Trunk Roundel Gasket

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Bump. Just checking for any progress. BTW, SFDon shared with me that he found an NOS example still in the bag but apparently had shrunk up some after only 45 years.

I’m not a total deadbeat. I emailed my modeler about wrapping this up and performing a few more projects. He is currently traveling but returns soon. I simply haven’t spent any time on this one. Summer means home projects for me. :)

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Finally sent over a detailed technical specification that meets international bar napkin standards.

FF77F154-02DE-453F-BB85-C27BA3DF7C63.jpeg

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
come on guys ... more for the two-fer-me club. that's 8 in 40 minutes ... lets get 20 more in the next hour or two

Simufly

Reaction score
Two for me please. again to the UK like Marco 54 above, (combine shipping perhaps?)
Simon.

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Mark
If you are willing to ship to the UK, I'll take 2 please.
Cheers.

I’ll ship them anywhere. My plan is to test fit with an ABS print. If the flexibility is sufficienr then we can look into ABS as a finished product. I like the idea of a rubber-like material. Since there is enough interest for a batch order, I will price out a eurethane casting option.

Next steps are to send one to myself. If it checks out I will send a few more prints to some members for a second set of eyes and fitment testing. From there I will take orders and have the parts produced. Should be a few more weeks before testing is done.

Marco 54

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I’ll ship them anywhere. My plan is to test fit with an ABS print. If the flexibility is sufficienr then we can look into ABS as a finished product. I like the idea of a rubber-like material. Since there is enough interest for a batch order, I will price out a eurethane casting option.

Next steps are to send one to myself. If it checks out I will send a few more prints to some members for a second set of eyes and fitment testing. From there I will take orders and have the parts produced. Should be a few more weeks before testing is done.

Thanks Mark - that sounds brilliant!!!

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Mark,
I will get a couple, not sure if you mentioned a price,
with a Polyjet you could print them directly in a rubber like material
Not applicable to this, but you can print in 2 materials at the same time

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Mark,
I will get a couple, not sure if you mentioned a price,
with a Polyjet you could print them directly in a rubber like material
Not applicable to this, but you can print in 2 materials at the same time

Polyjet is very expensive to print and the result isn’t production grade. It is also very UV-sensitive.

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
do you mean not production grade because of durability? or UV?
I looked at one yesterday, pretty cool

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
do you mean not production grade because of durability? or UV?
I looked at one yesterday, pretty cool

Both. It is advertised by the manufacturer (Stratasys) as a prototype material. Documented disadtantages include breakdown over time and UV instability. The flexible parts are “rubber-like”. It’s greaty for sexy POC’s. It is terribly expensive to print. The gasket above would cost $70 to print with PolyJet "rubber-like" photopolymer.

A urethane cast of 100 parts will come in at $35 each. As it stands, I will likely just print these. It was established on the previous pages that this gasket serves as a buffer/spacer and not necessarily a water barrier. I think that ASA (UV-tolerant ABS) will work just find and cost members $20 shipped or less.

Last edited: