30-talk.com/topic/85431-under-construction-bmw-e9-coupé/page-1

(For sure a very huge investment for all the new panels and other components they used).

I personally did more or less the same for the bodywork of my E9, but searched and used a bit more of used parts, which I needed to prepare a bit before they where attached.

If you like you could follow my project here:

http://www.e21-board.de/wbb/dies-und-das/restaurationen/47997-eine-weitere-e9-antirosttherapie/

Although it might be impossible for you to follow the description, because these are German ones, it might be a big help watching all the pictures, which really shows the "nasty" construction and the various layers of all the sheetmetal panels. And as a general hint: reinforce the body by welding in an aid frame before you cut anything structural out of the really weak chassis.

Good luck :wink:

Greets from Germany

Ingo

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Incredible rebuild

I checked out the pictures on the german site and although I could not understand anything in writing the build is amazing, there must be over 1000 welds on that car! Would love to see the finished coupe!

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Build

Absolutely wonderful job
ive never seen such a mess these cars can get into
great job and thanks for the excellent process photos
we can really see what a monster these cars can be
very cool

decoupe

(deceased)
Reaction score
aearch

Alan,

You sent me a PM about fender covering material but when I tried to reply I got this prompt, better check your PM settings so you get replies.

Doug

"aearch has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her."

wazza.csi

Reaction score
Hi George, I am in BC south of Vancouver, I have just Imported 2 Coupes from New Zealand so am busy stripping them down to make 1 good car, Let me know if you are looking for anything!
all the best with your project, Cheers Warren

georgebriggs

Reaction score
Removing the dash

Hey all,

Some updates since I've last posted on here. My E9 is just about ready to get blasted next week. I managed to get the dash out with the help of a few people on here so a big thanks!

I've really enjoyed the process so far and really excited to get on the body work with a friend of mine who has a lot of know how in metal work. Check out the video below for the full update on how I removed the dash.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/HWVw82E_5RE

Last edited:

georgebriggs

Reaction score
Beside that, if you really paid just 600 bucks it's a steal when I take a look at real precious components like for instance the electric windows mechanism for the doors and sunroof. These only could be the cover for your complete investment. :cool:

Sorry for the late response! Totally agree with you, although I was taking risk the return on just the parts made it an easy decision. Not to mention I'm talking in CAD $ too!

I'm intending on seeing this project through, it looks like you've got one hell of a build yourself!

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
I personally always found and still find it very helpful and also kind of entertaining to follow resto freds, which are available in the www.
Imho one of the most interesting ones is this:

http://e30-talk.com/topic/85431-under-construction-bmw-e9-coupé/page-1

(For sure a very huge investment for all the new panels and other components they used).

I personally did more or less the same for the bodywork of my E9, but searched and used a bit more of used parts, which I needed to prepare a bit before they where attached.

If you like you could follow my project here:

http://www.e21-board.de/wbb/dies-und-das/restaurationen/47997-eine-weitere-e9-antirosttherapie/

Although it might be impossible for you to follow the description, because these are German ones, it might be a big help watching all the pictures, which really shows the "nasty" construction and the various layers of all the sheetmetal panels. And as a general hint: reinforce the body by welding in an aid frame before you cut anything structural out of the really weak chassis.

Good luck :wink:

Greets from Germany

Ingo

Google Chrome does a good job of translating webpages on the fly. It won't know some words and the grammar can be amusing, but it's a great help in getting a general idea of what is being talked about.

Ian

georgebriggs

Reaction score
Commencing Media Blasting!

Update!

Goodbye rust and paint, the E9 is in the booth for blasting over the next few days. It's quite something to see what's been revealed in the small amount that has been cleared. For those wondering, the fenders are being cut out tomorrow to address the rot that lies in the murky darkness below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJPZ3Ib1wFQ

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Great update! How long do you spend editing each release? I think you should bless e9coupe with some still shots before the rest of the world gets the next YouTube video. :) Have you removed the front fenders yet? There are some writeups on here that you should definitely read first.

georgebriggs

Reaction score
Thanks Markos!

It depends on the edit but usually a 3 to 4 hours (give or take). I promise if I have time I will! Usually I'm squeezing in the edit literally the night before or morning of with balancing client work and all :p. I'll be sure to send some screenshots while I'm in post though so my fellow e9'rs get a little peak.

Those bastards are coming off today actually, I've been directed towards some of the write ups, definitely work reading up on before taking a grinder to it.

Great update! How long do you spend editing each release? I think you should bless e9coupe with some still shots before the rest of the world gets the next YouTube video. :) Have you removed the front fenders yet? There are some writeups on here that you should definitely read first.

Last edited:

georgebriggs

Reaction score
Restoration back on! With a donor!

Thanks for chiming in Peter! And that's correct, I just wrapped directing Tesla's global Autopilot video and another one for them which consumed most of my life for 3 months.

Some exciting news, I was able to pick up a 2800 donor in Toronto that some of you may have seen for sale in the forums. The shell was in pretty rough shape but with all the sheet metal, the few areas from the shell and all the interior and other bits I picked up it advanced the project considerably.

Apart from some mechanical aspects, I've got mostly a complete car now!

I've posted the latest video below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYuKH1e96ws

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Alex,

Very exciting update! I remember the Toronto car. It seemed like a great opportunity for the right buyer. That interior looks fantastic.

http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20538

Did your donor car come with glass? I didn't see in the video. You are the one person that I know that definitely needs rear glass, which I will have for sale at some point in the coming months.