Tesla maybe smoke and mirrors

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score

A couple of things I am wondering?

What happens if it catches fire? Is it a toxic waste site after?
How toxic is Lithium mining and production and is it possible on a huge scale?

Thermal runaway fires will eventually be solved now that Lithium batteries are used in Boeing and Airbus airplanes. In the meantime it would be reassuring if the batteries are not placed under the driver seat...

Cell phones were driving Lithium mining projects in Argentina a few years ago. Sounded like Argentina was poised to be the Saudi Arabia of lithium, which is 1000 times better than if Saudi Arabia was the Saudi Arabia of lithium. Spread the wealth my friends, and spread it to friends.

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
BMW build quality peaked with the e30 and e28, but they cost far more in inflation-adjusted dollars than the new models.

I had a 318is with 300k on the clock, and the vinyl seats looked great after all that time. Those cars were built to last.

Ugh...the newer BMWs have gotten so bad. The engineering is fantastic, the handling is fantastic but the interior is done in 4–5 short years. A bunch of the plastic trim panels are already cracking and peeling on my brother in law's 2009 335i. Our e46 was a bit better, but still had issues. After 8 years the interior plastics had turned to black goop and the rubber window seals were all disintegrating. Almost wonder if they're trying to make disposable cars...

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thermal runaway fires will eventually be solved now that Lithium batteries are used in Boeing and Airbus airplanes. In the meantime it would be reassuring if the batteries are not placed under the driver seat...

Cell phones were driving Lithium mining projects in Argentina a few years ago. Sounded like Argentina was poised to be the Saudi Arabia of lithium, which is 1000 times better than if Saudi Arabia was the Saudi Arabia of lithium. Spread the wealth my friends, and spread it to friends.
From what I have read Bolivia and Afghanistan are the Lithium Saudis. Kinda delicate relations with both.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
318 i

BMW build quality peaked with the e30 and e28, but they cost far more in inflation-adjusted dollars than the new models.

I had a 318is with 300k on the clock, and the vinyl seats looked great after all that time. Those cars were built to last.

+1 I had 2
My 318i sedan survived long commuting then 2 sons. 265K on the clock when I traded it in
My 318 ic went from me to my so to my friend's wife and she still has it with close to 300K

bulletproof

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Just read that Tesla has cancelled the 40 KW/Hr base model and for those that put their money down, they will get the 60 KW/HR with some software limitations that cut the performance back. (Wonder how hard it is to hack Tesla software?...DQ get to work!!)

So, no $50K electric car with real range for the masses. I think in the segment the 85 KW/HR car competes in, I'd consider one if I was a Luxury car shopper. (Once they disclose the cost of a new battery)

Last edited:

johanaxelson

Reaction score
Ugh...the newer BMWs have gotten so bad. The engineering is fantastic, the handling is fantastic but the interior is done in 4–5 short years. A bunch of the plastic trim panels are already cracking and peeling on my brother in law's 2009 335i. Our e46 was a bit better, but still had issues. After 8 years the interior plastics had turned to black goop and the rubber window seals were all disintegrating. Almost wonder if they're trying to make disposable cars...

I have to add my anecdotal evidence too. My 2003 E46 looks like new. No trim has degraded at all. So I am quite pleased. It is low mileage and lives in a garage though.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have to add my anecdotal evidence too. My 2003 E46 looks like new. No trim has degraded at all. So I am quite pleased. It is low mileage and lives in a garage though.

Mine just passed 170,000 KM and gets treated like a farm implement by the dog and kids. It is holding up very well and lives outdoors. The 2.5 is a very sweet little motor.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yes, but the Common Rail II 3 liter diesel is even sweeter ;)

No E46 diesel in North America unfortunately. Was on the highway with mine yesterday. 80 MPH with a roof box and getting 28 MPG. (9l/100KM) What does your diesel get at speed?

Last edited:

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Well I don't think you can compare the Fisker with the Tesla (other than the subsidies). The Fisker is totally impractical, too heavy, too thirsty. It only goes about 30 miles on a charge and gets 20 MPG when in Hybrid mode.

Leonardo Di Caprio is enjoying his though and Justin Bieber has a Chrome Fisker. Worthy folks to subsidize.

David

Site Donor
Reaction score
I can say that the Tesla Model S is no longer a rare site here in Los Angeles. I wouldnt call them common, but you do see them.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
All the talk about how you don't have to push a button to start it leaves me cold. It is a great car to drive. I was hugely impressed with my test drive. It has more of everything I need in a car, but no one is talking about what a battery costs. My current car is ten years old and runs great. Would you be in the market for a 7 year old Tesla?

Last edited:

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
Tesla to be delivered around June 1st

My wife spec'd hers out a while back and it will be delivered around June 1st. The car leaves the factory this week, but must be shipped to Florida. It is white with a black roof, 60Kwh battery that is software limited to the 40kwh range (long story, but we ordered a 40. They decided not to produce 40kwh cars due to lack of demand, so they are giving us a 60 pack for the same price with software limited to the 40 range. We can pay extra to "unlock" the battery to get more range if we want) , third row, etc. So, we will see if it really is practical to live with. Getting the heavy duty outlet put in today. This car to me is analagous to a new five series, but with the bonus of seven passenger seating for carpools, etc.

We have a 2012 Chrysler minivan for long trips with the kids, which is a great vehicle and a tremendous value.
We will see if the Tesla is all it is cracked up to be.

Scott

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Battery locked to the 40KW range sounds like a great tradeoff. If I owned a Tesla, I know I would be passing people all day. That seamless silent power makes you want to hold the pedal down. Looking forward to your observations once the new wears off.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I am interested to see what the difference in your electric bill is with the new arrival.

Battery locked to the 40KW range sounds like a great tradeoff. If I owned a Tesla, I know I would be passing people all day. That seamless silent power makes you want to hold the pedal down. Looking forward to your observations once the new wears off.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
MThey decided not to produce 40kwh cars due to lack of demand, so they are giving us a 60 pack for the same price with software limited to the 40 range. We can pay extra to "unlock" the battery to get more range if we want) , third row, etc.

Scott

That is called upselling in other industries... Will you resist the upgrade?

Enjoy!

Let's fix the thread name, Tesla may be mirrors but precisely puts out no smoke...

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
That is called upselling in other industries... Will you resist the upgrade?

Enjoy!

Let's fix the thread name, Tesla may be mirrors but precisely puts out no smoke...

I'm all for correcting the bad grammar in the thread title. I think a Tesla will burn rubber quite effectively though.