So, how do you really feel about rising coupe values?

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
coupled with parts going NLA on a weekly basis. all of this makes it more difficult for newer buyers to restore / improve their coupes.

I’ve only been in this a few years. In that time I have seen a handful of parts go NLA, and tons of aftermarket parts come onto the market. Is it really getting harder to restore a coupe or is it getting easier?

mr bump

Reaction score
With so very little of the cars left, parts are rare which means are very expensive.
It happens in all marques, but classic bmw seem to carry a hefty premium what ever the model.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
okay, so i exaggerate a bit ... but, lets see ... since i have been in this.
rear bumper - almost all parts
rear taillights
various gaskets - thank goodness that W+N has re-popped some of them
fender grilles (w+n repop)
hood grilles (w+n repop)
front grilles
rear brake protection plates
firewall insulation - you can by repops from CS Werke

what has come back from BMW
- toolbox

i know there is more small parts ... but i will have to think about it ... these are the things that can kill you ... more to come
csi - cold start valve gasket

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I’m not saying you are a button click away, but I am of the impression that there are very few parts that are a real challenge. Most of the things that we call “rare” really aren’t that rare if you actively hunt them down. Yes you could buy ill-fitting parts from BMW, but new and used are cheaper and fit better. The parts that you mention as NLA are readily available used. Some parts like dashboard bits and door trim are hard to find in good shape. There are coupe owners on this board with garages and sheds full of unutized e9 parts. I’m not sure if it is for sentiment, insurance, or investment but the parts are collecting dust. If you get stuck post a WTB ad. You will see that we have about 10 FS ads for every 1 WTB ad...

rear bumper - not difficult to find used

rear tails - you can get a very nice used set for less than the old bmw price

gaskets - W&N, Vintage Autobaghn, bmw-oldtimerteile.de

front grilles - widely available used in good condition

rear brake plates - e24 with minor modification

csi gasket - gasket paper

dashboard wood - available restored and new

okay, so i exaggerate a bit ... but, lets see ... since i have been in this.
rear bumper - almost all parts
rear taillights
various gaskets - thank goodness that W+N has re-popped some of them
fender grilles (w+n repop)
hood grilles (w+n repop)
front grilles
rear brake protection plates

what has come back from BMW
- toolbox

i know there is more small parts ... but i will have to think about it ... these are the things that can kill you ... more to come
csi - cold start valve gasket

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i'm talking about near perfect / new parts. especially if you want a concours car (i don't), but i want most things to be very accurate. to me, good condition isn't good enough in most cases. trust me, i have bought a lot of used parts trying to find excellent parts. taillights for instance, i owned 7 or 8 sets at one time ... i got 3 really good right tails and 2 really good lefts ... and according to the initial pics they all looked like they were going to be very good. rear bumper - find a very good rear center trim. finding rear underriders takes a while too. for a while you couldn't get the rubber pieces on the underriders. only pieces you can readily buy for the rear bumper are the rubber pieces. front grilles - you can buy half decent grilles, but you will have a lot of work to make them look good enough to put on a newly painted car.

i didn't say anything about dash wood - completely aware of the options as Gary + I redid mine. its been NLA for a long time.

yes, there have been some ill-fitting BMW parts, and we are likely going to continue with that problem. they have fixed some of those. for instance the current rear belt trim fits. the ones from 4 years ago didn't have a prayer. not all aftermarket parts are worth buying - i will remind you of the w+n belt line trim 'T' bolts.

w+n have done a lot for sheet metal that you can't buy from BMW. its hard enough to get the correct brake calipers

my point is that as values continue to rise, you need correct parts to complete a car that is at the upper range. look at 911 values and the ability to get great parts for old models (expensive, but correct). i think that is your best chance to have a car worth more than the value of the sum of the parts.