The Raven e9 project

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
After way too much time doing anything but working on the coupe, I revisited the Raven project tonight. I'm inspired. But I am a little hung up on a detail.

Not long ago, Chris @Ohmess was kind enough to send me the plastic cover for the floor wiring access port. Honestly, I was thinking of just leaving this solid as I do not have an injected car so I will likely not have wiring here. But since I have the cover, and I like the idea of another inspection point for the frame rail, I decided to cut the opening.
20230829-rail plug 1.jpg

But when I cut the opening that matched @eriknetherlands photo and also my rusty original opening, the plug will not lay down. This is Erik's photo, and I don't see the round protrusion:
20221110_225743.jpg

Mine has a little round protrusion that doesn't have a home. What am I missing? Should there me a hole in the floor tab? I'd appreciate any insight into this detail dilemma.
20230829-rail plug 3.jpg

20230829-rail plug 2.jpg

20230829-rail plug 4.jpg

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'd say 3 options:
1- get another plastic part without the pin (as your rusted original floor section shows no hole, you must have had a plug without the round pin, like mine seems to be)
2.- chop the pin off and accept the modified condition of your plastic cover. Select your favorite OCD suppressing pills to overcome any negative feelings...
3. - for this cover to be used (unmodified), yes, there apparently should be a hole in the floor. The car that it came from undoubtedly had that hole (or an opening of same function)

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I'd say 3 options:
1- get another plastic part without the pin (as your rusted original floor section shows no hole, you must have had a plug without the round pin, like mine seems to be)
2.- chop the pin off and accept the modified condition of your plastic cover. Select your favorite OCD suppressing pills to overcome any negative feelings...
3. - for this cover to be used (unmodified), yes, there apparently should be a hole in the floor. The car that it came from undoubtedly had that hole (or an opening of same function)
I am leaning towards drilling a hole. With this particular cover, it would allow it to engage positively. But I am hoping someone else has this on a coupe (although I will not go to the mat for this detail). :)

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I checked some old pics of my floor with the cover off - no hole. I don’t have any pics of the underside of the the cover though

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I thought these were only on a CSi.
My assumption is that they were only "used" on a CSi (for wiring), however my CS original floor had the hole and therefore had to be covered one way or another. Since I have this wonderful cover from Chris Ohmes, I feel I need to use it in an appropriate, if not spectacular, fashion. :D

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
My 72 CS has a similar cover installed. I actually used it to run wiring for the yaw sensors for my Schroth harnesses, which are mounted in the vertical panels at the front of the rear seats.

Not sure why the cover I sent to Stephen has that small round tab - I think that came from the Maxfish race car project stash. His car was a CSi.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Progress, though it is still slow. Most recently I have been repairing the flanges of the right side seat bridge. I feel I am close to welding this in and finishing up the right side floor. From there I can button up much of the right side sills and the A and B pillars. At least that is the current plan.
20231111-seat bridge 1.jpg
20231114-seat bridge 2.jpg
20231114-seat bridge 3.jpg
20231118-seat bridge 4.jpg
20231118-seat bridge 5.jpg
20231128-seat bridge 6.jpg