Strut bar - group buy??

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Ohmess and I have been discussing our desire to buy one of the gorgeous strut bars that 'Daddywad' produces on the other side of the pond. This is a reproduction of the original Alpina CSL brace. We felt that splitting the shipping cost, along with the current $ to Pound exchange rate might make this feasible to consider. Then, the thought arose that a group buy might be even more advantageous for all.

Thus, this post. Is ANYONE on this Forum interested in pursuing such a group buy? If there is Chris or I will contact daddywad after we know the number who are interested.. Here is a link to the brochure showing the front strut brace (lower left side of the page): https://www.dropbox.com/s/yfazccaqaaq7voq/CS PARTS BROCHURE[1].pdf?dl=0

Here is a link to the 15 pages or so relating to the reproduction brace previously designed and developed by Orangener - but no longer available: http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/threads/strut-bar.4773/

Please post here IF you are interested in joining up with a group buy. The list price for individual purchase of this brace is 395 Pounds, which today 11/3/16 translates to $493.

PS: IF you have a firm limit on total cost, please let us know that value as well.

Last edited:

twistinglane

Site Donor
Reaction score
Is there a link or reference to how much such a strut benefits handling in street driving for our cars? I've never read up...

wsk

Reaction score
IMG_1361.jpg
I doubt they do anything for a street car either unless maybe you autocross it. But I will say Mark ('Daddywad') makes a very nice part. It is such a good replica of the Alpina part that we used one on the Martini car.

Mauler

Site Donor $
Reaction score
By fluke, I was just researching these last night. Read the whole 15 page Orangener post that spanned 4 years. Was quite well done.
I don't know if the bar helps anything, but I'm in, just for the cool factor!

WISE9UY

Site Donor
Reaction score
Interesting thread because I was just sent this list but admittedly balked at the 400 quid price tag for an item that I know outside extreme track work plays little functional role. But yes they are a really nice piece of eye candy under the hood! Has there been any indication as to where the price would come down to at what volume?

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
just my 2 cents,
i am fortunate enough not only to have one of these superb pieces but to have been able to receive it from the hands of @daddywad
if you think that i push things to the limit when trying to achieve quality and detail, that is nothing when compared to Mark fabrication skills and atention to detail
i am unable to describe my impresion on the quality and accuracy of this part, i will simply say it exceeds all my expectations, it is the perfect bar

i essentially agree that the effect of the bar strongly depends on the type of driving that you do in your car and the type of roads that you travel, and the configuration of your suspension

i need it and i am happy to have it

regards

climbernyc

Reaction score
I just purchased one along with his repro alpina airbox and Weber elbows and manifolds. Both the detail and quality are incredible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
The argument in favor of a strut brace is that it helps control torsional and bending deflections in the strut towers that result in undesirable camber changes. The theory is that even small movements in the strut towers can cause camber changes of a few tenths of a degree in the outside front tire while in a turn. Obviously, without rather elaborate testing it is difficult to say what conditions cause these deflections and how often they may be encountered on the street.

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I can't speak for the effect on these cars, but Porsche's front engine 928 model - frequently referred to as the finest GT car of it's era - had a strut bar istalled from the factory. That car was introduced in 1978, ten years after the e9. These cars always handled very well - both street and track.

Last edited:

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'll bet the average E-9 owner would get a bigger return optimizing tire pressure for the prevailing conditions (eg F/R balance and overall ) than from a strut bar. A change of 2 psi makes a huge diffenrence on my vintage race car. A strut bar doesn't need to be tweaked ever time the temp changes by 15 degrees so I can rationalize the arguments for getting one. These looks like the nicest I've seen, and only 2x Ireland's purely functional strut brace. Make sure you upgrade your springs/shocks/bars first or you may not feel the improvement these can provide. Perhaps an adjustable rear camber upgrade should also be on our lists as well.

John

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I've received a response from Mark (daddywads) regarding the discount. He said it would be 20% for an order of 6 or more front strut braces. I'm now seeking the difference in cost for shipping 6 across the pond, vs shipping one across the pond. The price for shipping 6 would come to about $36 each. There would be additional charge for shipping from wherever they arrive in the USA (say Washington DC area) to each purchaser.

So - the price for each front strut bar for a group buy would be 316 Pounds Sterling. Comes out to 392 US Dollars per bar. A savings of ~$100!! And probably more when the reduction in overseas shipping is factored in. We may not have an opportunity like this again!!

So far, I see four people who have signed up: Ohmess, Mauler, Lotuss7, and me. Looking for at LEAST 2 more. Anything beyond that will make Mark even happier!

Cheers, and let me know if you want to 'buy' in to this opportunity.

PS: Mark was also receptive enough of the 'group buy' concept that he said he'd give the 20% discount on a group buy for any of his products.

Last edited:

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
Anyone know if there are clearance issues with CSi engines?

Carl Nelson had an adjustable bar for a lot less, haven't checked to see if it's still available.

I must admit that daddywad's is a shiny bit of kit.

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Update on savings. Daddywads replied that the shipping cost for ONE strut bar is 105 Pounds Sterling, or ~$US 131. Thus, the shipping savings TO THE US is a savings of about US$ 95! .

IF you have any future desire to have this 'beautiful piece of kit' that stiffens the front suspension by keeping the struts solidly located, here is an opportunity to do it with a significant savings. I'll keep this thread open for another couple of weeks. Two more people required to obtain this full discount and shipping cost reduction.

Again - single purchase would be $625 using today's exchange rate. Group buy shipped to US is ~$430. Savings of 195 US$.

verde2002

Site Donor
Reaction score
Bar does look beautiful, it may be just me but $625 for a strut bar? $430 and this is at a deep discount no less? A piece of expensive engine bay jewelry for most I would think. Sorry if this post rubs anyone the wrong way but I guess I just do not get it.

Lotuss7

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have a stress crack in my windshield which continues to grow.

Bar make not add significant handling benefits, but if it can stiffen the front a bit and reduce the crack progression money well spent

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
verde2002,

No harm, no foul. The opportunity is only for those who want (badly!!) or may really need this beautiful (and historic design) strut bar. Ohmess and I realize it is not for everyone. But a great opportunity at a discount for those who do.

Cheers,

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I bought one a few years ago when he made a run of bars. Well made.
Had the ends powder coated black.
Looks great and fit well but can't answer about CSI or others as I have sidedraft Webers.
I paid around $450 with the shipping in 2014.