Upgrading to a Parallel Flow Condenser

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
here is a drawing showing the outer edge of the 16 x 20 (22 inch wide) in orange
The flange is inboard of the mounting holes
front view - showing 16 x 20 core 22 wide.jpg

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
If you buy the same condenser and fan you can use the mounting my design
The fan drawing is from their website

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score

xjan99

Reaction score
Resurrecting an old thread. What about adding rear AC? Like on e24 or similar. I remember a E9 also with AC system in the trunk and blowing air from the hat shelf.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Resurrecting an old thread. What about adding rear AC? Like on e24 or similar. I remember a E9 also with AC system in the trunk and blowing air from the hat shelf.
I would think that would involve plumbing lines to another evaporator in the trunk, which would be a huge project. Before going there, I would first do the heater core shut off valve - https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/diy-heater-bypass-valve.10824/, tint the windows, install a updated condensor and a more efficient fan in front of the radiator - https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/d...compressor-and-parallel-flow-condenser.38364/, and then look into an upgrade evaporator - https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/diy-aftermarket-evaporator-installed-in-a-coupe.38112/.

Last edited:

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
BTW, I have the 2 brackets to hold the fan to the condenser for sale
I made them for another member but he reneged
$100

Blinkling

Site Donor
Reaction score

I like the idea a lot. I thought about doing it but I have a subwoofer box taking up room in the trunk of my coupe currently.

The supply and return air ducts could possibly be placed through the back wall of the car where the rear armrest is. You could have the armrest flipped up to hide them for a "correct" look and then leave it down most of the time for normal use. Any second jet of cool air would be a big upgrade. On newer cars with built-in rear A/C they sometimes use an expansion valve with an electric on/off valve on it so you could disable just the rear system if you wanted to (assuming you have a front and rear system installed).

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I’ve seen rear air in a 2002 and the e9 that sold recently on BaT but neither had front air, I don’t know how you would plumb two separate systems.

Blinkling

Site Donor
Reaction score
I think that adding tees into the high side and low side lines would be easy since most folks are having new hoses made anyway. And I think you'd control the compressor with a low-pressure cutoff switch on the low side line (the way Fords do it) to cut off the compressor if both evaporators aren't exchanging enough heat. To me, the biggest challenge would be routing a big, fat #10 barrier hose from the engine bay to the trunk without it being apparent inside the cabin. One would probably want to have it wrapped in some kind of insulation also so that it wouldn't get condensate on it and make a wet spot under the carpet.

And you'd need a separate set of controls for fan speed and the like.