Show your...Steering wheel(s)

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Really nice! The seam is in it's proper place and horn buttons are set in nicely. Is "Italvolanti" written in the old style or the newer?

None of these motorsport wheels actually say Italvolanti anywhere. The parent company ATI is on the wheel. Mine says ATI 3, which means it is a 380. The ATI 1 is a 360 or 365.

Edit: Incorrect. Mine has cursive Italvolanti on the back (see below). Oops!

Last edited:

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
According to my info, Formel was a German company.
The wooden Formel steering wheels had to compete with the brands from England ( Formula/Speedwell, Moto Lita, Walsall/Les Leston etc. ).
I should have a picture somewhere from a sixties catalog, showing this model Formel steering wheel.
Hans--I hope you can find that sixties catalog. The EBay seller said it was a company related to Nardi. I like the upper spokes are at 9 and 3 o'clock position on the wheel.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
The EBay seller said it was a company related to Nardi. I like the upper spokes are at 9 and 3 o'clock position on the wheel.

I have wondered this myself. The serials on the 6PM spoke of wood Ferreros is very reminiscent of personal steering wheels. Could just be a standards thing, but momo doesn't have these.

Strato102

Site Donor
Reaction score
None of these motorsport wheels actually say Italvolanti anywhere. The parent company ATI is on the wheel. Mine says ATI 3, which means it is a 380. The ATI 1 is a 360 or 365.
The earlier "cursive" style has white lacing on the spokes.

IMG_5150.jpg
IMG_5151.jpg
IMG_5153.jpg
IMG_5157.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
The earlier "cursive" style has white lacing on the spokes.

@Strato102,

I stand corrected on the Italvolanti logo! I suppose I should have looked! :D Mine has cursive on the spokes. I went back and forth on stitch color, and intentionally went with black. My reasoning was that since most wheels have black stitching, white stitching would "appear" to be incorrect. Carpentry has taught me that in certain instances, “appearing” correct is better than being “actually” correct.

Also, as I have noticed with my Alpina wheel, the wheel restitched in white is rather stark, and takes away from the look of the wheel. I actually plan to rub some dirt into the stitching on my Alpina to age it a bit.

Another note on stitching, I have also found factory examples with bronze stitching.

Here is mine - cursive. I didn't make the association between the logo and the stitch color. Thank you for the lesson! :)

97280DD4-E572-4165-B3B5-1B74BE3DB0A8.jpeg

Hans W.

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hans--I hope you can find that sixties catalog. The EBay seller said it was a company related to Nardi. I like the upper spokes are at 9 and 3 o'clock position on the wheel.
Unfortunately I can't find it. I have thousands of steering wheel photos. Hopefully I will come across it someday.
In the meantime I want to show you two other wheels I have.

20201004_155201.jpg
20201004_155117.jpg

Hans W.

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I have wondered this myself. The serials on the 6PM spoke of wood Ferreros is very reminiscent of personal steering wheels. Could just be a standards thing, but momo doesn't have these.

I'm pretty sure Personal made many steering wheels for several brands ( Franchini, Formel, Peretti, Speedy, Nardi, VW etc. ).

JohnP_02

Reaction score
Hey everyone. Looking for some insight on this wheel. I am familiar with the 2002 version - which is actually for a 1600 ti, but I did not realize there was an e9 version as well until I picked this up? I guess there is the possibility that the hub was some how modified although that seems unlikely. Thoughts? Thanks! John

1.jpg
0.jpg

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hey everyone. Looking for some insight on this wheel. I am familiar with the 2002 version - which is actually for a 1600 ti, but I did not realize there was an e9 version as well until I picked this up? I guess there is the possibility that the hub was some how modified although that seems unlikely. Thoughts? Thanks! John

View attachment 105850View attachment 105851

Looks like the BMW 1600 GT wheel from 1967-1968.

Tanya in 1600 GT.jpg
bmw1600gtsteer.jpg

JohnP_02

Reaction score
Ok, so after consulting with some people more knowledgeable than I, it appears this is not a GT wheel - they did not use a horn contact ring either.

The mystery is the hub on this on - it does not appear to be for any model that the wheel was traditionally made for. This is why I wondered if maybe it was at some point available with an e9 set up? Another steering wheel mystery!

EDIT 1/24: so the wheels finally arrived after 2 months in shipment and it appears it is in fact a regular 1600ti wheel that has been modified to add an e9 horn ring (you can see the original 02 horn pin under the ring). It was actually done pretty cleanly and looks decent! Solved!

E3580F9B-9EFA-4758-BE72-A7E40C7A1371.jpeg

Last edited:

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
This older Alpina wheel was/is on my CSL when I got it. Based on some input from some of the wheel guru's (you know who you are) it is from 66-67, pretty early in Alpinas production. The leather looks original and the wheel itself is in excellent condition, especially considering its age. It measures at 360mm.

Anyone know what hub this might be? There's no marking anywhere on it.

20201124_120856.jpg
20201124_120912.jpg
20201124_120920.jpg

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
This older Alpina wheel was/is on my CSL when I got it. Based on some input from some of the wheel guru's (you know who you are) it is from 66-67, pretty early in Alpinas production. The leather looks original and the wheel itself is in excellent condition, especially considering its age. It measures at 360mm.

Anyone know what hub this might be? There's no marking anywhere on it.

I’m of the opinion that it is not a momo hub. If you pull the wheel off, you should see a “top” stamp and likely a number. Here is a picture of the top of your replacement 152. I have had a few momo hubs with the stamp on the side. All modern collapsible momo hubs have the stamp on the side, but that is because the mating surface is steel.

BAB0C3FF-E3E4-4471-941C-49A1CC07C811.jpeg