• Tapatalk is being removed immediately. There are security issues and there is no justification for having it anymore. I apolgize to those die-hard Tapatalk users but you'll need to start using the forums mobile version instead.

The Raven e9 project

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Now is a good time to port match the manifold to the head and carbs, and yes, trim all gaskets.
Yes, well, one day when I grow up and finally decide what I really want to do for fuel delivery, I will definitely do that. Honestly, the more I get into this project, the more I start to contemplate other options for more power, torque, and reliability. I know there are some (especially you Steve) that finesse the carbs to perfection. But I do wonder if an FI system will be more user friendly. I have plenty of time to ponder. Right now I just need to get this engine out so I can stare at it for a while.
EDIT: Whoa, as soon as I wrote "FI", I got a funny feeling inside my belly. I might not be authorized to use that term. o_O I still have to evaluate things, but a goal would be to use my original block (albeit perhaps bored, etc). Since my car was originally a carbed car, that may be the right answer. Too many questions, not enough answers.

Last edited:

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I took a step back, or sideways, this weekend. Rather than taking more apart, I did some studies on two areas. First was digging out a tii brake booster I have and seeing how it will interact with side draft carbs. I already know of examples where this works well, but I wanted to see/test it for myself. Here are some images of the booster installed along with the middle carb that typically conflicts with the original booster. I doubt I would use this combination of trumpets and dome screens, but you can see that there is about 3/8" (1cm) between them. I think the individual air cleaner assemblies with 90 horns that @Stevehose found might be nice.
20200705-weber tii-1.jpg

20200705-weber tii-2.jpg
20200705-weber tii-3.jpg

20200705-weber tii-4.jpg

Here is a comparison of the original booster and the tii booster. As you can see, the tii booster is about the same thickness, and much smaller diameter. I see I will have to modify the booster shaft or the linkage from the brake pedal if I use this setup.
20200705-boosters-1.jpg

Does anyone know the purpose of the two different boot assemblies? The original booster had this aluminum flange that holds the rubber boot, whereas the tii booster boot attaches right onto the booster body. Note that the E9 booster has the exact same accommodation and the smaller boot could attach right to it.
20200705-boosters-2.jpg

And I realized I have two brake master cylinders. They appear to be identical although there are slightly different casting marks between them. They are both the 23.81mm bore size. This measurement is from diameter of the metal parts of the piston (not the distance of the parts that the interior jaws are pointing at - that was just a coincidence).
20200705-MC pistons.jpg

Today's temperature in the garage - and humidity. I keep it very dry in there. Nothing will ever rust again as long as it is in this garage. :cool:
20200705-dry.jpg

JayWltrs

Site Donor
Reaction score
Not Milwaukee - just the inside of the garage. It is sweltering and soupy outside. Very much looking forward to fall!!!
Wow. I've hada veritable river running from my humidifier drain the last week here in Judd's deathbed. I think I'd need an AC & 2 humidifiers to get to 18%.

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yes, well, one day when I grow up and finally decide what I really want to do for fuel delivery, I will definitely do that. Honestly, the more I get into this project, the more I start to contemplate other options for more power, torque, and reliability. I know there are some (especially you Steve) that finesse the carbs to perfection. But I do wonder if an FI system will be more user friendly. I have plenty of time to ponder. Right now I just need to get this engine out so I can stare at it for a while.
EDIT: Whoa, as soon as I wrote "FI", I got a funny feeling inside my belly. I might not be authorized to use that term. o_O I still have to evaluate things, but a goal would be to use my original block (albeit perhaps bored, etc). Since my car was originally a carbed car, that may be the right answer. Too many questions, not enough answers.

Stephen - be careful about that 'growing up' thing. My favorite philosophical phrase is: You can only be young once, but you can be immature forever.

Gary

Last edited:

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
I like the inset dome screens and would put those on mine but they are only for 45's.

The ones that fit the 40's have a clumsy rubber seal that obscures the beautiful look of the trumpets.

IMG_7649.JPG

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Wow. I've hada veritable river running from my humidifier drain the last week here in Judd's deathbed. I think I'd need an AC & 2 humidifiers to get to 18%.
To be fair, when I snapped that photo the dehumidifier was being helped by the heat pump in cooling mode (AC). I just got home from a long day of meetings and site visits and it is 27% RH out there right now. And it has gone up just above 30% at times ;) But it is also a new building, built/finished reasonably tight. And I keep the doors and windows shut this time of year to keep that humidity out.