Strut bar - group buy??

WISE9UY

Site Donor
Reaction score
Note the Ireland engineering sway bar under my hood

/QUOTE]

That is actually quite a nice look too at a couple hundred less. I still like the look of the Alpina style. Is that some tarnish I see on the end of the Ireland Engineering set-up? How would you rate the quality of it?

Lotuss7

Site Donor
Reaction score
The count is up to 6. Please let me know if this is incorrect:

Ohmess
Mauler
Lotuss7
Tone (Tim)
WISE9UY
Gary Knox

Any others should probably express their purchase plans relatively soon - no later than end of November.

Cheers, and happy cornering guys.

Confirmed on my end.

WISE9UY

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks for the effort and I guess the Alpina style does look nice under the hood. However, what are the thoughts on the Ireland Engineering brace? I have not seen this one until now and I do like that it is sleeker and @Stan would like to hear any feedback on this before proceeding. You could argue what's a couple hundred here or there but as I continue to purchase parts for my build, let me say, that is two side fender grills :) But I clearly recognize that this is a good time to get the Alpina brace at a reduced cost and the dollar happens to be a bit stronger lately.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The IE brace has been fine for me but others have had failure. Notice that in order for it to fit, a chunk was hogged out of the air cleaner. I have never tracked the car but do drive fast at times.

WISE9UY

Site Donor
Reaction score
The IE brace has been fine for me but others have had failure. Notice that in order for it to fit, a chunk was hogged out of the air cleaner. I have never tracked the car but do drive fast at times.

Thanks for the feedback Stan! Always good to hear experience of others. When you say failure, you mean the welds split from the base?

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Wiseguy -- If you want mine, I will be offering it relatively inexpensively once I get the Alpina brace. Other people have installed these braces without trouble, but for some reason on my car I cannot fully close my hood with it in place. The bottom of the hood structure actually hits the top of the round mount that the bar is screwed into. I sent it back to Carl, and was told the measurements match the others they had in stock. Not sure why it doesn't work for me, but I am moving in another direction.

Mauler

Site Donor $
Reaction score
From Andrew Wilson's CSi build thread, page one.

img_3281-jpg.5082

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
For the six who wish to buy the daddywad strut bar (or any others who wish to join in): I haven't progressed on this recently for two reasons.

1. I have two questions that I've asked daddywad to which he has not responded. These involve some possible refinement in shipping procedure, and some details related to the cost of the bar.

2. Both 'winter' and holiday season are approaching. I'm wondering if any of these 6 really want/need the bars before about March of 2017! IF no one wants them before that time (Chris and I are comfortable with a bit of delay), we can postpone the purchase, with the only 'risk' being an uptick in the value of the Pound Sterling vs the US $. Of course, the US dollar could also strengthen a bit, making the purchase price a little lower. Idoubt that it would be more than a few dollars either way.

Please respond to this post IF YOU WANT THE BAR BEFORE 3/15/2017.

Thanks for your interest and patience.

Happy Thanksgiving to all who are residents of the USA.

Gary

Last edited:

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Gary,
I might be interested, when do you need to know by?
I have the intake parts
Also sent you a PM

WISE9UY

Site Donor
Reaction score
I am fine waiting. It is not critical to my car as I am still in the parts accumulation phase prior to the full build. Thank-you for the initiative and PM me when ready :)

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
Gary,
I would be interested if it fits also a carburetted engine, any info on that? As I'm located in the Netherlands, shipping would be different in logitics and cost I assume.
Would you want me to check that with Daddywad, or would you like to keep a one-line communication, and you take it onboard in your discussions with him ?

I hope my interest adds to the likelyhood of the group buy becoming a reality.
I have absolutely no hurry. It'll probably be on a shelf for the first year of it's life anyway.
Erik.

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Erik,

Why don't you contact daddywad directly (I use the 'Conversation' approach here - don't have a link for his web site) regarding shipping to the Netherlands. Please indicate you are wanting to be part of the e9 group buy from the BMW e9 forum (and probably mention my name), and that you would therefore be eligible for the 20% discount. You might also inquire about VAT responsibility when you inquire.

Thanks for wanting to join in. We now have 7 and maybe an 8th participant.

Cheers,

Gary

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Erik - This strut bar was designed for an Alpina e9 that was carburetted. Also, I have triple Webers and am pretty sure this is going to work for my car.

Last edited:

jamesw

Reaction score
I am interested in a strut bar because I think they look cool :) However, I have triple Weber 44's and I am concerned that the fuel banjo bolt on the rear carb will clash with the strut bar. Looking at the IE bar, I am almost 100% sure it will clash.

There just isn't much clearance back there for any bar - in fact, I had to remove some of the firewall insulation to provide a bit of clearance around the fuel feed/banjo bolt on my car. I'll get a photo tonight. I bet this is also manifold specific.

What have other people with big triple Webers done?

Cheers
James