The Vintage Asheville/Hot Springs NC 2021 Who's going? May 20-22. Postponed to Sept 16-18

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I just confirmed that Amy and I will be there. However, as you may know, the car will not as it is in pieces. Amy considered strapping the chassis to the top of her Jeep and driving it down like the space shuttle on the back of a 747. Rather, we will park our rental car well beyond the perimeter and hope that they let us in on foot. :cool:

EDIT: We are total noobs to this event. Don't know where to be, what to do, the secret handshake... We've scheduled a pretty targeted assault - arrive Friday afternoon and leave Saturday afternoon. This will allow us to "dip our toe" in this monumental event and know how to plan better in the future (hopefully with a coupe wrapped around us).

Last edited:

3.0seeker

Reaction score
No Bud Light!!

Attachments

• 24959.jpeg
    24959.jpeg
    206 KB · Views: 108

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I just confirmed that Amy and I will be there. However, as you may know, the car will not as it is in pieces. Amy considered strapping the chassis to the top of her Jeep and driving it down like the space shuttle on the back of a 747. Rather, we will park our rental car well beyond the perimeter and hope that they let us in on foot. :cool:

EDIT: We are total noobs to this event. Don't know where to be, what to do, the secret handshake... We've scheduled a pretty targeted assault - arrive Friday afternoon and leave Saturday afternoon. This will allow us to "dip our toe" in this monumental event and know how to plan better in the future (hopefully with a coupe wrapped around us).
I'm sure we can work out a way for you to ride in with someone. You can ride in with me but probably going to be there at 7-7:30 AM.
There will be efforts to get a caravan from Asheville to Hot Springs.
Anyone can walk in so don't worry about that.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
So, I made my beer comment not because I am a beer snob (well, ok, not only because I am a beer snob), but rather because of my experience attending Octoberfest in 2019. Doug Dolan offered to buy me a beer in the BMW CCA sponsored beer garden, which I was looking forward to.

Our choices were Bud Light and Yuengling.

A German car club determines to serve up beer that has been adulterated with rice and corn sugars and infused with artificial preservatives instead of hops so as to bring the price down?? Is this because the imitation beer is made by guys with German sounding names!? I'm sorry, but that is not good enough. One would think that a group discerning enough to chose to own the ultimate driving machine could tell the difference between beer and well, a cheap imitation. One would think some consideration would be given to BMW's long history with Wartsteiner or Spaten or Gosser (ok, they are Austrian, but they make real beer).

Sorry, I'm ranting again. The experience was horrifying.

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
So, I made my beer comment not because I am a beer snob (well, ok, not only because I am a beer snob), but rather because of my experience attending Octoberfest in 2019. Doug Dolan offered to buy me a beer in the BMW CCA sponsored beer garden, which I was looking forward to.

Our choices were Bud Light and Yuengling.

A German car club determines to serve up beer that has been adulterated with rice and corn sugars and infused with artificial preservatives instead of hops so as to bring the price down?? Is this because the imitation beer is made by guys with German sounding names!? I'm sorry, but that is not good enough. One would think that a group discerning enough to chose to own the ultimate driving machine could tell the difference between beer and well, a cheap imitation. One would think some consideration would be given to BMW's long history with Wartsteiner or Spaten or Gosser (ok, they are Austrian, but they make real beer).

Sorry, I'm ranting again. The experience was horrifying.
Yes, the days of Spaten Bier Garden at the Vintage, were the heydays of beer sponsors for BMW events. They were also at a few Ofests.
There were even some frauleins serving beer.
Gary

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I’ll be there too. Really looking forward to the event and meeting everyone. Staying at the Clarion also.

Will be driving up from Atlanta.
James, I have a group in Atlanta. BMW Classics of Georgia. Send me an email with a photo of your car and a phone number. I will add you to group.

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
Does anyone have a suggestion where to stay in Ashville? I hope to get there Thursday afternoon May 20. What's happening on the 3 days May 20,21,&22? Then is there any event in Spartanburg on Sunday May 23?

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My wife and I are staying in someone's private space found through VRBO. It is a charming little "modern cabin". Given we'll only be in this space for about 8 or 10 hours, sleeping for much of it, we payed far too much. But Amy has an aversion to staying in hotels, so the VRBO cabin it was. :cool:

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Does anyone have a suggestion where to stay in Ashville? I hope to get there Thursday afternoon May 20. What's happening on the 3 days May 20,21,&22? Then is there any event in Spartanburg on Sunday May 23?
Look through this post earlier. A number of places have been mentioned. I'm at the Clarion which is the crazy place for all the Friday and Saturday night activity.
Many of us have signed up to go to the Foundation on Friday.
I believe it's mentioned on the website.
Here is the website to register. Not sure how full it is. It will say.

Steve and I and maybe some others will be driving up Thursday morning, I think.
You are welcome to drive with us in fact you can stay at my house Wednesday night. I have room.
Gary

Mot27cars

Site Donor
Reaction score
I’ll be coming from northern Indiana on Wednesday if anyone ones to caravan.
I know some are coming from Michigan also.
I’ll probably drive straight through.....
if I can.... lol

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I’m at the Home2 Suites next door to the Clarion

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
If ok with my host I think I’ll stay at chez Gary tues night and drive up to Asheville wed and explore

Look through this post earlier. A number of places have been mentioned. I'm at the Clarion which is the crazy place for all the Friday and Saturday night activity.
Many of us have signed up to go to the Foundation on Friday.
I believe it's mentioned on the website.
Here is the website to register. Not sure how full it is. It will say.

Steve and I and maybe some others will be driving up Thursday morning, I think.
You are welcome to drive with us in fact you can stay at my house Wednesday night. I have room.
Gary

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
So looking forward to The Vintage 2021. I haven’t been since 2017. Vehicle prep and the drive down always reminds me of Springsteen’s “Open All Night” (Except the car wash part):

“Well, I had the carburetor, baby, cleaned and checked
With her line blown out she's hummin' like a turbojet
Propped her up in the backyard on concrete blocks
For a new clutch plate and a new set of shocks
Took her down to the carwash, check the plugs and points
Well, I'm goin' out tonight, I'm gonna rock that joint

Early north Jersey industrial skyline
I'm a all-set cobra jet creepin' through the nighttime
Gotta find a gas station, gotta find a pay phone
This turnpike sure is spooky at night when you're all alone
Gotta hit the gas, baby, I'm running late
This New Jersey in the mornin' like a lunar landscape”