Strut bar - group buy??

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Anyone know if there are clearance issues with CSi engines?

Carl Nelson had an adjustable bar for a lot less, haven't checked to see if it's still available.

I must admit that daddywad's is a shiny bit of kit.

I have Carl's bar in my car and cannot fully close my hood. Yes, its a lot less.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I'll bet the average E-9 owner would get a bigger return optimizing tire pressure for the prevailing conditions (eg F/R balance and overall ) than from a strut bar. A change of 2 psi makes a huge diffenrence on my vintage race car. A strut bar doesn't need to be tweaked ever time the temp changes by 15 degrees so I can rationalize the arguments for getting one. These looks like the nicest I've seen, and only 2x Ireland's purely functional strut brace. Make sure you upgrade your springs/shocks/bars first or you may not feel the improvement these can provide. Perhaps an adjustable rear camber upgrade should also be on our lists as well.

John

Hi John -- I agree wholeheartedly with you on the tire pressures issue. I started paying close attention to my tire pressures several years ago following a debate within the e39 community. The e39 debate was engendered by the different tire pressure recommendations in the US v. Europe. In short, BMW NA recommends an additional 4 psi in the rear tires of US e39s for reasons they did not explain at the time. Many of us concluded that this recommendation was made to encourage US drivers to set up their cars so as to understeer given the fact that US drivers cannot be trusted to deal with a big heavy powerful vehicle with neutral handling. After adjusting my tire pressures to European recommendations, I really liked the change in the ride and began to pay much closer attention to tire pressures.

Mauler

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Okay, I'll bite. (Sorry to go off topic...)
What are the European tire pressure recommendations?

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
I suggest that with a typically flexible E9 chassis you won't notice a change in handling with the simple addition of a strut bar. The same as adding a bar to an already stiff chassis in any other car. It's the sum of many changes that will make a difference, i.e. stitch weld the chassis in structural areas, reinforce same, cross bracing, upgraded bushings, front strut bar, rear strut bar triangulated to diff / floor / chassis, Carl Nelson ( or similar ) suspension upgrade, tyre pressures, etc, etc. It would be interesting to compare someone's car that has all or more of these mods against a standard car. There will be an obvious difference In short - just a strut bar and nothing else will most likely be for appearance only. But so what?

Last edited:

WISE9UY

Site Donor
Reaction score
Update on savings. Daddywads replied that the shipping cost for ONE strut bar is 105 Pounds Sterling, or ~$US 131. Thus, the shipping savings TO THE US is a savings of about US$ 95! .

IF you have any future desire to have this 'beautiful piece of kit' that stiffens the front suspension by keeping the struts solidly located, here is an opportunity to do it with a significant savings. I'll keep this thread open for another couple of weeks. Two more people required to obtain this full discount and shipping cost reduction.

Again - single purchase would be $625 using today's exchange rate. Group buy shipped to US is ~$430. Savings of 195 US$.

This is starting to sound more tempting. So is the deal now that it is $430 shipped to each of us OR to a central location?

daddywad

Reaction score
Hi all, no clearance problems with CSI, its the same engine as the CSL and we don't have problems with those. The bar was designed to clear the Alpina airbox when fitted with carbs. The Alpina airbox has chamfered ends that will go under the installed bar. Mark

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Wise9uy, That is the cost for shipping to a somewhat central location. I've suggested the DC area where Ohmess is. My guess is $25-40 for shipping a single bar from there to a continental US location. I'll see if I can get the weight from Daddywad to be able to estimate that more accurately.

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
So 7.7 or roughly 8 lbs. Anyone interested can get an estimate of shipping cost from Vienna VA to their location. Add about $10 for new shipping materials.

WISE9UY

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks for the update. Shipping quotes will need dimensions but I have guestimated this based on the dimension from outer edge of the strut mount top with allowance for packaging. From VA to IN should be about $15-20 with USPS with the addition of packaging so that is not bad...

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Okay, I'll bite. (Sorry to go off topic...)
What are the European tire pressure recommendations?

The debate surrounding this topic took place on Roadfly more than ten years ago. (Does anyone remember when Roadfly was a good place to visit?) Alas, I lack the technology skills to unearth the data necessary to prove my assertions. Feel free to either (1) reduce the rear tire pressures to more closely match the fronts on your V8 e39 and evaluate the handling yourself, or (2) dismiss my comments on this topic altogether.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
The question about the heim joint is actually a good one. This would appear to allow some displacement fore and aft, while retaining a consistent distance between the shock towers. Perhaps Alpina felt some fore and aft flexibility would come in handy in this particular situation:

05f39589ffef280732ae1fbb306ba540.jpg

As to the Ireland Engineering bar, it appears to me to be the same bar Carl Nelson sells, and as note above, I cannot fully close my hood with this bar installed. But yes, it is less expensive.

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The count is up to 6. Please let me know if this is incorrect:

Ohmess
Mauler
Lotuss7
Tone (Tim)
WISE9UY
Gary Knox

Any others should probably express their purchase plans relatively soon - no later than end of November.

Cheers, and happy cornering guys.

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
Since the body of our cars is made from a number of panels that are spot welded together, I feel like it's good insurance against flex to have a bar installed even though I won't be taking mine to the track. The Z8, while a completely different animal with an aluminum frame, suffers when it hits a large pothole at speed. The tops of the strut mounts move closer together, visible as a gap change for the hood & fender.
Sure, our cars are different and steel is better than aluminum, but 40+ year old steel that is subject to corrosion and fatigue? I'm going to add a bar to my car when I'm done welding up the rusty bits. It will be functional, but not pretty. I won't be part of this group order, though it's a splendid example for sure.

Ian

daddywad

Reaction score
Hello all, all the parts are assembled with quite tight tolerances. the only movement is the adjustment on the spherical joint which is there to ensure a tight fit between towers. Mark