Sierrabeige 1977 3.0Si Restoration in the UK

E3-3.0Si

Reaction score
I am interested in the coating system you applied on the rear axle. e.g. shot blasted + powder coating (1 or 2 layer system). Or did you cleaned it by chemicals and than a powder coating system. Color black satin?

All the suspension components were shot blasted and then powder coated in black satin. I think that this is the most durable finish.

E3-3.0Si

Reaction score
I am interested in the coating system you applied on the rear axle. e.g. shot blasted + powder coating (1 or 2 layer system). Or did you cleaned it by chemicals and than a powder coating system. Color black satin?
120.jpg

This is what we started with!

E3-3.0Si

Reaction score
I also started to turn my attention to trim and electrical items. The majority of these parts were in good condition, and certainly good enough to be reused, but some had seen better days. The indicators were a case in point:

138.jpg

139.jpg

140.jpg

141.jpg
142.jpg

Fortunately I managed to find a NOS pair for a very reasonable price. The difference is startling:

118.jpg

119.jpg

Frederick

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Those corner blinkers really take a beating, mine were not as bad as yours but the corrosion monster eats them up. WN had some nice Italian ones for a lot of money!!

E3-3.0Si

Reaction score
Those corner blinkers really take a beating, mine were not as bad as yours but the corrosion monster eats them up. WN had some nice Italian ones for a lot of money!!
Yes it’s incredible how they degrade but then they are over 40 years old so maybe not unexpected.

All the new indicators I found for sale were very expensive, but then I found these new old stock ones for a far more reasonable price. I think that’s part of the ‘fun’ of restoration; hunting down all the obscure parts!

Fritzie

Reaction score
It's been quite some time since the last update, so I thought that you might like to see what's happened recently. The fitting-up of the body is going well:

View attachment 145430

View attachment 145434

View attachment 145431

View attachment 145425

View attachment 145426

View attachment 145427

View attachment 145429

View attachment 145428

View attachment 145432

View attachment 145433
How did you bent the brake lines? By hand or with a pipe bending device?

E3-3.0Si

Reaction score
Some of you may have read my other post about the front shock absorbers here: https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/e3-front-bilstein-shock-absorber-lengths.40773/

Essentially, I found out the hard way that E3s were fitted with three different types of front shock absorbers, and as my car is a very late one (January '77) then it has the E12 type dampers. These were listed everywhere as being available, but as soon as I ordered them I was told that they were on long backorder - even from BMW and Bilstein direct. So the only other option was to track down some old ones with the view to having them rebuilt by Bilstein. After a LONG search, I stuck gold. I found a NOS pair of the correct Bilsteins for sale in Greece. Needless to say I bought them straight away:

199 (2).jpg

198 (3).png

I was pleased to confirm that they are the correct part number, and even more pleased to find that they came with the retaining collars and the fitting tool:

196 (2).png

Attachments

• 198 (2).png
    198 (2).png
    848.2 KB · Views: 76

E3-3.0Si

Reaction score
This of course meant that the remainder of the front suspension components could them be assembled and installed:

193.jpg

192.jpg

189.jpg

180.jpg

I chose not to re-install the UK and US spec front shock absorber top mount spacer:

181.jpg

E3-3.0Si

Reaction score
The next major bit of work will be rebuilding the M90 3.5 litre engine. This came from a 1981 E12 M535i, and was a bit of an unknown as it hadn't run in many years. Fortunately, the bores are good. Unfortunately the pistons aren't really suitable to be reused so I've ordered a custom set. They have an 8 to 10 week manufacturing lead time!

168.jpg

169.jpg

E3-3.0Si

Reaction score
So whilst we wait for the pistons, and consequently to complete the engine rebuilt, the body trim fitting up continues:

194.jpg

174.jpg

175.jpg

176.jpg

177.jpg
178.jpg

184.jpg

182.jpg

And it's beginning to look like a car again! A lot of the trim, lights, grilles etc were in very good condition so I am very happy to re-use them. The 7x14 Mahle wheels are just being used to roll the car around. The 7x14 Alpinas will be refitted once the car is ready to go back on the road.

Fritzie

Reaction score
Some of you may have read my other post about the front shock absorbers here: https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/e3-front-bilstein-shock-absorber-lengths.40773/

Essentially, I found out the hard way that E3s were fitted with three different types of front shock absorbers, and as my car is a very late one (January '77) then it has the E12 type dampers. These were listed everywhere as being available, but as soon as I ordered them I was told that they were on long backorder - even from BMW and Bilstein direct. So the only other option was to track down some old ones with the view to having them rebuilt by Bilstein. After a LONG search, I stuck gold. I found a NOS pair of the correct Bilsteins for sale in Greece. Needless to say I bought them straight away:

View attachment 149223

View attachment 149222

I was pleased to confirm that they are the correct part number, and even more pleased to find that they came with the retaining collars and the fitting tool:

View attachment 149220
Like digging gold!!