skin exchanges started

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Morning guys !

dQ: I'm not that sure if I know what you mean, because there are so many chrome trim parts on in. Do you mean the trim part, which is the cover for the gutter ?

I guess so, because it's been always a nightmare to mount it. This time it was quite easy, because I took my time to think about it. The most important thing on this procedure is to verify, that the 2 chrome parts right underneath it are sitting tight fit to the sheetmetal part. These needs to be covered from that chrome trim for the gutter as well. If so the trim matches very nice over the sheetmetal and chrome pieces and produces enough tension at the final position, that normally no glue is necessary - at least I didn't use some.

I carefully mounted these trims with a rubber mallet from the C - piilar to it's end at the front fenders edge.

If there's any other trim you're mentioning, please post a pic of it.

saludos

Ingo

yes, ingo, richtig !

that is the part, good to know that you started from the rear end (C-pillar), that was one of my main questions

the other one was the glue, good to know that there is no need of glue

but, it seems that not only hitting the part with a mallet would do, it seems that you would need some torsion to introduce it in its position, am I wrong about this ?

regards

arnie

Reaction score
but, it seems that not only hitting the part with a mallet would do, it seems that you would need some torsion to introduce it in its position

correcto: I've forgotten to add this to my procedure decription :)

To put it on the upper edge of the gutter, it needs a ceratin angle and following a rotation to the cars center direction (hope this is not confusing).

But once you managed the start, it's becoming more or less an automatic kind of movement of the trim. But be aware, the you won't end up way to long when starting from the c-pillar (can damage the paint on top of the front fender when you don't recognise it - why do I know that ? ....)

cheers

Ingo

fredp

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

again some pictures from the further steps.

New headliner, existing front and rear windows installed, some more deadening stuff for the floors and a one piece formed carpet in black/grey.
Also completed all the covers under the dashboard. Also the doors are coming in place (hard work to adjust them properly :roll:)

Ingo,

Where did you get the one piece carpet?

Fred

arnie

Reaction score
Hi Fred,

that one was a lucky punch. I got it in a quite reasonable condition out of a parts car for ridiculous money (paid 20,- € for it :mrgreen:).
It was in need of decent cleaning and some minor repair (around the holes for the seat belt bolts).

It's pretty rar to find, because, as I know, the one piece carpet was only coming with the year 75 coupés. No chance to purchase a new one nowadays so I can't give you a certain advise or assistance on that issue.

cheers

Ingo

arnie

Reaction score
so, looking forward to the coming season after I did the first couple thousand miles on my coupe without major problems.

It's quite amazing, that people have a big smile in their faces and give me a thumbs up while recognizing this "old lady".

Even though she's driving really nice, it's time for an engine swap back to where I originally started with the B10 engine. Therefor I already did the most important preparation to the car and put on the apropriate bagde to the trunk lid.

30739775mb.jpg

engine will be a 3,6 litre Motronic with a "bit" more torque than the actually installed 2,8 litre LJet.

Together with a long rear axle (3,07) it'll be a hugh improvement for the cruising abilities :razz:.

And because the left foot might be not that often used with that power train, I added a ALPINA look a like foot rest.

30739776no.jpg

I did it myself and like the sporty touch of it.

cheers

Ingo

Last edited: